Opinions about better Campgrounds ?? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
This is not just for leaving connected but for any dumping. They are trying to cut down on any possible mess at a campsite (for you or the next person.)
Good catch. You can leave the hose hooked up, because it's your individual site, and making a good seal is especially important when it stays connected, but even a brief connection should be made properly.

The fitting at the campsite is normally a threaded port, closed off with a threaded cap when not in use (which is why the adapter has threads), but they vary in size (which is why the adapters usually have three thread sizes on them).

Quote:
You may think you can use any type of hose but most private campgrounds we have been to require that adaptor. They may even mention it and will often have it in their rules.
At the individual campsite, yes. Where I've been - but in the RV world practices vary by area - the same campgrounds that have the small threaded port at the individual campsite normally do not use that type of connection at the common dump station - just as well, because who wants to wait while people screw in and unscrew it, and who would bother to screw the cap back on when they left?

Anyway... get an adapter You may still need a different one for some oddball campground, such as the one I saw with a horizontal pipe end that required a foam gasket to seal, but that's one of those things one deals with when one encounters them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We cannot remember anyone ever being at a dump station without gloves. Also for newbies, you need an adaptor for your sewer hose for private campgrounds. They sometimes sell them because they require their use.

Dump stations usually have a non-potable faucet and hose specifically for use with your sewer hose. It will be marked for sewer only in almost all cases.

We don't see how contamination would not occur using one for the other. Pat, good idea about the bleach/water bottle. People may not remember to remove gloves or did not use any before water fill.
Thanks Cathy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Now that we've fully explored the less glamorous side of camping, I'd like to tell you about the guy who sold us our first trailer -- the Airstream. He had it only a short time because his wife took one trip and decided her idea of camping was the Ramada Inn. Our gain.

So, my advice to someone starting out is to check out ahead of time the campgrounds in the area you want to go -- read the online reviews -- and if necessary go out of your way to the one that sounds like it has what you want in the way of amenities and your kind of fun. A KOA might be great in Montana, but another KOA in Utah might not be so good. Reviews really tell you a lot. At first you might want sewer hookups every place you go and after awhile, you might decide that waking up in a national park even without all the conveniences trumps all. Or maybe not. Make a priority list of what is most important to you and see what people say about the campgrounds you're interested in. At first you might need full hookups, for the convenience of dumping at your own site, even if you're only staying a night or two. We all have our own ideas about what it means to be comfortable at the end of a day of touring or hiking, but what I think we all have in common is that we want to sleep in our own beds at night when we're on the road.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ruthe is spot on. If I had one piece of advice is would be to remind people that nothing is constant. Whether a campground is good or bad can also depend on the time of year and/or the day of the week.

I learned my lesson. One of my favorite campgrounds, one I go to 3-4 times a year... I'll NEVER, EVER go to again from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I was there last month and I'll be there again next month. But in July
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I learned my lesson. One of my favorite campgrounds, one I go to 3-4 times a year... I'll NEVER, EVER go to again from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I was there last month and I'll be there again next month. But in July
I have heard similar about lots of other campgrounds. Even at Nk'Mip, I have heard to stay away in summer months. Not that I don't like kids, but do much prefer the quieter times of the fringe months.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim, in my case it wasn't the kids! It was the ADULTS. Shame on them. Letting dogs bark their fool heads off and competing loud music. Yes there are adults all times of the year. But because school was out the campground was packed. Dogs were competing for attention and every adult thought their music was the best.

That's when I found out at the Oregon State Park system, quiet time is truly 10pm to 7am. The other times, WHATEVER. As long as fireworks weren't being setoff, nothing illegal was going on, etc. it was a free-for-all. Four of the most miserable days of my life...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you to DisneyDoc for starting this thread and all the great input. Kevin and I are newbies to all of this too (picking up our trailer sometime in the spring). That first trip is important to setting the stage for some good experience.

So I agree with you Ruthe - we will be doing lots of research, at least for the first trip. Our go to rule is to always have a Plan A (and in some cases a Plan B), but be flexible and open to other options that may come up.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #68

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I thought this thread had gone to........well, a treatise on sewer hoses. But the last few posts brought it back on topic. :-)

I don't think anyone's mentioned the difference due to travelling purpose. If we're in a hurry we'll tend to CGs near our route, many times RV parks. The later usually have showers and other facilities, easy in easy out. If we'll be there a few days or more we'll look more closely, including drive throughs, and tend to pick public CGs away from any route. I suppose obvious, but there it is.

We'll stop at an RV park every so often, every week or two (usually on weekends). With a sewer connection I can use a wand to do a good job cleaning the black tank and flush it a couple of times. This isn't possible as a dump station. Also do laundry, take a long shower, buy groceries, etc.

In our experience, quiet hours don't dampen a "good" party. About once a month, on the road, we end up "in the wrong site". The last memorable one was in Boulder Beach. Picked a nice site on the edge, away from the teenagers. About 11:00 a large group pulled in right next to us, several families with kids. The cursing, yelling, drinking, etc. went on all night despite our, and the hosts, requests for some quiet. It was so bad we got up early, couldn't sleep, and left. The camper across the street pulled his pickup to their site, also early, and continually pressed the "panic button" for a half hour or so. No one came out, either ashamed, scared or passed out. I pity the kids. I'm sure a site on the other side of the CG would have been very peasant. (If I remember it was a weekend.)

So even diligent research, or even previous stays, isn't a fool proof recipe for a pleasant stay. It depends a lot on who's next door. Even staying at one CG for some time, the atmosphere changes with who's there, even if they are all considerate. Vibes ya know. At least with a trailer you can change who's next door which is harder to do with a house, been there.

Let me know if I can drag the thread further off track. It's one of the services I provide.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We also had a bad experience @ Boulder Beach. I think what can happen (especially on long weekends) is that there are "campers" and "people out to party with tents." Campers tend to be considerate of their neighbors. With cheap tents available, there are many who will sleep in a tent at a campground with the intention of partying and having a good time with no consideration of their neighbor. So, if you want to decrease the odds of this happening, stay in more expensive & controlled commercial campgrounds as they "own" the property and can more easily eliminate the wrong crowd.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #70

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I think what can happen (especially on long weekends) is that there are "campers" and "people out to party with tents."
If I remember, all our "difficult" experiences have been on weekends. The odds on long weekends are even worse. And the odds increase if there is a lake involved, particularly with water sports. On long trips we tend to escape to an RV park on weekends.

And we'll avoid Boulder Beach. :-)

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have heard similar about lots of other campgrounds. Even at Nk'Mip, I have heard to stay away in summer months. Not that I don't like kids, but do much prefer the quieter times of the fringe months.
I was at Nk'Mip for the May long weekend one year, and while up in the "C" loop (when there was only one) it was still reasonably quiet, the area along the shore was pretty well packed. It wasn't really peaceful and relaxing, but it had it's own kind of appeal, with lots of life... and a I stumbled across a classic car club with their restored and modified cars plus their interesting trailers (Airstreams and moulded fiberglass, but no Escapes).

Different times for different experiences
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #72

Classic cars are a big pastime in the Okanagan Valley. Two years ago at the same time as the rally there was a huge outdoor show in Osoyoos. It was great to walk around and Earl the great cars.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
We also had a bad experience @ Boulder Beach. I think what can happen (especially on long weekends) is that there are "campers" and "people out to party with tents." Campers tend to be considerate of their neighbors. With cheap tents available, there are many who will sleep in a tent at a campground with the intention of partying and having a good time with no consideration of their neighbor. So, if you want to decrease the odds of this happening, stay in more expensive & controlled commercial campgrounds as they "own" the property and can more easily eliminate the wrong crowd.
Another thing many tent campers do not realize, is that the sounds from their amorous activities carry through the thin walls with no resistance.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post

I don't think anyone's mentioned the difference due to travelling purpose.

We'll stop at an RV park every so often, every week or two (usually on weekends). With a sewer connection I can use a wand to do a good job cleaning the black tank and flush it a couple of times. This isn't possible as a dump station. .

I have mentioned the way one travels many times elsewhere and, yes, that makes a big difference. In the peak season, reservations are pretty much needed as we had to have for Banff and Japser area in August. In the off season, reservations are not usually needed unless it is one of the bigger tourist attractions. We travel quite a bit in the off season so that there are spots available unless maybe someone is having a rally, although a weekend can be a problem near a city.

As for wands, we only use one at dump stations and where there is a hose for sewer rinse. We tend to not leave on weekends when there is no line or it is off season with no line.

There is definitely a big difference between on season (Memorial Day to Labor Day most places) and off season. We were in Door County, Wisconsin in June and that is still their off season. July and August is their peak.

Better campgrounds may be "better" depending on the season as some are saying.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I thought this thread had gone to........well, a treatise on sewer hoses.
Let me know if I can drag the thread further off track. It's one of the services I provide.

Thanks.
I didn't mind that the thread went down the sewer, but when people start looking at the contents with clear sections of pipe ugh.

I think the statement that some folks are there to party and some are travellers who generally are more considerate of their neighbors pretty much sums it up.

A couple of times I've picked what I thought was the quietest area, got settled in, only to have multiple vehicles pull up, with their thumping noise proceeding them, unload the giant BBQ and the pit bull. Rather than spend a long torturous night I've just gone to the park host and asked for a site as far away from party central as possible.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Different strokes and all.

I've been the guy in the tent that almost got crushed by an Airstream at 2am, then listened to their generator all night.

I'm not particularly anti-social; but my idea of camping doesn't include crowds or loud anything.

For me. the most compelling feature of my Escape is that it is so self-contained. I prefer quiet and privacy to services. National Forests and BLM land work best for me.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #77

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Hmmm, diverse thread!

On the original topic, we prefer public campgrounds, and a great resource is ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more. It actually contains Canadian public campgrounds as well as US, but no private ones.

On the second topic, I like to add a couple of cap-fulls of bleach to the holding tank, just in case. You never know what happened before you got to the faucet....

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ruthe is spot on. If I had one piece of advice is would be to remind people that nothing is constant. Whether a campground is good or bad can also depend on the time of year and/or the day of the week.

Kind of a zoo out there in the summer which is why we stay parked from about mid-June until Labor day. This year we had to get out the week before as we had to be back and it was hectic. Had to stage to be able to grab a first come early enough at places like Capitol Reef & Horse Thief near Canyonlands.

When we first started out a little over two years ago Susan was big on the idea of Dispersed camping. Had the maps, etc. I wasn't too sure, but due to the Gov't shutdown October '13 we had little choice in Sedona other than private, so we did it and now prefer it & have some favorite spots we've been back to.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason to prepare your Escape for out of season camping, be it insulation for winter or air conditioning for summer, depending on what your season is. Going camping out of season is always more enjoyable for peace and quiet.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #80

Y'all can come on or to our land to camp during the summer months. We are the only yahoo's out there. Lots of room(60+ acres ) , over 1/2 mile of river front, lots of trees, a large wood heated cookhouse if the weather is bad, campfire ring with endless wood (and a monster tarping system should precipitation happen), lots of other features. Fishing, hiking, biking, bocce, snake toss, horseshoes, music, musical instruments, sometimes ATVs, swimming, boating, and lots more.

Though not required, partaking in cocktails commonly starts around noon somewhere.