Port Townsend area - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Port Townsend area

We might want to look at the Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Quilcene area as a place to live, on the way to Chilliwack. We would likely come in from the east to Monroe and then I guess go up to the Mount Vernon area and down to the ferry. I am supposing that we can get a ferry and see the area easily in just a few hours to have an idea of it. Is that the route and ferry we should take, Coupeville Ferry?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Yes, the Coupeville (aka Keystone) ferry is the one to take from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend and environs. It's about a half-hour ride. From the Mt. Vernon area, take Hwy 20 west right onto the ferry.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #3

Thank you, Karen! So we will take 20 down to Crockett Lake. And if you want to see our 21' when we pick up, and maybe your son will be camping, let us know.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Cathy,
As one who has lived in Port Townsend, I suggest you make a reservation with the Washington State Ferries if you know your schedule .... particularity if you want to make a passage near or on the weekends. The whole Olympic Peninsula is wonderful and deserves a leisurely exploration. Budget more than a little time for this area. Suggest traveling around from Port Townsend to Port Angeles to Cape Flattery to Aberdeen / Hoquim to Shelton and up western shore of Hood Canal and back to Port Townsend. A circumnavigation of the Olympic Peninsula is one of my all time favorite drives. Summer traffic reverses that opinion. You are welcome to PM me for some of my favorite areas.

By the way ... how did you make out with you grease stains?

Tom
Old 05-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #5

Thank you, Tom, and I will look at that route. Will be there middle of the week. As for the 19', good enough, sold it!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

I infer from your original post that you won't be camping in the Olympic Peninsula as that leg of your trip is pre-trailer. If you do plan to camp in Washington State Parks anywhere, do be sure to make reservations to insure a place to stay:

https://washington.goingtocamp.com/

And for reservations on the Coupeville/Port Townsend ferry:

https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferr...okieCheck=true (mobile app?) or

https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferr...okieCheck=true (pc?)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Thank you, Tom, and I will look at that route. Will be there middle of the week. As for the 19', good enough, sold it!
And just a reminder that if you don't have the trailer there are multiple land routes to Port Townsend that take you through some beautiful country and you could then take the ferry out of PT to avoid doubling up on your route to Chilliwack. Just a thought.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We love the Port Townsend area. We usually camp at Ft Worden, the beachside campground (they have 2 campgrounds, a commons area with a cafe, lots of things to see). Port Townsend is charming. Definitely make reservations for the ferry. Here's a pic of the 21 on our way home from Chilliwack on the Coupeville ferry (the little orange sticker in the window shows that the propane is turned off). There's a great little food place at the dock called the Keystone Cafe, in case you are waiting for the ferry and need coffee or fish and chips.
Happy Trails,
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
Ferry21.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

As you come into or leave Keystone Harbor, always check over the campground to the north...you may see an Escape or two there!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Yes, the Coupeville (aka Keystone) ferry is the one to take from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend and environs. It's about a half-hour ride. From the Mt. Vernon area, take Hwy 20 west right onto the ferry.
Beside the Keystone Ferry is a campground at Fort Casey. Its small & on the water - great spot to camp over night & hope on the ferry in the morning from. Half the sites now have power (in the past they did not) and you can now make reservations there - which I personally on the fence as to whether that is good or bad....
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19
Or try the Port Hudson Marina. Right on the water with magnificent views of the marine traffic going to, or coming from, Seattle. Negative: no picnic tables. But nice public facilities and a very nice restaurant on site. And a short walk to town.
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutterslo View Post
Or try the Port Hudson Marina. Right on the water with magnificent views of the marine traffic going to, or coming from, Seattle. Negative: no picnic tables. But nice public facilities and a very nice restaurant on site. And a short walk to town.
Larry, will check that out. Saw photos and we won't miss it!

And CG at Fort Casey, Fiberglass Fan.

Kathie, thought that was your bundle on top of the Escape somehow but decided it is the truck behind!
It certainly looks like a good area to visit.

Karen, we are booked at Silver Lake after pick-up. Were hoping not to have to book the ferry in the middle of the week but it will be August.

Tim and Julie, yes, I see other routes. Looks as if there are some bridges in addition to ferries.

Thank you, all. Can't wait to see Port Townsend and the rest.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Smile When

When are you coming? Do I read your posting correctly that it will be in August? Too bad you are missing our WAG in June. Nothing like talking with people who live out here in Washington to get a feel for the different areas.

I recommend the drive from Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge.
I also recommend that you buy a National Parks Senior pass. There are a lot of National Parks out here, between here and Iowa and getting in free sure beats paying!!

Between eastern and western Washington, along Hwy 2, is the city of Leavenworth which is constructed like a Bavarian village.

That area is big on growing lavender. There are fields of it in the spring. On the east side of Puget Sound, around LaConner, they grow tulips. It is a beautiful sight to see acres of tulips blooming. All the towns near the water are subject to salt air which can corrode the metal on your possessions. Members who live in those areas can address that issue.

Another point is to subscribe to the local newspaper of any town you are contemplating. That way you find out their issues good and bad. Or you can probably read them online.

I had these pictures inserted in the text but suddenly they placed themselves here:
View of Leavenworth and View from Hurricane Ridge.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2610.jpg   GEDC2670.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #14

Roger, thank you for those photos. Yes, we will be there first week of August. We should have a little stop at Leavenworth as that is on our route and it looks really good. We camp at Corps of Engineers campgrounds and would not be without our senior passes. We will, however, be in Canada and will have to pay the big fees for the parks and NP passes and will not have deals like that on this trip. I expect it will be more than worth it though to see Jasper/Banff and the rest. We will a look at the Port Townsend area one day.