Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI

We are planning to take a trip to visit Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan in late July to escape the heat in Little Rock, AR. We are asking forum members for suggestions for camping sites near the national seashore. We have not been to that part of the country and would appreciate any input that you all can offer us. We will take our time to get there. Any suggestions for nice locations to stop while on route to the national seashore will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Tonny
How are you planning on going up there. We usually go through Wisconsin . My son and Daughter in law have spent the past week up there. I’ve made the loop through the UP and then across the big bridge At Mackinaw. Everybody has their favorites in the UP you cant go too far wrong. The local favorite is a pie like deal called a pasty.
Pronounce it pass tee and they’ll think you’re a local. Cause that’s the way it’s pronounced.
Let me know how you’re going and how long you have to spend.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
What general route do you think you'll follow on the way up and back?

Bay Furnace NF CG is 4 miles W of Munising and right on Lake Superior. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hiaw...13284&actid=29
I have not camped there, but I've driven by. Seems like a good place. Some sites have views of the water.

Try to get a calm (not windy), sunny day for your boat tour of the shoreline. My favorite is the sunset cruise, for best lighting on the rocks.

Another CG which I've stayed at and liked is on the east end of the national lakeshore: Woodland Park Campground, Grand Marais MI at Grand Marais. Good lake views. A little way west of town there is or was a sand dune that can be climbed. If you drive east of town about 4 miles (best I can recall of the distance), look for blueberry bushes along the road; if you're lucky they will be bearing wild blueberries. We picked 'em the first weekend in August when we were there.

Other things to see and do in the UP:
Historic buildings and artifacts at Fayette SP sw of Manistique
The Big Spring at Palms Book SP w of Manistique (water so clear you can see 40' to the bottom)
Tahquamenon Falls, near Paradise MI
Whitefish Point N of Paradise has a little lighthouse-turned-shipwreck museum
Soo Locks at Sault (pronounced 'soo') Ste. Marie: big ships making their way through the locks; tours.
Mackinac Bridge, a 5 mile long suspension bridge between upper & lower peninsulas
Mackinaw City, tourist town with many little shops in a compact walking area. Plenty of caramel corn and fudge and souvenirs. The local bakery a block north of the boat dock entrance has wonderful cinnamon bread and pecan rolls. Also a lighthouse and a fort.
West of Mackinaw City there's another lighthouse maybe 3 miles out of town, and then a few more miles west takes you to Wilderness SP. This is a 'dark sky' area, I believe, where you can see more stars than usual.

Mackinac Island: boat ride to an island with no motor vehicles, and another fort. Ride in a horse drawn carriage, or rent bikes and pedal around the entire island. More shops. More fudge and souvenirs!

Western UP:
McLain State Park (if you can get reservations)
Drive scenic M-26 to Copper Harbor.
Fort Wilkins... another fort
Porcupine Mountains SP: east unit has Lake of the Clouds, and west unit has a nice hike along the river with 3 modest waterfalls.
Ontonagon municipal CG is a nice place to stay, with sandy beach access and some sites have views.

Plenty of waterfalls all over the UP, but my favorites are Bond Falls near Paulding and Tahquamenon Falls.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #4

Dave and Mike,
Thanks for the responses. Our tentative rounte is to travel by interstate using I-40 to Memphis, change to I-55, I-57, I-94 and I-43. We have not been to Milwaukee or Green Bay before. We may considered visit those 2 big cities and stay at campsites close to them. Thanks.

TonnyLR
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tonny,
It’s only about 80 miles north of Green Bay to the Michigan State Park: J.W. Wells state park. I’ve camped there and it’s pretty nice. All of the spots Mike G listed are good, and I’ve been to all of those at one time or another. I’ve camped at Indian Lake st park, pictured rocks national lakeshore, the park near Ste St Marie, Tahquenomon Falls, and at St Ignace. You might consider the season pass for entrance into the state parks, some days you might want to stop at a park for just lunch and you’d have to pay if you don’t have a pass.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

Dave,
Thank you for the excellent info. We will research the sites you memtioned. It is an excellent idea to get a season pass to visit states parks.

Tonny LR
Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks for the info, indeed. I'm heading up that way later in the summer before going over to Alf's shindig in Niagara Falls in September. So this thread is very useful to me as well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
If you need a spot to camp around St. Louis, I've been to Beaver Dam SP in IL twice and it was very pleasant. It's NW of Mount Olive, something like a dozen miles off your path of I-55.

I don't get excited about cities. It's the woods and waters and countrysides I go for. But I imagine there might be brewery tours in Milwaukee, if that's your thing. Chicago has a couple of great museums; my brother used to rave about the Field Museum when he lived around there. Be advised, WI state parks are pretty expensive when you add up their camping fee and day use fee... they make MI look good!

Get yourself a paper Michigan road map from the state, or at least download a pdf copy here https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616...0026--,00.html to look at. You will note that it shows little evergreen tree icons for each of the state forest CGs and NF CGs. State parks are marked by red trees. Also roadside parks (rest turnouts) and scenic turnouts are indicated by red triangles. Very handy for travel.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
In the UP now. Bring bug spray and screen tent if you stay in a Nat. Forest campsite which are nice.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Eddie,
Thank you for the bug spray suggestion.

Tonny LR
Old 06-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Somewhere in the U.P. or nearby is a state park or national forest that is supposed to contain the last stand of old-growth hardwood trees in the contiguous U.S. Is that right? Does anyone know where it is?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000
Hartwick Pines State Park. You can get lots of information about it on Google. Beautiful place and a beautiful area. “Pure Michigan”
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote