Oregon Ripoff! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Let me get this straight: the inspectors are unreasonable because they insisted that a person with a brand-new never-used boat must stop for a boat inspection, and because they didn't inspect actually inspect a boat once they saw that it was brand-new and never used? Yes, there is something unreasonable going on here, and it isn't Oregon boat inspections.
Are you a politician? It would seem like that turning folks words around.

The only thing (at least I found) unreasonable were the actions taken after he was stopped, not the trains for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have seen boat inspections at the lakes in Colorado but I am mystified why there would be a boat inspection station on a major highway. Is there a requirement to scrub down your boat before entering Oregon? Do the organisms themselves respect state boundaries?
Things like snails, fish and weeds are going to spread regardless of government attempts to stop them.
Perhaps Oregon should set up an inspection station for Canada Geese and Mallards. They could waste even more millions of taxpayer dollars with that boondoggle.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I have seen boat inspections at the lakes in Colorado but I am mystified why there would be a boat inspection station on a major highway. Is there a requirement to scrub down your boat before entering Oregon? Do the organisms themselves respect state boundaries?
Things like snails, fish and weeds are going to spread regardless of government attempts to stop them.
Perhaps Oregon should set up an inspection station for Canada Geese and Mallards. They could waste even more millions of taxpayer dollars with that boondoggle.
I think you make a good point in that there is very little evidence that these type of inspections prevent anything. But, it is the law. My beef would be that it was enforced as a "gotcha" with no intent to violate it. If every law, rule and regulation were 100% strictly enforced, each and every one of us would probably find that we break the "law" at least 5 times a day.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What I want to know is if I get the Oregon Invasive Species Permit, does that allow me to transport invasive species from one water to another?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I sometimes wonder as I cruise on past, if I'm supposed to stop at the truck stops that say "trailers" on the signage.
Signage varies by location. Alberta highway inspection stations (weigh scales) are preceded by signs which require vehicles over 4500 kg to stop (when the scale is open) - no mention of trailers. My motorhome is over that weight, and many Escapes with their tow vehicles would be as well (although my current trailer and van are under), but the signs also give the RV exemption.

I looked at a randomly sampled weigh station in Massachusetts (the power of Google Street View ) and the signs just said it was a weigh scale - no indication of who needed to stop. An AAA (auto club) summary website (not a great source) says:
Quote:
The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.
That's the same weight limit as Alberta (because it's a common limit for North America), but with no exemption of RVs. Whether the AAA list is correct or not, I assume that a Massachusetts driver should know the local laws, and a commercial driver would as well, but a trailer-towing tourist would have no reasonable way to know, unless other locations have more explicit signs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #26

Quote:
I have seen boat inspections at the lakes in Colorado but I am mystified why there would be a boat inspection station on a major highway.
Perhaps because that's how boaters get from one area to another.

Quote:
Is there a requirement to scrub down your boat before entering Oregon?
Yes, somewhere between being the in water somewhere else and entering the water in the controlled area. That's the whole point: clean off the invasive organisms before taking them somewhere that they have not yet invaded.

Quote:
Do the organisms themselves respect state boundaries?
No, the idea is that people respect regulations, and so the organisms don't get a chance to move.

All of this isn't really about state (or provincial) boundaries. The idea is that boaters clean off their boats every time they leave a body of water (which may have the invasive species present), so that they don't take the problem to the next body of water (which may still be free of the invasive species)... even within the same state or province.

Quote:
Well, I suppose we should just get rid of police departments, too, since people will commit crimes anyway... and fire departments (because stuff burns), and hospitals (because people get sick and die).

Life evolves, and species spread. Without people, this happens relatively slowly and everything adapts to the change. People introducing organisms to places which have not had a chance to adapt to the arrival can make a big mess.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I couldn't locate the Oregon sign image online but found one for Idaho stating "All watercraft must stop" which is very confusing if you are driving a motor vehicle. How hard is it to say "All vehicles towing or carrying watercraft of any kind must stop for inspection?" I tend to agree that a lot of times signage is unclear about things like this, but I'd probably err on the side of stopping- if I remembered there was a kayak on top of my car or trailer. I've never seen a sign like this though I do remember ones warning you to inspect your boat (California).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I couldn't locate the Oregon sign image online but found one for Idaho stating "All watercraft must stop" which is very confusing if you are driving a motor vehicle. How hard is it to say "All vehicles towing or carrying watercraft of any kind must stop for inspection?"
So, what else would "All watercraft must stop" mean? That boats driving themselves down the highway must stop, but not cars and trucks towing boats? Sorry, but I don't see any problem with the Idaho sign, and I think the 13-word sentence would be far too long for a highway sign.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Summary of the problem

About half way between our house in Ventura County, and Ross and Sue's in Los Osos, lies Cachuma Lake, which is aggressively trying to keep their lake free of the invasion. If you turn off hwy 154 into the lake, you stop at the ranger booth, and then you're done, stopped, do-not-proceed, if you have a watercraft without an inspection tag. This is the appropriate approach.
Attached is a document describing their inspection/cleaning/tagging procedure, and a history of the problem. It's very interesting reading.

Also, for areas that are not so easily controlled, like CA Owens Valley and the east side of the Sierras, the standards are posted here:
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Invasives

AND, the rangers, other fishermen, tackle shop employees, etc. know the problem, and are watching and reminding.
The big deal in Owens Valley is washing your waders, boots, and any fishing tackle that's been in the water. Many do it at the dump stations when they're doing the trailer tank dump.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30_day_quagga_protocol.pdf (211.0 KB, 10 views)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Interesting observation about the history of the snail invasion of the West: it first showed up on the Snake River, then Oregon waterways, then California waterways. So Oregon (the regulators, not the folks of OR) fines Californians for yet another thing.
Ross, that stop "fee" was jealous reverse retribution
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I subscribe to about 20 state DNR websites. Invasive weeds, mussels, insects on firewood, baitfish, even if native, have very much become a focus in nearly every state in one form or another. The Chronic wasting disease in deer and elk is also a primary focus. Right or wrong, these laws exist and enforcement is difficult and depends on citizen cooperation. I hate to see anyone fined for "crimes" like this and especially when common sense does not prevail.
It is my opinion that this behavior creates a disrespect for enforcement agencies and lots of them have a continuing image problem directly related to personnel with less than stellar manners and no common sense. The sad thing is the lack of boots on the ground picking up the genuine bad guys while personnel is employed for this type of work where the inevitable is just a matter of time. My opinion.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It clearly didn't help having California tags(everyone knows to go to DMV first when moving to OR). Looking at ORS 830.998 http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/830.998 and then ORS 830.589 ORS 830.589 - Watercraft check stations - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes I see that the stop didn't comply with Rule #3 or #4. No uniformed person with Fish & Wildlife or Marine or Agriculture Board- was a Klamath Deputy Sheriff. They also didn't inspect. Am doing a trial by affadavit; will report back any luck with that
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #33

Quote:
So, what else would "All watercraft must stop" mean? That boats driving themselves down the highway must stop, but not cars and trucks towing boats? Sorry, but I don't see any problem with the Idaho sign, and I think the 13-word sentence would be far too long for a highway sign.
Wonder how many amphibicars they stop in a season? There's a couple owned by collectors in Cedar Rapids. Only 4,000 made, 1961 to 1967. I remember seeing them in the river at the Ellis Park ramp in Cedar Rapis, years ago.
Dave
Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Perhaps using images along with a couple of words on the sign would help a lot. A icon of a motor boat along with a canoe and/or kayak might get the message across and be easy to spot even for people like me who drive with glasses??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #35

I can name that sign with 14 letters. IF IT FLOATS, STOP ought to cover everything down to and including a life jacket.
Dave
Old 09-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I assume that a Massachusetts driver should know the local laws
You would be incorrect in that assumption.

Guess it's a good thing I've never seen any of our weight stations open.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Perhaps using images along with a couple of words on the sign would help a lot. A icon of a motor boat along with a canoe and/or kayak might get the message across and be easy to spot even for people like me who drive with glasses??
I saw an image of a BC sign that did just that.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It clearly didn't help having California tags(everyone knows to go to DMV first when moving to OR). Looking at ORS 830.998 ORS 830.998 - Penalty for failing to stop at an aquatic invasive species check station - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes and then ORS 830.589 ORS 830.589 - Watercraft check stations - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes I see that the stop didn't comply with Rule #3 or #4. No uniformed person with Fish & Wildlife or Marine or Agriculture Board- was a Klamath Deputy Sheriff. They also didn't inspect. Am doing a trial by affadavit; will report back any luck with that
The stop was for NOT stopping at the check station- that was the Sheriff's job. Not inspecting, though I'm surprised they didn't send you back to get it inspected. Good luck, though, I do think going after out-of-state visitors for things like this is bad business for a state- a warning and sending you back to the inspection station should have sufficed.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Images help, but can't explain everything. I can see it now: "But officer, the sign only had a motorboat, a canoe, a kayak, a sailing catamaran, and a paddleboard... but I have a fishing pontoon boat!"
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wonder how many amphibicars they stop in a season?
That's what I was picturing.