Places to Go on the Shake Down Cruise - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #11

Trailer: None
Just out of curiousity, how far would this be from whale/orca watching. i would probably never be in the area again so i would like to do/see things i'd never see again. I am still some time away from a purchase but never too late to plan

gjw0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
couple of hours to downtown Vancouver. There appear to be a number of whale watching outfits around the harbour. Now for *good* whale watching, you need to get over to the island... There's a campground near Robson Bight (Robson Bight Ecological Reserve - BC Parks) where you can get whales rubbing themselves on the beach 20' from your trailer.

Unfortunately on this trip the whales chose to do this while we were out on a boat looking for them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0013-DSCN3030.jpg (229.5 KB, 35 views)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw0007 View Post
Just out of curiousity, how far would this be from whale/orca watching. i would probably never be in the area again so i would like to do/see things i'd never see again. I am still some time away from a purchase but never too late to plan
Close - There are tour boats out of Anacortes & Bellingham or you could walk on to the ferry to Friday Harbor in the San Juans and catch a tour boat or kayak tour there. What you see depends on the time of year - right now there is a group of gray whales feeding in Saratoga Passage between Camano and Whidbey Island, May is a good time to see Orca of San Juan Island.
We did the walk on ferry ride last Thursday and had lunch in Friday Harbor... here's a view out the back deck of the ferry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baker.jpg (94.0 KB, 13 views)
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Trav - when we picked up our 17, Tammy directed us to a local RV place where they gave us an ETI discount. We stayed there a night or 2 and tested everything out with shore power, then went to Cultus Lake Provincial Park nearby and camped and hiked and tested everything on battery power.

Mary still tells the story of how I insisted we wax the front of Blue in the RV place before we headed out. But the ease with which the bug accumulation came off when we got home was worth it - well to me anyway.
I am a year away from my 19 yet I appreciate your information on the local campground and the wax. On my list!
I am TOTALLY new to trailering and would love to find a useful guide on how-to, what-to, what-not and so on.
A concise description/why/why not of the ETI options would be nice of course, but then the fun of meandering through the forum would be lost!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote