Osoyoos to Oregon Coast (Advice Needed) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That's my favorite route. And you get the ferry ride. Downside is the cost of a trailer ferry ticket if your budget is tight. (Can you drive up one way and return the other way? I use this route from Olympia to Whidbey instead of 5 all the time as it avoids all the traffic.)
Love the ferries there . Do you use the new ferries (replaced the higher older ones ) haven't been on them for years now . Did see pictures of the replacements . They looked lower and if water was a little choppy .... I don't know . But that is how we would go one way ferry and drive around the other trip . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #22

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with any bridges with or without the trailer- but the worst for me is the Astoria bridge, ever since I got stopped, towing, on the uphill slope, during construction. Whole darn bridge shakes every time a truck goes over. Worried about being able to get moving again on a slope, too. I hate that bridge. But for those who like bridges it is a pretty cool one.
I call it a E ticket ride . The first time we went over it we were up high in a motorhome and I mentioned to Linda when I saw it ahead we aren't going there are we ? Well turned up Heart and just drove . Never forget ! Pat
Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Love the ferries there . Do you use the new ferries (replaced the higher older ones ) haven't been on them for years now . Did see pictures of the replacements . They looked lower and if water was a little choppy .... I don't know . But that is how we would go one way ferry and drive around the other trip . Pat
The Port Townsend route has two of the newest smaller ferries. They had a different new ferry but decided it was not suited to the demands of that route (the most frequently cancelled due to wind or tide.) They are neat ferries as you can go to the very top of the ferry. OK with a trailer as you drive straight on but in a car you may get stuck in a side "tunnel" which feels really claustrophobic.

I also like that route because it takes reservations.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #24

Quote:
The Port Townsend route has two of the newest smaller ferries. They had a different new ferry but decided it was not suited to the demands of that route (the most frequently cancelled due to wind or tide.) They are neat ferries as you can go to the very top of the ferry. OK with a trailer as you drive straight on but in a car you may get stuck in a side "tunnel" which feels really claustrophobic.

I also like that route because it takes reservations.
Thankyou Bobbie for the information. I am claustrophobic too ! Pat
Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #25

Trailer: Will get an Escape 19 some day
The bridge that truly gave me palpitations is the Alex Fraser Bridge over the Fraser River going into Burnaby, BC. It doesn't matter that there are so many lanes on the bridge, what gets me is that the span of that one not only arches upward, but I swear it looked to me like the road curves out and downward so that it feels like you're just going to slip right off. I was drenched with cold sweat by the time I got across and I drove well out of the way on my way home to avoid that sucker. There's a good picture of it it here: New, seventh lane on Alex Fraser Bridge will act as counterflow during rush hour If you have to pass that way and have any problem whatsoever with bridges, I'd recommend an alternate route, out of the way or not.
Y is Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y is Me View Post
The bridge that truly gave me palpitations is the Alex Fraser Bridge over the Fraser River going into Burnaby, BC. It doesn't matter that there are so many lanes on the bridge, what gets me is that the span of that one not only arches upward, but I swear it looked to me like the road curves out and downward so that it feels like you're just going to slip right off. I was drenched with cold sweat by the time I got across and I drove well out of the way on my way home to avoid that sucker. There's a good picture of it it here: New, seventh lane on Alex Fraser Bridge will act as counterflow during rush hour If you have to pass that way and have any problem whatsoever with bridges, I'd recommend an alternate route, out of the way or not.
That's pretty scarey too ! But you haven't lived if you haven't been on the Astoria bridge over the Columbia River which is opens up . To really get the whole experience you must be sitting up high in a motorhome . You look to each side and the seagulls are flying next to you . Pat
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #27

