Our trailer pickup adventure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Our trailer pickup adventure

Hey everyone -- we finally got the 17B home. It was a 12-day 2,800 mile adventure. We had originally planned to do this in July, but ETI moved our date up and it became an option to do some skiing on the way there so we took 2 weeks off so we could ski at 7 ski resorts along the way for our skinorthamerica100.com project.

Day 1: Drove to Government Camp, Oregon from Fremont, 640 miles. We had 3 ski resorts we planned to ski for the project there: Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline, and Mt. Hood Ski Bowl.

Day 2: Skied Mt. Hood Meadows. Windy and warm with almost spring skiing.

Day 3: This was Valentine's day so we skied Timberline and had lunch at the Timberline Lodge which was very cool. Mt Hood Skibowl is only open at night weekdays, so after starting at 9AM and skiing all day at Timberline, we put our boots back on and started skiing again at 5PM at Skibowl until 10PM. (first photo)

Day 4: Drove from Government Camp to Penticton, BC. Rained the WHOLE way. There was never a moment that it wasn't raining. Much of the way it was right at freezing so I had to watch for freezing rain. Penticton is a nice town with a great Sushi place that just opened the day before. We only stayed there one night.

Day 5: Skied Apex Mountain. Wonderful place. Drove to Kelowna after and stayed there 2 nights.

Day 6: Skied at Big White

Day 7: Skied at Silver Star and drove to Kamloops after.

Days 8 and 9: Skied at Sun Peaks 2 days in a row. Drove to Chilliwack after skiing on the 2nd day.

Day 10: This is the big day. We had our orientation at 11AM and were on the road by 1:30. We kind of rushed it because we wanted to get to Seattle by 6PM if possible. We got in the WRONG lane at the border crossing. They were training someone and our lane was taking 3X as long as the other one. Took us about 75 minutes to get through. Sarah from ETI called us asking us where we were because the trailer was waiting for us at Bob's. (second photo) The driver only had to wait about 15 minutes though because he left after we did. Traffic in Seattle was EPIC and it was dark and raining so some stress ensued. We didn't make 6PM but weren't too late. Getting the trailer settled in our friend's driveway which was pretty severely uphill was interesting. Our first night in the trailer we listened to rain on the roof. 33F outside but cozy inside. (third photo)

Day 11: Drove to Valley of the Rogue SP in southern Oregon. The trailer tows effortlessly at 70 MPH. The diesel Touareg we have is great on gas and I was getting 18.2 mpg (display is close to accurate but a little low usually so call it 18.4). I wanted to see how trailering at higher speeds would go and was very pleased. That night was well below freezing and there was ice on the storage box in the morning. I was a bit concerned about Siskyou summit for the following morning because the road condition said "Snowing heavily".

Day 12: Drove back to Fremont. It was snowing lightly over Siskyou summit and 24F, but there wasn't any snow on the road so it was a non-issue. Snow level was down to Medford. I had to slow somewhat (to 65) once we passed into California. Yes, I know the speed limit in California is 55 with a trailer, but tell that to the commercial truckers! CHP doesn't really notice unless you are doing something stupid. I got some B20 diesel in Oregon the day before which isn't as good on MPG but we did get 19.2 on the first leg which is very hilly but with a net elevation loss of about 1,500 ft. The last leg on Diesel #2 on completely flat roads got us 20.5.

Backing the trailer into our very tight storage spot wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. My measuring paid off. (last photo)

Love the 17B. It works perfectly for the 2 of us and I'm so impressed with the quality and workmanship.

Our time in BC was fantastic. Literally every single person we had contact with was very friendly and helpful. One retired ex-schoolteacher lady we met at Sun Peaks offered to put us up in her house when she found out we weren't able to find lodging in Sun Peaks and had to commute to/from Kamloops. This was after knowing her for all of 15 minutes. Amazing people and place. We miss it already.

So part 1 (get the trailer) is now done. On to part 2 (use the trailer). Thanks for all the help and discussion on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
16700310_10212228145688638_672429706316640461_o.jpg   16830725_10212323682556400_857374400469386458_n.jpg   IMG_0218.jpg   IMG_0226.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Epic.
Apparently nothing slows you down.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
You had it all: snow, rain and sunshine. Very nice trailer!!! Enjoy!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
(12 more days, 12 more days, 12 more days!!!) Glad you got home safe - sounds like quite the trip!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't know about you but I am skiiiied out!. Fabulous photo of Mt. Hood. If you already know how to get your Escape into that spot, you shouldn't have any trouble with anything. May you have many more epic trips with it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Great trip report! Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure. Wishing you many more years of the same.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Awesome , beautiful combination - beautiful photos .
Old 02-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 17
White belly band, Nice. Did you get the high lift axle? I could not tell from the photo. Thanks for sharing your trip.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
We got in the WRONG lane at the border crossing. They were training someone and our lane was taking 3X as long as the other one. Took us about 75 minutes to get through.
I had to slow somewhat (to 65) once we passed into California. Yes, I know the speed limit in California is 55 with a trailer,:
Great trip report and a very nice intro into using your new trailer.

I don't think that there's a wrong lane at the border. I think that there's lucky and unlucky lanes. Don't know what's going at the border these days. Yesterday the NEXUS lane was backed up further than the non NEXUS lane.

You're way braver than me with speed limits towing in CA. Maybe it's because I'm out-of-state and maybe an easier target but I get nervous going much over 60.

Hope you can get onto Step 2, using the trailer lots, soon.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Very nice trailer, and I enjoyed reading about your trip. I'm sure there are many many more to come. Isn't it great? Having a little home to go to while you're out on an adventure. Nowadays I think, "why didn't we do this sooner?"
Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Wow I'm tired just reading about your adventure! The trailer looks awesome and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your travels.

My brother-in-law is a trucker and says we should be safe from tickets as long as we keep it under 65 mph when towing. So that's what we do. A nice side benefit of that is reduced stress and better gas mileage!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Ron: I envy your quest to ski the "top 100" resorts in North America. Your site is a fantastic resource for anyone looking for a resort review from experienced skiers. You have a nice selection of mountains in the Northeast. I've been to many of them. Will be tame, but enjoyable. Enjoy your new trailer and please report back if you are using it to camp at any resorts and your experience. I hear that quite a few places allow RV's/trailers overnight.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad to see you got your trailer okay and had a great return trip with it.

I have towed at 65 mph in California in the past, though never knew until recently the limit was 55. Still, as long as most traffic was moving at 65+, I would likely do that too on freeways.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote