North of the Border advice? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
The only problem I've ever had was proving that 2 toddlers were mine at the Calgary airport. Both were exceedingly unhelpful (and got passports when we got home).
By BOTH, do you mean the toddlers? Did they deny knowing you?
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
On our way back from Chilliwack last Friday, the U.S. agent asked where we were coming from and I simply said, "Canada." (I wasn't being smart, it was the first thing that came to mind.) he smiled and almost laughed. I then realized he meant town and said Chilliwack. We declared our Washington apple (no problem), our wine (no problem) and wanted to know if we had hard liquor (which we didn't). He did ask if we knew our trailer license number, (which I don't have memorized) and started to look for it and he said "never mind" I think if you have your trailer number memorized, it might be suspicious. The only problem we had at the border was that it took an hour. (Later Julie kept saying, "I can't believe you said CANADA, to the border agent.")
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
By BOTH, do you mean the toddlers? Did they deny knowing you?
The border patrol asked my daughters who we were and they responded with our given names, rather than mom & dad. Regardless of how the question was phrased, my daughters just wouldn't give them the answer desired. I was able to find all of the documentation from entry. I couldn't prove that they were mine, I could prove that I brought them in.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Crossing into Vermont on a BMW R1200 GS a few years ago and the customs official
said that's my next bike. I asked him if the Harley parked by the building was his. He said yes and he liked the bike but he wanted to trade because the roads in Vermont were too rough. I got off my bike and offered to let him sit on it which he did. I told him he could take it for a ride ; his response was " love to but no one around to replace me and the cars are starting to back up ". I gave him some websites to check out and he was very appreciative. I have had some tough officers also, but this guy was a real breath of fresh air.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #25

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Make sure you take the ferry across the lake and hit Ainsworth hot springs if you like that sort thing. Also on that side Nelson is a really neat town to go for lunch and some shopping or a wander around. Kaslo is an enjoyable small town with a restored Victorian paddlewheeler to tour around. Sandon has a ghost town to wander around and also there is Idaho peak for hiking and wildflower displays depending on time of year. Nakusp is a little further but also has hot springs and a beautiful little lakefront trail. As you pass through Creston if you are hungry the Real Food cafe or the Other Side cafe is good and also Tims Fish and Chips just past the mall (where the Overwaitea grocery store is) on right hand side. Crawford bay is small so you will want to get groceries either in Creston or Nelson.
The border crossing at Porthill is smaller and generally a bit more friendly than the larger Kingsgate one if you have a choice.
Have fun.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
While on a cruise tour to the Yukon gold trail, a Pakistani couple forgot to bring their passports. Their was no one manning the check point into Canada. But coming back, into the US we were stopped checked. They held us all until they could sort it out. I volunteered to leave them in Canada. After some time they let us go on. The ship was raising the gang plank as we arrived on the dock. But after a mad dash to the boat, we were allowed on board to sail on.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #27

crossing the border is no problem if your fridge etc is empty. Canada has lots of places to stock up. however the booze is expensive. so if needed bring a couple of litres. 1 liter each
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Crawford Bay? Great place! Check out the Inn nearby that was built by the heirs to the Wedgwood Fortune. Cost $400k turn 'o century. B&B last I was there. Take the free ferry to Nelson, an old silver mining town. Our experience with Canadian customs has been smooth.
Go to website to ck items, mostly citrus. Otherwise sit back, relax & enjoy the ride.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Nelson is a very interesting, happy place...takes me back to the late 60s with a giant "HEAD SHOP" in the middle of town and about 50% of the townfolk dressed in tye-dye and smiling way more the usual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Crawford Bay? Great place! Check out the Inn nearby that was built by the heirs to the Wedgwood Fortune. Cost $400k turn 'o century. B&B last I was there. Take the free ferry to Nelson, an old silver mining town. Our experience with Canadian customs has been smooth.
Go to website to ck items, mostly citrus. Otherwise sit back, relax & enjoy the ride.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'
As the others have said, we don't cross with any fruits or veggies, it is always easy and fun to stop and buy in another store, (I love checking out the various places). The only issue we have ever had once was with dog food, it was not in the original container...We had to turn around and go buy more food in the bag as Lamb is on the list of "not allowed."
islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Those things are nice to know. I brought dog food over and back, and it was in a generic container. I was lucky, I guess, because it was out of sight and I was not asked. Next time I will be a bit more prepared.