Places to Go on the Shake Down Cruise - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Places to Go on the Shake Down Cruise

We pick up our new trailer the end of August. Yay! We want to spend a few days not too far from Sumas/Chilliwack to get familiar with our Escape and in case we need to go back to ETI for any reason. Where do you suggest we camp with shore power? Should we stay at one spot for a few days? Are there places in that area that we just shouldn't miss even if it means staying longer? After that, we head for Colorado and then back East.
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Trav - when we picked up our 17, Tammy directed us to a local RV place where they gave us an ETI discount. We stayed there a night or 2 and tested everything out with shore power, then went to Cultus Lake Provincial Park nearby and camped and hiked and tested everything on battery power.

Mary still tells the story of how I insisted we wax the front of Blue in the RV place before we headed out. But the ease with which the bug accumulation came off when we got home was worth it - well to me anyway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
We pick up our new trailer the end of August. Yay! We want to spend a few days not too far from Sumas/Chilliwack to get familiar with our Escape and in case we need to go back to ETI for any reason.
I hope that you get that opportunity. There's lot's to see but because of our geography and that time of year places tend to be all booked up. I'd suggest that you keep asking for suggestions and also ask ETI for their RV connection and book a spot sooner than later.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There are many posts of locations that people have used for the shakedown. Some considerations are:
  • US vs Canada - licensing and food at crossings can be an issue
  • Scenic versus convenient - do you want vistas of Puget Sound or the convenience of a quick drive?
  • Remember, depending on your prior experience you maybe very busy learning your trailer systems and not have time to sight see.
  • Are you going to need to shop?
  • How much time do you have?

We choose a destination further afield of Chilliwack for the first night. It was Porteau Cove and as prior Escape owners we only needed food to start camping. We knew the trailer systems but still spent at least part of the day becoming acquainted with what was new. Out thinking was, as mid-westerners we wanted to be near the ocean. Inland lakes, rivers and private campgrounds can be had anywhere, the salt water and state or provincial campgrounds is what attracted us. Experiencing something new was an important consideration. Porteau Cove, Whitby Island and any of a number of public campgrounds were considered, in our thinking all would have been great.

Your desires may be different as may be your camping style. I guess I did not need to be in the nearest private campground to test out systems.

We did not need to return to Chilliwack and I agree there are some who have, however I believe that number is quite small compared to the total. In other words, the risk is low. Don't let distance from Chilliwack be a factor, go where you can see and do what meets your desires.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Don't let distance from Chilliwack be a factor, go where you can see and do what meets your desires.
Remember since you're from Tennessee, you may never pass this way again. Take advantage of what the Pacific Northwest has to offer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0
If you want a space in one of the near by Provincial parks you had better get on line and book now. I don't know the actual link but look up B.C. parks and you will soon find it. Manning Park has a one camp ground that doesn't require reservations.
Good Luck!
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We found that staying in the KOA in Lynden, WA right by Sumas worked really well. Still 25 min from ETI if needed. Day trips from that location are easy and close to see the sights.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Thanks, all.
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Deception Pass!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I second the Lynden KOA (and I'm not usually one to stay at a KOA). This one is quiet and family run, close to whatever shopping/provisioning needs you might have, especially if you don't mind driving as far as Bellingham (which was what we did). After a night or two there, head over to Whidbey Island...
Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: None
Just out of curiousity, how far would this be from whale/orca watching. i would probably never be in the area again so i would like to do/see things i'd never see again. I am still some time away from a purchase but never too late to plan
gjw0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
couple of hours to downtown Vancouver. There appear to be a number of whale watching outfits around the harbour. Now for *good* whale watching, you need to get over to the island... There's a campground near Robson Bight (Robson Bight Ecological Reserve - BC Parks) where you can get whales rubbing themselves on the beach 20' from your trailer.

Unfortunately on this trip the whales chose to do this while we were out on a boat looking for them!
Attached Thumbnails
0013-DSCN3030.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw0007 View Post
Just out of curiousity, how far would this be from whale/orca watching. i would probably never be in the area again so i would like to do/see things i'd never see again. I am still some time away from a purchase but never too late to plan
Close - There are tour boats out of Anacortes & Bellingham or you could walk on to the ferry to Friday Harbor in the San Juans and catch a tour boat or kayak tour there. What you see depends on the time of year - right now there is a group of gray whales feeding in Saratoga Passage between Camano and Whidbey Island, May is a good time to see Orca of San Juan Island.
We did the walk on ferry ride last Thursday and had lunch in Friday Harbor... here's a view out the back deck of the ferry.
Attached Thumbnails
Baker.jpg  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Trav - when we picked up our 17, Tammy directed us to a local RV place where they gave us an ETI discount. We stayed there a night or 2 and tested everything out with shore power, then went to Cultus Lake Provincial Park nearby and camped and hiked and tested everything on battery power.

Mary still tells the story of how I insisted we wax the front of Blue in the RV place before we headed out. But the ease with which the bug accumulation came off when we got home was worth it - well to me anyway.
I am a year away from my 19 yet I appreciate your information on the local campground and the wax. On my list!
I am TOTALLY new to trailering and would love to find a useful guide on how-to, what-to, what-not and so on.
A concise description/why/why not of the ETI options would be nice of course, but then the fun of meandering through the forum would be lost!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote