Opinions about better Campgrounds ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17B
Opinions about better Campgrounds ??

We are newbies to Rving & as such to any camping, and are planning our trip in advance to Chilliwack, BC to pickup our Escape from Florida.

I am researching some full hook up campgrounds with all amenities to ease into camping & I have come across various campground memberships including KOA, Good Sam, Passport, Thousand Trails etc... etc.

I am travelling with my DW who has agreed to give camping a try, on condition that we stay at safe campgrounds with all the amenities available.

Generally speaking, how does a newbie try to reserve a good campground ?

Are some campground chains better than others ?
Like everything else If you pay a higher rental fee do you get a better campground ?
Are restricted access membership campgrounds like the ones in Thousand Trails any better ?

I am trying to get a general opinion from more experienced campers, - what do they consider before they reserve, which clubs they get memberships in......

Thanks & with best regards

disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Camperland in Bridal Falls is only a short drive from Escape. They have full hook ups and really nice site. We have stayed there a few times.

http://www.holidaytrailsresorts.com/...rv-campground/

PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
wow. we just finished up a 8 month/20K loop around the USA. we just take our chances and stay at campgrounds that are convenient to our route/ schedule. we belong to Passport America and love it. some camps have been stellar, some have been... less than. $ doesn't seem to be a qualifying metric in the equation. we have paid as little as $4.00 (America the beautiful pass) for a top notch primitive spot. Private, quiet and beautiful and $45 for a KOA from hell. Noisy, overcrowded, small.

We believe it's all part of the adventure of camping.

BTW- most websites tell a somewhat truthful story, in our experience.

Good luck and welcome to the adventure!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Basically, our only trip was the maiden voyage home with the 21 and we stayed at mostly KOA and Good Sam campgrounds. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these. A couple of state parks were OK too. We hate a fixed schedule and just stayed where we ended up for the night. And everywhere we stayed, we had nothing but a very positive experience meeting and visiting with a lot of our fellow campers. But there's a ton of people around here with far more camping experience than us. I'm waiting for their response also. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
For a newbie, so to speak, KOA's are like the Howard Johnson of campgrounds, most are very similar but some are spectacular. If you pay $30/year you get !0% off every stay and after 10 stays a free night. In addition the normally have clean rest rooms and most will find a spot for you without reservations.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I usually look at the reviews on RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks, do keep in mind the date of the reviews, things change. A good app for a smartphone is Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds App and RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos, both apps work on a laptop too.

We avoid holidays when campgrounds are packed, also have to be aware that most are full on Friday and Saturday nights during the busy seasons. Book for either case early, way early.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The only real chain of campgrounds I know of is KOA, and there is a wide variance in the quality of KOAs. We pulled into one KOA, looked around, and decided the Walmart Parking lot would be an I use the allstays app, and look at the reviews. I prefer campgrounds run by the Army Corps of Engineers, the bureau of land management, local, county, state and national parks. We have always had good luck with these parks, and, for the most part they are reasonably priced. If we have to do laundry we will go to a commercial campground, and sometimes location will dictate a commercial campground.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
The wife and I refer to KOA not as Kampgrounds of America but as Kids of America. In order to join the KOA chain, a campground must have certain amenities, one of which is a playground. I believe another is a swimming pool. Some KOAs marginally meet the requirements, but generally KOAs are clean.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The wife and I refer to KOA not as Kampgrounds of America but as Kids of America. In order to join the KOA chain, a campground must have certain amenities, one of which is a playground. I believe another is a swimming pool. Some KOAs marginally meet the requirements, but generally KOAs are clean.
I always thought it was "Kamping On Asphalt"!

we actually avoid them now. Too much civilization for "camping".

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Keep in mind the OP is looking for much civilization.