Planning our trip out west - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Planning our trip out west

We're planning to take a leisurely month and a half to two months to get to the Tetons next summer. We'll start in mid June so most of the trip will be peak season. We'll probably take 80 to Des Moines and then north to 90 and follow that west. That means we'll be starting in New York State and going through Ohio, Indiana, illinois, Iowa, South Dakota and Wyoming.

We have reservations in the Tetons,and I know we should make reservations along the way, but I'm having trouble planning. I want to find bike trails, especially in the midwest where we can find gentle ones -- neither of us is interested in hill climbing. So does anyone have suggestions for less known places to visit along the way or any great bike paths?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Stay south and visit Colorado. Nice bike trail from Aspen to Glenwood Springs and it is slightly downhill all the way. Steamboat Springs has several miles of trails in the downtown area and they follow the river so very gentle. Boulder Colorado area has over 250 miles of trails and you can drive into the mountains and ride down. Also visit Rocky Mountain National Park to see the Colorado elk which are very large but spend all of their time standing around grazing. Then when you see the elk in Wyoming, which are constantly chased by the wolf packs you'll see a much different animal.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We're planning to take a leisurely month and a half to two months to get to the Tetons next summer. We'll start in mid June so most of the trip will be peak season. We'll probably take 80 to Des Moines and then north to 90 and follow that west. That means we'll be starting in New York State and going through Ohio, Indiana, illinois, Iowa, South Dakota and Wyoming.

We have reservations in the Tetons,and I know we should make reservations along the way, but I'm having trouble planning. I want to find bike trails, especially in the midwest where we can find gentle ones -- neither of us is interested in hill climbing. So does anyone have suggestions for less known places to visit along the way or any great bike paths?
I would suggest a loop. My in laws live in Indiana and we live in Washington. I was born in Cheyenne and raised in Colorado so I have made variations of this trip many times.

From IN, loop around Chicago and head up through WI to visit Madison and the wonderful state capital there. Lots of good bicycling too. Then across via La Croix, WI where there is a wonderful historic district on the Mississippi. Cross into South Dakota to the Black Hills and Mt Rushmore. From there catch Devil's tower in WY, then across to the Tetons / Yellowstone. On the way back, head down to Colorado for the suggestions posted by SFdavis50. Head home by way of I-80 and Nebraska, etc. Two months should be plenty of time to do all of that in a relaxed way. Good Luck!
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We took the slower route, got off I-80 in Akron OH taking 2ndary roads the rest of the way to Yellowstone and some what the same route coming back from the Tetons, at least till Deb decided she wanted to get home quicker to see the grand kids.

Many small towns you could stop in and ride the quiet streets. We checked out county parks for camping as well as a number of nice out of the way state parks. Surprising to us was how much we enjoyed driving the back roads through Nebraska.

We left in late August, the only time we had problems was finding a campground on Labor Day weekend. We ended up at Walmart, which can be noisy places. As you are going in the summer you may have to call ahead as you look for places to stay, it was not an issue in late August-Oct. We spent about a week driving one way.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Ruthe, We just completed the reverse of your plan, and our favorite overnight was in Iowa. A county park near Montezuma, about 7 miles south of I-80. We found it on Allstays and it is named, Diamond Lake County Park Camp Ground. It has lots of sites on the water and lots of easy biking and walking trails. I'd go back there and spend a week!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0408.jpg  

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Hey Steve,
That 21 looks great behind that Explorer!!!!
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Make sure you get the I Pass for the toll roads otherwise it's double when paying cash
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I've never understood exactly what "out west" meant. I'd have to drive east 3 long days to get to the west in Colorado!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I've never understood exactly what "out west" meant. I'd have to drive east 3 long days to get to the west in Colorado!
If you think that's strange Greg, try "Down East".

You can't go "down" to go east, at least using the common slang for map directions, but folks in Maine call it that.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
"Down East "? Heard of Back East and Down South.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
If you jump up to 90 a bit earlier, there is some great biking in Wisconsin from state trails on railroad beds to bike paths to paved county highways. Interstate 90 passes by Madison, WI, which has numerous paths around the city/lakes.

J&J
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think we got some folks here from Down East, as in Maine.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I live 80 miles from the Pacific ocean as the crow flies. When folks talk about "out west" and they mean Colorado... I think, I'd have to drive more than 20 hours EAST just to get there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm in the South West, does that count. Lots of horse thieves, Indians, cowboys and cactus.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
West

Quote:
The Jordan Motor car company produced an iconic advertisement with one of their cars being driven "Somewhere west of Laramie. The prose is beautiful and I think of it every time I hit Big ,Wonderful Wyoming and on up into the Big Sky Country and then over Lolo Pass and Down the Lochsa. 48 years this June since I headed to Idaho from Iowa on the Honda Superhawk.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
Hey Steve,
That 21 looks great behind that Explorer!!!!
Thanks titanizer, It towed great over the Sierras and the Rockies too (those Rockies are a long pull). 15.3 mpg to the east coast and 14.7 to the west coast.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm in the South West, does that count. Lots of horse thieves, Indians, cowboys and cactus.
And a few bad hombres !
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I get it Dave - a political joke. Verrrrry funny
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Hi Iowa Dave, Your mention of Lochsa reminded me that 50 years ago we would drive from Missoula (U. of M.) up to Lochsa Lodge because the drinking age was 20 in Idaho. Seven packed into a 52 Studebaker Commander. Nuff said. Cheers, Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
And your closest approach to the Pacific Ocean is to drive due South!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote