Opinions about better Campgrounds ?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B SOLD
I thank you for each & all replies & suggestions.

We are NEWBIES & this will be our maiden epic drive up to Chilliwack & back to Florida, so we will try to be safe, comfortable with all amenities & with people around us.

We are planning our trip in mid to late May 2016 along with our Schnauzer to pick up the 17B, hang around some in & around Chilliwack, attend the Escape Osoyoos Rally at the end of May & start our leisurely trip back to Florida.
Once we decide our route from Chilliwack to Florida, we will research & visit people & places on our way back.

On the way up, we are driving to Austin, TX on I 10, attend a wedding & start on Monday May 9th to make it to our appointment on Monday May 16th in Chilliwack.
I am still looking into the different routes to get there from Austin about 2500 miles.

I am sure as we camp more we would be open to more camping places, Walmarts, boondocking.....

This is what I could gather from the suggestions which would suitable in OUR case.

- Stay at KOA campgrounds(Holiday Inn...ha), become a KOA member for the discounts & get a Map of their Campgrounds
- Yes, we will stick to Interstates for the most part
- Within reason, the rents of the Campgrounds will not be a consideration, at this point.

How do I find info about the RV resorts ? I imagine those will be nice.

Thanks much, with best regards.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I agree with Bob's (Padlin) comments on the first page. We used a paper based campground directory, Woodalls, for years, and now use an "All Stays" app. These show campgrounds in the immediate area, or any area, with a description of facilities, reviews, cost, location, etc.

Do keep public campgrounds on your list, we've found these to be the best. Many of the state & county CG are very pleasant with nice facilities. They are usually not as crammed together as private CG. I'm confident you will find this true as you become comfortable with travelling. We prefer National Forest camps but that usually comes with a pit toilet and no shower.

I dislike memberships. In our experience they do as intended, push you towards a particular campground. This even if it's not the best in the area.

And remember, camping is an adventure. It'll stretch your world, from amazingly wonderful to unpleasant. The balance is far superior to sitting at home though.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post
How do I find info about the RV resorts ? I imagine those will be nice.

Thanks much, with best regards.
That is a difficult question. I've found that adding "resort" to the campground's name doesn't have much to do with the quality of the facilities. Most of the time it means the hookups will be in the wrong place & the price will be higher. I have managed to find & stay in a few true resorts, with hot tubs, etc but just as often I've found ones that I wouldn't go back to.

Reading RV Park Reviews can be useful as long as you understand that everyone has their own idea of what makes a "Good" campground.

I also really like staying at county parks. More difficult to find, but ofter worth the trouble. Also worth checking are city parks. Many are free for at least the first night, often with at least water & electric. A good campground app on a smart phone can help. I use AllStays Camp & RV and for non commercial parks the Ultimate Campground Project app. While the apps are easier to use, both can be used on a browser at their websites.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I find that unless I am staying at a specific location for more than 3 consecutive nights, full-services is a waste of time and $ for me. If electricity is available that is great and we use it. If not, we are fine with solar and batteries. I normally dump the holding tanks and fill the freshwater tank when leaving a site and the storage capacities on my Escape easily lasts me for at least 3 days. Longer than 3 days and I may have to go to a dump/fill station at mid-stay, thus full hookups become attractive.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've found that adding "resort" to the campground's name doesn't have much to do with the quality of the facilities. Most of the time it means the hookups will be in the wrong place...
I get that "resort" in the name doesn't mean much, but why would it mean hookups in the wrong place, any more than any other style of serviced site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I also really like staying at county parks. More difficult to find, but ofter worth the trouble. Also worth checking are city parks. Many are free for at least the first night, often with at least water & electric.
We have found a couple of good municipal campgrounds. Sometimes the municipality has access to land that a private operator couldn't afford, treats it as parkland (rather than a crowed parking lot), and operates it economically and without needing to make a profit. The result can be pleasant (although not luxurious) and and excellent value.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The hookups are on the wrong side because the are installed to accommodate those huge motor homes that like to park with the front window facing the 'view'. Those are the common clients at 'resort' parks.
Attached Thumbnails
salmon.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The hookups are on the wrong side because the are installed to accommodate those huge motor homes that like to park with the front window facing the 'view'. Those are the common clients at 'resort' parks.
Thanks.
The services are in the same place (rearward on driver's side) on both trailers and motorhomes, but if the site is set up to accommodate motorhomes going in forward, they would be wrong for a trailer (and for anyone backing in a motorhome). I haven't run across this arrangement, but it does make sense for some locations.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Sometimes the hookups are on the wrong side because the builders wanted to save money by installing a single services pedestal to serve two adjacent sites.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
One disadvantage of full hookups is that there is no hose set-up for rinsing the sewer hose as there usually is at a dump station. That may mean that full hookup sites have people using the potable water connection to rinse their dump hose. Some of us consider a hose for rinsing an amenity.

"Safe" is just about any campground in season or even out of season on weekends. Weekdays out of season one might be more careful about where to camp if no one or few are around. There should be a good number of people out in mid-May and after.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #30

I carry a potable water hose for the city water fill and I carry an old garden hose for rinsing the stinky. Detach potable hose and attach garden hose.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Sometimes the hookups are on the wrong side because the builders wanted to save money by installing a single services pedestal to serve two adjacent sites.
That makes even more sense, and I have seen it where there is little or no view consideration and the campground is not particularly resort-like.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #32

Quote:
I carry a potable water hose for the city water fill and I carry an old garden hose for rinsing the stinky. Detach potable hose and attach garden hose.
Yes, we carry a rinse hose. Sometimes there may be no hose at the dump also.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #33

Do you mean no hose at the dump, or no faucet?
Never experienced that.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I wait to dump at the "regular" dump station that they almost always have hidden somewhere in the commercial places.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Whenever possible I usually use the exterior shower hose to rinse out the sewer hose. I never let the two touch, and it has the added benefit of being able to use hot water to rinse.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Do you mean no hose at the dump, or no faucet?
Never experienced that.
No hose. It has been the case more than once. Sometimes no sewer rinse faucet.

On fill faucets, we prefer having a fill faucet at other than the dump station. Sometimes places have a fill faucet only at the dump.

Also have seen an awful hose or two at potable water where we might switch to our own. Usually no hose at potable so most of the time we are using our own.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I wait to dump at the "regular" dump station that they almost always have hidden somewhere in the commercial places.
Yes, we do that due to no rinse hose at the site. May go to the dump only for rinse hose. Also go to the dump when the valve is lower than dump spot.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On several occasions we have encountered a campground dump spot a significant distance from the campground. They have two hoses, one near the dump marked non potable the other is often at the other end of the "island".' And marked potable. However, there is no evidence of a backflow prevention device visible. It spooks me thinking there is only one water line coming to this remote site and no provision for the prohibition of a cross connection" . I had over a hundred protected water sources in the parks and took clean safe water very seriously, I hope it's that way everywhere.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dave now you have me all paranoid -- I better have a beer!!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Make sure you bring your dog's vaccination records and so forth, we needed them at the border and have been asked for proof of rabies shots at a couple campgrounds. One place even wanted to see the trailers registration!!

Do keep in mind what Jon mentioned, everyone has their own idea of what constitutes the BEST campground, kind of like movies. In time you'll try different types and come up with your own BEST.