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
I'm not thrilled with any bridges with or without the trailer- but the worst for me is the Astoria bridge,
Yeah, that one is a bit of white knuckler as well. As well as the one that I would take heading down to St Helens (the town, not the mtn). Forget what it's called but it's a white knuckler. But at least they're both single lanes each direction so you don't have #(*@#)(& (aka idiots!) cutting in front of you.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Actually all this talk about bridges and 101 is simply foreplay for when one decides to leave Hwy 101 at Leggett, Ca and head southwest to Ca Hwy 1.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y is Me View Post
That is a real nice wide bridge with lots of room. The next one over is the Pattullo Bridge and is the original crossing. One would think it was made for horse and buggy it is so narrow. To top it off it has a corner about 1/3 span. They had to extend the railing beyond the curb because trucks kept taking it out. I have probably driven it 1000 times but even I would avoid it with a trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Actually all this talk about bridges and 101 is simply foreplay for when one decides to leave Hwy 101 at Leggett, Ca and head southwest to Ca Hwy 1.
I'm heading SE via 20. Whew!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Yup more excitement! Pat
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Hey Matt, if you guys want a view in Astoria, go up to the Astoria Column, climb the tower !! Such fun !! Also when in Oregon try their Pinot Noir !!
franksuzy2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gephyrophobics are often petrified with fear just thinking about crossing bridges and usually take any route necessary to avoid driving over one. from research....
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That's pretty scarey too ! But you haven't lived if you haven't been on the Astoria bridge over the Columbia River which is opens up . To really get the whole experience you must be sitting up high in a motorhome . You look to each side and the seagulls are flying next to you . Pat
The same day I freaked out on the Astoria bridge (stopped for construction) a truck up in Washington clipped a bridge and it collapsed. That made my next trip over the Astoria bridge worse- and now the small bridges make me nervous, too! It always makes me a little nervous going off our own island on the Deception Pass bridge though I've done it many times.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #35

Quote:
The same day I freaked out on the Astoria bridge (stopped for construction) a truck up in Washington clipped a bridge and it collapsed. That made my next trip over the Astoria bridge worse- and now the small bridges make me nervous, too! It always makes me a little nervous going off our own island on the Deception Pass bridge though I've done it many times.
I remember that Bobbie . The bridge before you go to Wdidbey ? Wasn't it going over the Skagit River . I am not good with names sometimes . The Deception Pass bridge doesn't bother me though . Bobbie unfortunately going over bridges is a fact of life , I look ahead and turn up my music . Just remember to breath . Once you reach the other side , you got this . If you get stopped again , keep looking ahead ,breath , and try to think of something else . Keep telling yourself you are ok ! Pat
Old 04-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just close your eyes and plunge ahead.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just close your eyes and plunge ahead.
It's the plunge I'm worried about!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #38

Quote:
The same day I freaked out on the Astoria bridge (stopped for construction) a truck up in Washington clipped a bridge and it collapsed.
It was on I5 and an oversized truck was a bit too oversized for the overhead supports. He had one of those vehicles in front that was supposed to measure for him, but something got messed up. And traffic was really messed up due to detours. I didn't have any reason to go that way at the time, fortunately.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
You could head south from Osoyoos on 97 and make a stop in the Chelan area which is beautiful! Then head through Cashmere, Ellensburg (nice KOA there) south through Yakima and Goldendale. Maryhill State Park is a nice park on the Columbia River just south of Goldendale. From there you can head south through Central Oregon or east to Portland and the Oregon coast. Have fun!
We would suggest this route as well. From Goldendale/Maryhill, you can cross the Columbia River (US-97) to go south, or go west on I-84 along the shore to Portland, or you can stay on the WA side of the Columbia, and go west along the shore on WA-14 (two lane, slower) to Vancouver, WA and cross on I-205. Either way: scenery and places to see abound.
Edit: OR, Stay on WA-14 west, then I-5 north just to Longview, then take the Lewis & Clark bridge across the Columbia River and then US-30 west to Astoria. Then, south on US-101 along the Oregon coast.

Edit #2: any of these lets you avoid the Seattle traffic, and the majority of the Portland traffic.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

LOL: We chickened out and went east to Longview, crossed the River, and then west on US-30 to Astoria. nice drives along the River, and no freak-out!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote