Newfoundland and Labrador Trip Report - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
Newfoundland and Labrador Trip Report

We spent 6 weeks this summer camping in Newfoundland and Labrador. The ferry was no problem for our little corgi. We sailed during the day going and at night coming back. Much preferred the night crossing, the cabin was quite comfortable, thought the weather was quite rough. The excellent crew must have clamped our trailer to the floor when the waves hit, we could see scuffs on the tires. I bet they were rocking and we were surrounded by huge rv trailers and buses within inches of the trailer. But no damage at all. It was interesting to see how they chained down the motorbikes too.
We covered most of the island, Port Aux Basque, north to Cape Onion, all the way east to St. Johns and South to Cape Saint Mary's. High lights: 5 days in Labrador, the bugs were epic but so was the scenery, salmon rivers, bears and beaches.
Whales and icebergs, all around the north of Newfoundland, close to shore, we watched humpbacks for hours, WOW. Great hiking in Gros Morne, Lark Harbor area, Twillingate, Coastal trail, Terra Nova and around Cape Onion. Kayaking the fjords in the west and from our campsite in Dildo Run (yes really that's a Provincial park name, right next to Virgin arm and Cuckold head ). We met a lot of great folks. Bumped into only one other Escape at Blow Me Down Prov. Park, Tumbleweed on their cross country trip from British Columbia in their 17. We did spy another 19 parked in the rv park near the ferry to Labrador.

TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
This sounds like a fabulous trip! What month did you travel?

Old 10-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

July 2 to August 12
Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the report! We're planning a 13-week trip from Seattle to SE Canada next summer with only about 9 days on Newfoundland Island but this makes we glad that we decided to include Newfoundland.
tiercel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiercel View Post
Thanks for the report! We're planning a 13-week trip from Seattle to SE Canada next summer with only about 9 days on Newfoundland Island but this makes we glad that we decided to include Newfoundland.
Sounds like a great trip. Newfoundland is a fantastic place, but HUGE, 9 days can give you a great taste and the west is the most scenic in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
That sounds like a wonderful trip and one I'd love to take. Where did you get on the ferry and how long was the trip? I have a dog and she's my main concern. What did you do about potty breaks for your dog? Did you get to visit your dog very often?
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
That sounds like a wonderful trip and one I'd love to take. Where did you get on the ferry and how long was the trip? I have a dog and she's my main concern. What did you do about potty breaks for your dog? Did you get to visit your dog very often?
We took the ferry from North Sydney Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basque Newfoundland. It's a longish process, we got in line around 10, loaded and off around noon, about 6 1/2 hours going. So we were on the island around 6:30pm. Pets must stay either in your vehicle (which you can not return to) or in the kennel in a crate. I would not suggest the kennel unless your dog doesn't mind lots of barking and being crated. The few I saw in the kennel were very upset and noisy. It's a tiny room on deck but the upside is that you can visit with your dog anytime, take her out of the crate. There is a sand box in the kennel room for potty breaks. Tally, our corgi, is one reason we really preferred the night crossing. We left her in the truck, gave her her good night biscuit and left her sleeping in her own bed. You do leave a sign on your dash that there is a pet on board and the windows cracked. The night crossing has the same time line as day so we arrived back in Nova Scotia at 6:30 am. Tally was very happy to see us each time but not frantic or upset. I did go back to peek in on her the first ferry, just a few minutes after we left her before they closed the car decks and she was sleeping peacefully, so for her I think she felt secure in her own truck. The trip was well worth the ferry to us, in fact we plan to return in the not too distant future and drive back on the Labrador highway.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I want to see an iceberg as big as Delaware. Your trip report brought back memories of my one camping trip to Newfoundland way back in the 70's. We also took the ?-Blue Nose- I think it was, from Sidney Mines to Port aux Basque and drove north many miles, the last 50 I think being on gravel roads, to a marvelous fishing village cove (forgot the name) with scattered lobsters on the shore, traps, unpainted, battered housing that seemed to us like being back in the 19th century. Remember meeting folks who had never seen a dollar bill. We stayed one night at some hunting cabin with no screens, a door that wouldn't close, and suffered through the night from relentless dive-bombing mosquitos.

Now I must get back there to see it all again. Assuming, of course, the roads have since been paved and going east across to St Johns is now easier.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
We left her in the truck, gave her her good night biscuit and left her sleeping in her own bed. You do leave a sign on your dash that there is a pet on board and the windows cracked. I did go back to peek in on her the first ferry, just a few minutes after we left her before they closed the car decks and she was sleeping peacefully, so for her I think she felt secure in her own truck.
We had the same experience with our dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
and suffered through the night from relentless dive-bombing mosquitos.

Now I must get back there to see it all again. Assuming, of course, the roads have since been paved and going east across to St Johns is now easier.
The road's fine but, oh, those mosquitos

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I know Minnesota mosquitos are big as dogs, but I do recall very well that Newfies are much bigger.