New Trailer Pickup May 24th Weekend Weather - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
New Trailer Pickup May 24th Weekend Weather

We are picking up a trailer next year. Build date is January 16. I wanted it to sit for a while to off gas, let the glues, caulking and resin cure. I’m becoming more sensitive to that stuff as I get older.

We are trying to decide when to pickup the trailer and the route home.

Option 1, Victoria Day Weekend, AKA May Two Four, May 16, 17, 18. I drive out the week before and pickup the trailer and my wife and 2 boys fly out to Seattle or Vancouver and I pick them up.

Option 2, Wait till June 27 when the boys get out of school , we all drive out, and make it a 3 week trip.

My uncertainty is the weather. In the middle of May, what will the weather be like? Will there still be a substantial amount of snow as we come across the Rockies. Will we experience freezing temps at night forcing dry camping? Will the campgrounds be open in the western states and western Canada? The ideal route would be to go up through Hope BC , onto Banff and across Canada as I haven’t done this yet. The price of gas will be a big deciding factor, it’s always cheaper in the states.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Me too

I’d be interested in knowing the weather and road conditions of some of the mountain passes too. We were considering April or May. Depending on the weather patterns it might be later. I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The Escape gathering at Osoyoos is likely to be near Victoria Day weekend, if you are interested in touring a bunch of escapes and meeting a heap of nice folks.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I always recommend that new trailer owners pick up their trailer a few days before the Escape Trailer Rally. Last year it was May 23 to 26 and aprox 180 Escape trailers showed up from all over North America. It is a great way to meet fellow Escape owners and ensure all aspects of your trailer is working properly before you get to far away from BC.
Generally the weather is good for travel that time of year.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Generally the weather is good for travel that time of year. this may be true up in Canada but we had a hell of a trip home this year from the rally with fog, rain, thunderstorms and sleet and freezing rain. Tornado alley is quite active that tine of year depending on your route....
Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Generally the weather is good for travel that time of year. this may be true up in Canada but we had a hell of a trip home this year from the rally with fog, rain, thunderstorms and sleet and freezing rain. Tornado alley is quite active that tine of year depending on your route....
Specifically, where is tornado alley?? I am an avid camper but mainly Ontario.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Specifically, where is tornado alley?? I am an avid camper but mainly Ontario.
This is the risk map
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Doug,
We greatly prefer the cooler weather and smaller crowds in your option one, plus the chance to get to the national gathering, BUT

Since option two gives you the chance to spend three weeks with the boys, I'd take that one, so that option one doesn't become a race to get home to make a school schedule.

Pick the country you want to travel in without regard for fuel prices. It really would only be a modest amount, especially if you don't have to buy three plane tickets. Depending on your sons' ages, get their thoughts, too.

We found the weather to be perfectly fine in mid-May until we got up to Whitehorse and the town's water pipes hadn't thawed yet.

Fun, either way.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We are picking up a trailer next year. Build date is January 16. I wanted it to sit for a while to off gas, let the glues, caulking and resin cure. I’m becoming more sensitive to that stuff as I get older.
I'm just curious if ETI assists with this in any way? I would think that ventilation would help versus a closed up trailer. If you have solar could they just open one awning window near the rear and run the MaxxFan on low? Heating the trailer too may speed up any off gassing but they probably don't want to worry about babysitting trailers that they are storing. I worked on a brand new 21 for another forum member (~6 weeks since completion and including a cross country return from Chilliwack) and it still had a very "new" smell but nothing obnoxious.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I always recommend that new trailer owners pick up their trailer a few days before the Escape Trailer Rally. Last year it was May 23 to 26 and aprox 180 Escape trailers showed up from all over North America. It is a great way to meet fellow Escape owners and ensure all aspects of your trailer is working properly before you get to far away from BC.
Generally the weather is good for travel that time of year.
Great tip! Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
I wouldn't hesitate to drive Vancouver to Calgary around May 24 weekend. We live in the Vancouver area with family in Calgary so have done that drive lots of times. I guess there's always a chance of bad weather but certainly not expected. We picked up our trailer last March and left for a month a week later. The smell wasn't too bad and I think it still smells exactly the same 6 months later, like new vinyl. Maybe we aren't too sensitive to that type of thing.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
May Long Weekend, in the Canadian Rocky Mountains (and Alberta foothills), you should *always* expect snow...!
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #13

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input.

I think we're going to wait till July to pickup the trailer. We have a January build date, but I am going to talk to them about pushing it out a bit. Originally I was just going to ask my brother if he wanted to come but my wife and kids said they definitely wanted to go. I think this is what Plan A is.

June 25 Kids are done school, pack the truck, head west
June 28 Stay in Vancouver, explore, never been there.
June 29 A Monday, depending on the Holiday, schedule pickup.
June 30 Camp Locally
July 1 Camp near Revelstoke
July 2,3 Camp at Lake Louise
July 4,5 Camp at Banff
July 6,7 Camp near Calgary, attend the Stampede and Rodeo
July 8 Camp in Saskatewan
July 9 Camp in Manitoba
July10 Camp near Kenora Ontario, Rushing River PP??
July 11 Camp at the top of Lake Superior, NeysPP??
July 12 Camp at Lake Superior PP, we have been before, amazing lake front sites.

A trip across the Trans Canada has been on the bucket list for a while.

Really it all depends on the boys getting the time off work.