Our hotel choice in Chilliwack, the Royal Hotel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Our hotel choice in Chilliwack, the Royal Hotel

It turned out to be the Royal PIA Hotel. Not the hotels fault, at all, in fact the hotel was nice and had an antique kind of charm to it, in a Stephen King The Shining kind of way. Room amenities were great and we had a fine time, up until....
We stayed at the Royal Hotel the night prior to our orientation at 9am. We were chilling in our room, watching the olympics (4 straight hours of Canadian curling), when we got a ring from the front desk. Our passenger window had been busted, while parked out in front of the hotel. Great. Our camping gear, I thought, there goes our trip. But upon getting to the car, only a bag that was on the floor of the passenger side was taken. In it was my wife's art supplies, and the customs packet of paperwork that was sent by Escape weeks earlier, with lots of personal info. We proceeded to tape a makeshift window in place in case it rained, with supplies from the hotel. And it was cccccold.
So upon arriving at Escape the next day, we asked them to help us make a better temporary window, which they did a fine job of. Upon commenting about what happened, we had a couple people there tell that downtown is sketchy. But yet it's one of the hotels suggested for "special rates" for escape customers. Now I know this can happen anywhere, just letting you know that downtown Chilliwack can be shady, and that's from the mouths of the locals.
We did get the window fixed 2 days later in Bellingham, Louis auto glass did a great job for a reasonable price. All is well, could have been lots worse, all the camping gear was intact.
I did get a call Wednesday from the Chilliwack police saying the hotel cameras were very clear, he knew exactly who it was and they had the suspect in jail and was going to court. I may even get some restitution but he said it is iffy.
Just thought I'd share. The rest of the trip was great though, no system bugs that we found, no leaks, everything working. Great product.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh MAN, your experience makes me nauseated, truly. When I went to Chilliwack to pickup Ten Forward, I stayed at the Best Western... within 'feet' of ETI. But when I checked in and told the front desk why I was there, they 'suggested' I bring EVERYTHING in my truck into my room. There was someone standing by to help, if needed. I was grateful. Five totes out of the bed of my truck, nothing left inside the cab of the truck and Tim Hornton's in the morning. I slept well. I'm so sorry you had a bad situation....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
So glad I only live a couple hours from the factory, drove up in the morning for a 11 AM orientation. Drove back to the US to camp for a couple days before going home. Unfortunately small towns now on either side of the border can be challenging when it comes to safety. I was born and raised not far from Chilliwack, in those days safety was a given, now just be alert to your surroundings.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #4

Ya we live in Auburn WA, about 3.5 hours away. We were actually planning on getting up at 4am for the drive and our 9am orientation, but just a couple weeks ago my wife and I thought it might be less stressful and kind of fun to stay the night before nearby, so we didn't have to worry about possible traffic/border line delays etc. Lol. Hindsight is always 20/20. Anyway it was a learning experience, never leave a bag of any kind, regardless of value, on any seat or floor, ever. It's just bait. I actually knew this, just got careless.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #5

Ya after the break in we moved our gear to a storage area in the hotel they offered. Got some extra unexpected exercise. They were very nice and very apologetic, I think we were just unlucky. Pretty much anywhere there is a bit of chance involved unfortunately. But all is well, really liking the trailer and looking forward to many positive adventures.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
aren’t they just the best trailer? Maybe a ruff start but lots of great travels are ahead, camp on! maybe I’ll see you guys on one of your adventures
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
aren’t they just the best trailer? Maybe a ruff start but lots of great travels are ahead, camp on! maybe I’ll see you guys on one of your adventures
Ya we're very happy with it. We're taking it over to eastern Wa to celebrate my wife's 50th with family next weekend, a big party will ensue and we'll make up for it.
Ya we're hatching an early retirement plan so maybe sooner than later
Old 02-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I brought all my stuff into my room - I've had my car broken into before in Canada at a motel. I love Canada and I always feel safe but I used to go to a lot of horse shows and most of my friends cars/trucks were broken into at one time or another. I always thought all the trucks from the USA at the horse shows were a target.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I always thought all the trucks from the USA at the horse shows were a target.
It's not the horse show, it's that you are from out of country and won't likely show up at a trial or stick around for an investigation. Your plate is a "get out of jail free" card.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Our orientation was on a Monday. We crossed into Canada the Saturday before and stayed two nights/one day at Hot Spring Villa Hotel in Harrison Hot Springs. Not the best of hotels, but location, location. It was just across the street from the lake.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't think downtown anywhere these days is very safe.

What's surprising for us folks that have grown up the the big city where crime in the "downtown" area has always been a fact of life is that those once little farm cities out in the valley have all the big city problems now.

There are sad stories, from time to time, folks in transit, in the process of moving, park their rental truck and sometimes a trailer in the hotel parking lot with all their worldly possessions inside. Sadly some have lost everything.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19'
I am probably the only one who thought it's cool the police were able to view the security footage and know who to go to...

In the bay area where break-ins are the norms they just tell you to file a police report online and go on with your things
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I brought all my stuff into my room - I've had my car broken into before in Canada at a motel. I love Canada and I always feel safe but I used to go to a lot of horse shows and most of my friends cars/trucks were broken into at one time or another. I always thought all the trucks from the USA at the horse shows were a target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's not the horse show, it's that you are from out of country and won't likely show up at a trial or stick around for an investigation. Your plate is a "get out of jail free" card.
There's another factor: travellers in general have more stuff in the their vehicles to be stolen than locals, so non-local license plates and being parked at a motel are both invitations to thieves (this is one reason that rental cars no longer have rental company stickers on them). A speciality event (such as a horse show) provides a supply of targets which are even likely to have similar contents, for the discerning criminal shopper: want equestrian gear, go to a horse show.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another reason to back into your parking spot, hides my plate from view....
Old 02-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In BC we have plates both front and rear. They would first think your from Alberta as they only have rear plates as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
In BC we have plates both front and rear. They would first think your from Alberta as they only have rear plates as well.
We were stopped by a police officer once on the access road of an airport in B.C. because he noticed that we had no front plate - he was checking if we had a plate at all. Of course when he saw that we had the appropriate plate for our province, he thanked us for our time and sent us on our way. No front plate does stand out a bit in B.C., just as much as front plates do here in Alberta.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:

Yeah, cause both your vehicles are so low profile...

Edit... by chance staying at the 'wack BW tonight but parked by front door.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Hope you had a better trip down if you came Highway 3---the Coq. is horrid....
Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
G'Day there Bruce,
Nice to see you came out of your hibernation, why you staying away from home while so close to home? Loving the new cold air hood set up.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
G'Day there Bruce,
Nice to see you came out of your hibernation, why you staying away from home while so close to home? Loving the new cold air hood set up.
Visited grandma and on my way home. Had to charge the battery car up for the mountain passes.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote