Opinions about better Campgrounds ?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I carry a potable water hose for the city water fill and I carry an old garden hose for rinsing the stinky. Detach potable hose and attach garden hose.
Why the separate hose? If one just takes a bit of care you could easily use the potable hose. This is what I do on the rare occasion I use the sewer hose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why the separate hose? If one just takes a bit of care you could easily use the potable hose. This is what I do on the rare occasion I use the sewer hose.
I'm being anal.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm being anal.
Lots of "anality" on this forum!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We camped at a Thousand Trails campground over Thanksgiving and they demanded proof of registration and insurance for both our trailer and tow. (She mumbled something about their insurance company was requiring it.) Guy next to us complained he never carried insurance on his trailer (??) so they made him buy a temporary policy through their insurance company. The whole experience was a little strange.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We camped at a Thousand Trails campground over Thanksgiving and they demanded proof of registration and insurance for both our trailer and tow. (She mumbled something about their insurance company was requiring it.)
Were they looking for liability insurance? That would be strange, as no other business that I've heard of checks for liability insurance for other vehicles.

If they were looking for comprehensive (fire, theft, etc) or collision coverage, that again is strange, because it's not their problem any more than it would be for a car (which need not carry this coverage) or other personal belongings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Guy next to us complained he never carried insurance on his trailer (??) so they made him buy a temporary policy through their insurance company.
Liability coverage for my trailer is included (at no extra cost) with the tow vehicle's policy; although they do issue me a proof of insurance card, I can easily see someone not getting or not carrying this card. I don't carry other insurance on that trailer, because the trailer is not worth enough to make it worthwhile.

If a campground insisted that I needed to buy insurance from them, my only question for them would be the best place to turn around so I could leave.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Jim I have to say that is a little disgusting ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If a campground insisted that I needed to buy insurance from them, my only question for them would be the best place to turn around so I could leave.
Brian couldn't be more correct. If some campground is stating that their insurance company insists that all its customers prove they have insurance, it would be an industry wide practice and every campground would ask the same thing. There is no justification for this type of intrusion that I can imagine. It reeks "extortion." I too would ask for the best place to turn around but I would probably include an expletive in doing so.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim I have to say that is a little disgusting ! :nonono[emoji14]at
Seriously, why? Do you not have basin faucets by the toilet in the house?

Do folks actually stick the water house right into the sewer house, and if so, why?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Brian,
My auto policy extends full liability and comp to the trailer, but that is only when on the hitch. Off the hitch, in campground or storage it must have a separate policy for coverage.
My guess is in this litigious society there was an incident or two at their campgrounds where the folks had no insurance and sued the organization, so they're now requiring verification of insurance. Just a guess, but very likely.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Do folks actually stick the water house right into the sewer house, and if so, why?
If you spend time waiting in line at a dump station, you will see enough that you will want your own, separate hose. I carry a standard garden hose I use to connect to my black tank flush system, and use it to wash the sewer hose if the station doesn't have one. And yes, people do stick the hose inside the sewer hose. Not sure why - maybe to prevent splatter? (I also wear disposable gloves).
Old 12-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #51

Quote:

Jim there is no telling what someone before you has done . The second hose 12 bucks , marked sewer on it and kept separate from your fresh hose . We also carry a bleach and water spray bottle to spray facet before we hook up with our fresh . At your home you have a little control of your cleanliness in the bath area . Out in campgrounds you need to be careful . Pat
Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I use a separate hose and keep it separate. No matter how careful you are, contamination is sometimes hard to avoid. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I use a separate hose and keep it separate. No matter how careful you are, contamination is sometimes hard to avoid. Loren
This reminds me of the explanation we would give Newbys up in Tuktoyaktuk when the water truck would break down. No need to worry because they could just rinse out the honey wagon (septic) and you would still get delivery!!!!!! We survived. Peter
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #54

I am either dense or lack worry about things, because I just can't see how with a bit of care any contamination of your water hose would happen. Probably the first idea.

I also don't use gloves when dumping. If I use the slinky when dumping, I do wash my hands with soap and water, as they were likely dirty to start with.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #55

Like Jim B., I see no real risk of contaminating my freshwater hose in rinsing out my sewer hose if that's all I had to use. Of course, that's a completely different situation from getting fresh water to fill the trailer's tank from a hose provided at the dumpsite that other people may have used to rinse their sewer hose.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
My auto policy extends full liability and comp to the trailer, but that is only when on the hitch. Off the hitch, in campground or storage it must have a separate policy for coverage.
My guess is in this litigious society there was an incident or two at their campgrounds where the folks had no insurance and sued the organization, so they're now requiring verification of insurance. Just a guess, but very likely.
Greg, I can see that, but it's their problem - not mine. It doesn't justify forcing me to buy insurance, and their competitors don't do it so I don't need to give them my business.

Another likely scenario is that someone realized they could copy the car rental agencies and sell wildly over-priced short-term insurance coverage. Fine if they want to try that, but I must be able to decline it, just as I decline it at the car rental counter.

Jan, do you know how much they charged that other camper for the insurance?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Like Jim B., I see no real risk of contaminating my freshwater hose in rinsing out my sewer hose if that's all I had to use. Of course, that's a completely different situation from getting fresh water to fill the trailer's tank from a hose provided at the dumpsite that other people may have used to rinse their sewer hose.
We all do what we are comfortable with . For us we prefer to keep 2 separate hoses and keep them separate . Pat
Old 12-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We cannot remember anyone ever being at a dump station without gloves. Also for newbies, you need an adaptor for your sewer hose for private campgrounds. They sometimes sell them because they require their use.

Dump stations usually have a non-potable faucet and hose specifically for use with your sewer hose. It will be marked for sewer only in almost all cases.

We don't see how contamination would not occur using one for the other. Pat, good idea about the bleach/water bottle. People may not remember to remove gloves or did not use any before water fill.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Also for newbies, you need an adaptor for your sewer hose for private campgrounds. They sometimes sell them because they require their use.
If you mean the adapter to connect the sewer hose to the sewer at your campsite (not the dump station) and leave it connected... yes, but this is not a difference between public and private campgrounds, it's the difference between a dump station and an individual campsite. Private or public, all the dump stations I've seen have a big opening that you just need to put any type of hose end into.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
If you mean the adapter to connect the sewer hose to the sewer at your campsite (not the dump station) and leave it connected... yes, but this is not a difference between public and private campgrounds, it's the difference between a dump station and an individual campsite. Private or public, all the dump stations I've seen have a big opening that you just need to put any type of hose end into.
Yes, you can use an adaptor in the rather rare instance that you might be in a public campground and have full hookups. We don't see full hookups much in public campgrounds and if we do, it is likely only a few sites (and they are probably taken, not that we care usually.). Not sure we have ever used full hookups except at a private CG.

You may think you can use any type of hose but most private campgrounds we have been to require that adaptor. They may even mention it and will often have it in their rules.

This is not just for leaving connected but for any dumping. They are trying to cut down on any possible mess at a campsite (for you or the next person.)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote