Oregon Road Trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Oregon Road Trip

Just returned from two weeks up through Northern California, along the Oregon Coast, then inland to Champoeg and down 5 to the Rogue River area. Lots of interesting places to see and visit. (I created an album.)

First stop, Benbow KOA near Garberville, CA. This KOA is associated with the Historic Benbow Inn and the campground is more than we expected ... clean with lots of amenities (pool, golf, etc.). Plus, there's a lighted path that goes under Hwy 101 to the Benbow Inn where you can sit on the terrace next to the Eel River and have an "adult beverage" in the evening ... with your furry friends! They even have tea and scones at 3:00 pm and campground residents are welcome.

Next stop was Harris Beach State Park in Oregon. I was a little worried when I saw the location (nearly in town); however, the park is actually on the outskirts in a lovely setting and we managed to get a spot that overlooked the bay. Our site had water, electricity and cable (with a LOT of channels) but no sewer. This is where I took the attached photo -- out our back window. The day after we arrived, I saw an Escape 19' drive up the road towards the park. Sure enough, it ended up about three spaces down from us and was owned by Fred and Mary from Montana (and California). Enjoyed exploring Newport and Nye Beach and got a great tip from a local and stopped by the South Beach Fish Market to pick up fresh crab and steamers ...

Beachside State Park was next for three nights where you are, literally, steps from a beautiful, long beach. We were so close that the pounding surf actually lulled you to sleep at night ... or kept you awake, depending on your point of view. The dogs loved romping on the beach but our little one kept trying to eat the small velella velella jellyfish which were washing up ... yuck!

Up Hwy 1 to Hwy 18 and over to Champoeg State Historical Area. Lovely, lovely area with lots of history and walking/hiking trails. Visited several of the local wineries which are, themselves, in beautiful locations. We fell in love with this area. In fact, two of the wineries we visited had "hosts" that graduated from my husband's alma mater, UC Santa Cruz, so we now know where Santa Cruzians go when they leave here. Did have a funny experience in that the people next to us were camped in an Escape (a Spree, pulled by a very tiny Ford), and on other side, two spots down was an Escaper (fifth wheel). Also used our screen room which kept out the bugs and gave us a cozy feel whenever we stepped outside.

Valley of the Rogue State Park was next. This was probably my least favorite of the State Parks but it was still quite nice. Very long/large park (next to 5) with a nice walking/biking trail which is scheduled to extend 50 miles!

Last stop was at a Premier RV Park in Redding. While it has some great reviews, it had several "horrible" reviews which almost caused me to cancel and go somewhere else. So glad we didn't. The park was lovely and the hosts were friendly and gracious. A lot of really large, beautiful RVs there. (I'm thinking those bad reviews were probably posted by rival RV campgrounds.)

Our Escape handled like a charm and we had a number of people asking us questions. We felt especially fortunate on those cold, rainy nights when other campers were huddled in their tents. Our only issues arose when we were backing up into campsites. I laughingly told DH it must be that he's missing the "backup gene".

One other thing, we did much of our cooking in the Can Cooker recommended by Jim and some on the "hubcap grill" recommended by gabeck. I used recipes from the Can Cooker site and adapted some of my own. I must say, we had some great meals. And it was especially nice cooking inside on those drizzly evenings.
Attached Thumbnails
Harris Beach.jpg  
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Has Any one camped at Ashland and gone to the Shakespeare festival?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Your trip sounds amazing!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks, it was pretty interesting.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Thanks for posting such great information about your trip. We are planning a similar trip and your reviews will come in very handy.
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Never camped, but have been to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, it's a must do!
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Oregon, Ashland

We had to use a tent site at the RV park, hard to back into due to trees, but it was a very nice park and then we enjoyed a couple of the plays, good time.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Has Any one camped at Ashland and gone to the Shakespeare festival?
Yes, many times. I have been going to Ashland since 1970. One of the best places is now Emigrant Lake County Park on the south end of town. Full paved sites on the reservoir. Unfortunately, Oregon has also been dry this year so the water is way down already. If full, there is an old KOA site now privately held just outside Emigramt Lake. If you have Alstays Ap use it for finding these. We cannot recommend the other campgrounds nearby. Besides the Festival there is a paved bike trail, Bear Creek Greenway, that goes all the way from Ashland to the north end of Medford. Also, don't forget historic Jacksonville if you are in the area.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote