Okanagan North Camp Grounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Okanagan North Camp Grounds

One of our favorite places to camp is Okanagan North Provincial Camp Site in the Summerland area of BC. For the last 8 years we've tagged up with in-laws for two week stays. The camping reservation system, although fair, is most stress full. The reservation system requires first a log in, then a requested site number, dates, equipment size (17' in our case) and then a first come first served race at exactly 7:00am to book the requested site. If you book 2 seconds too soon or too late... you missed it and have to start all over again. This year it took 8 computers, and 3 mornings (attempts) to anchor 2 sites for the 2 week spread. But we did it.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Guess our reservation system in MB is better see my post in the current "Towing" thread.

Good you were able to get the reservation you wanted.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I camped there in our tent trailer with our kids over 20 years ago. It is a great site. But we witnessed how the reservation system brings out the worst in folks. Not sure if you could even reserve back then, but if it was full, you had to find a site where someone is leaving to get for yourself.

When we went in, we stayed in the overflow, as we got their late. I was up real early in the morn to check things out. I ended up seeing an elderly couple packing up, right on the beach, and found they were leaving, and we could have their site. They actually had the site booked for a couple more days, but because they were seniors, did not pay, and could leave whenever. That was all good, I sent my wife over right away to squat there, while I went after the trailer to set up.

Upon leaving, there was a nice couple with small kids that we told could have our site as we were leaving. As we started to pack up our stuff, these two women with their horde of unruly children saw this, and started hauling things over. I told them the site was taken by someone else, and they just rudely said too bad, they were there, and who was going to move them. I actually could have just gone and paid for another days camping if I wanted, that option was open to me, and in hindsight wish I had of done that, rather than tell the nice couple what happened.

Even now, I keep hearing other horror stories of booking into some of the popular BC parks during peak season. Fortunately for us now, we are always going to them in the off season.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
One of our favorite places to camp is Okanagan North Provincial Camp Site in the Summerland area of BC. For the last 8 years we've tagged up with in-laws for two week stays. The camping reservation system, although fair, is most stress full. The reservation system requires first a log in, then a requested site number, dates, equipment size (17' in our case) and then a first come first served race at exactly 7:00am to book the requested site. If you book 2 seconds too soon or too late... you missed it and have to start all over again. This year it took 8 computers, and 3 mornings (attempts) to anchor 2 sites for the 2 week spread. But we did it.
My first job (actually second I guess - I was a BC Parks surveyor for 1.5 years) was as Park Planner and my first assignment was to redesign the Okanagan North Campground. It was originally a day use area and we converted the parking lots to campsites. Glad you like it. My last job with Parks was to design the Bear Creek campground a few miles north of there.
Regarding the BC reservation system. Been there done that - well Gerri has.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Looking for 15b
We tried to book at Osoyoos, Haynes Point for late June and there was only one site in the campground available on the start date we wanted. Needless to say I didn't get it at the appointed booking time which wasn't surprising! There was actually also a double site but if you aren't booking both you can only book as a single a week before so not an option.
Two campgrounds in the Kootenay's that were not on reservations are now on and of course when you work there are only certain start dates for vacations so chances of getting a good site are remote to impossible. It's unfortunate as I am sure we will move away from camping at the provincial parks.
Don't know what the answer is but it is frustrating!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote