Planning our trip out west - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #81

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Nathan, if you make it back to Gros Ventre, try a drive out to Atherton Creek Campground. If you liked Gros Ventre you should love Atherton, although being a Forest Service cg it has no hookups.

We found it while touring the back roads around GV one morning, found a great lake view site someone was vacating that day. Moved out of GV to Atherton for the rest of the week.
At some point, I'd love to make it back out west. Since New England has none of the rugged mountain ranges like the Rockies and Tetons, that to me, was compelling. Along with the prairies. Yes, gotta return!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Myron, where is that?

Nathan (or anyone) any advice about sites in Gros Ventre? Our plan is to go there the end of next week and stay for two weeks before we check into the RV park in Colter Bay. Atherton sounds like an interesting alternative -- i need to see where it is on a map.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ruthie, from Jackson Hole drive Rt 191/89 north until you get to Gros Ventre Road, (maybe 6 miles??) then turning right, then continue until you see the campground on the right. It's a total of 11.8 miles from Jackson Hole to the campground. I believe it's predominantly dry camping but well maintained, has a dump station, and in my opinion, considering the dense popularity of the Tetons and Yellowstone a very convenient, well kept secret. We've been there twice.

Last time there we listened to a National Parks Ranger (forgot his name) who gave a totally mesmerizing talk at the amphitheater. Much later he was a guest on Oprah's TV show.

That's the Grand Tetons back there.

By the way, if you're coming from the north and Yellowstone is your prime destination there is a commercial campground in Moran we stayed at. OK, but sterile, mostly convenient to Yellowstone is all I can say about it.
Attached Thumbnails
GrosVentre.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 AM   #84

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Gros Ventre Campground

Most of Gros Ventre was closed when we were there in late Sept so our choices were limited.

Here's a decent write-up on the sites. NP Campground Review – Gros Ventre Campground, Teton National Park, WY – Wheeling It
Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
And Moran is about 25 miles north of Gros Ventre.
Attached Thumbnails
Moran.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #86

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Planning our trip out west

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
And Moran is about 25 miles north of Gros Ventre.

Myron, now that's a steak!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #87

Bob, that is a great site! Thank you. So much information. Because we're planning to be there awhile, there will be plenty of time to scout it out and change sites if we don't have a good selection when we get there.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #88

While I'm no expert on Gros Ventre, we liked the site we were at. There was no shade or hookups, but what a view! When you enter the campground, if you turn left past the check in office, the sites on your left gives an unobstructed view of the Tetons. I have attached a photo of our site. Brings a smile....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5062.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #89
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I was in Gros Ventre last week with Dave&Kathie. We where in F loop, no generators allowed and obviously no serviced sites. It was fabulous. The sites are small. Dave&Kathie got their 21' into their site, but had to disconnect the tug and park it at an angle alongside the trailer. I was next door, still hooked up but at a weird angle. It worked just fine. And although the sites weren't unobstructed to the views of the Tetons, I was able to lay in the Lafuma and stare between the trees... and make memories. It was warm enough I was glad to have some shade and I'd go back and take the same site in a heartbeat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #90

Donna, although Nathan's site looks great, I was already thinking we'd look into F loop because I don't want to listen to generators. Thanks. I thought you once said you only go to places with full hookups? Am I remembering wrong or have you changed your mind?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Donna, although Nathan's site looks great, I was already thinking we'd look into F loop because I don't want to listen to generators. Thanks. I thought you once said you only go to places with full hookups? Am I remembering wrong or have you changed your mind?
I'm sure I've said that and even probably meant it. But I have dry camped... in a field, with no trees and no hookups and it worked fine. I'm just spoiled and like my microwave and electric blanket when I want it! But, I was prepared for the Tetons, even when the propane ran out and the water pumped didn't work. I was safe from the bears
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
In the 90's we camped at Gros Ventre. We had just finished setting up and my oldest son was maybe 12 years old came running into camp, wide eyed. Dad, dad, dad, there's moose! We walked down by the the river through some scrub and almost walked into two young moose munching on folage. Young but they were still taller than we were. We slowly backed up and watched from a more respectful distance. Boys still remember it like yesterday.

On YouTube I subscribe to Long, Long Honeymoon done by a couple that are near full time. They have a really good piece on Tetons and wildlife. They run an Airstream and do some really good videos on places to go, equipment, and general RVing. Worth a look for the Tetons.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
On YouTube I subscribe to Long, Long Honeymoon done by a couple that are near full time. They have a really good piece on Tetons and wildlife. They run an Airstream and do some really good videos on places to go, equipment, and general RVing. Worth a look for the Tetons.
Watching their Grand Teton videos was the reason we stayed at Gros Ventre. I told my wife while we were there "if it weren't for Long, Long Honeymoon, we wouldn't be here". Probably would have discovered it on our own, but watching their videos made it so much easier to decide!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #94

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not the clearest shot, but here's looking out the back window one morning, before everyone else saw him and swarmed our site.
Attached Thumbnails
moose.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When in the Tetons, don't miss the view along Mormon Row. Beautiful buildings backed by beautiful mountains!
Attached Thumbnails
ASD_3274.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #96

We're in Casper Wyoming at the River Edge RV and cabins Resort. It's your basic gravel parking lot with slightly more room than usual between the RVs. We're here to do errands so it was convenient.

But a short walk == 2 minutes -- takes us to the North Platte River. There is the office building with a comfortable lounge for campers and a large patio with comfortable chairs and a small playground as well as barbecues. Tonight the RV park celebrated the birthday of a man who stays here with his wife every summer to visit their family. A guitar player -- he was really good -- played for three hours and there was a meal set out for anyone who came by. It was a lot of fun and they evidently do this every couple of weeks, even when there are no birthdays.

AND while this isn't a reason to come here -- they have gorgeous bathrooms.

WIFI has been excellent so I was able to upload a lot of trip pictures (and my comments) to my blog

https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/
Attached Thumbnails
RV Park Party Casper.jpg   North_Platte_2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #97

I'm writing from Thermopolis Wy at the Eagle RV -- it got good reviews and really is a well kept campground with excellent bathrooms and good wifi and earnest nice people running it. However, they pack people in VERY tight -- too tight. I think it was probably constructed before the days of gigantic RVs with slideouts. So far, our daughter's awning came close to getting nicked and the guy next to us smashed into the water pipe -- necessitating that the water be shut off several times in the last couple of days.

The hardest was that we'd just come through Wind River Canyon -- breathtakingly gorgeous with a state park and dry camping where once upon a time we would have stayed in a heartbeat. But I chose to be here for Hot Spring State Park and the free bath house where we can "take the mineral waters" three times a day if we want. Also, the grandchildren got to go to the water park that is not chlorinated because the water all comes from the mineral springs. That part is great. Additionally our son-in-law needs to work during the day. Our daughter's family is full timing and he works remotely. So he needed internet. Anyway we are here, enjoying Thermopolis and figuring out where we would stay the next time. I think if we came on our own and it was fall or spring (and not 104 degrees) we would opt for the state park and just drive in the 17 miles from Boysen State Park to soak in the mineral baths.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #98

https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

With a lot of help from Terry I posted to the blog today. We really have enjoyed Thermopolis -- "took the waters" every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Wind_River_Ruth.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #99

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When in the Tetons, don't miss the view along Mormon Row. Beautiful buildings backed by beautiful mountains!
We do most of our skiing off of beautiful Teton Pass. Stay with the great folks Teton Peaks Resort in Tetonia when we are there.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #100

Trailer: None
Idaho

Sometimes we tend to take our location and surrounds for granted. Having lived in Idaho for 13 years now its a great location with mountains to our north, Sun Valley 2 hours to the east, the coast an easy drive to the west and Yellowstone and the tetons a 3/4 day drive to the east.

My wife and I have enjoyed our time boondocking near Stanley Idaho and the Sawtooth Mountains. Another gorgeous area is the Pioneer Mountains just east of Sun Valley. Most people have never even heard of them.

Starting the process of dreaming towards an Escape 19. Got a tour of one earlier this week by some nice folks in Boise. Awesome trailer for the wife and I.
Randy in Boise
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote