Problems crossing the border, anyone? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
Yes, I was detained for about 45 minutes when I crossed into Canada at Sumas on May 13 to pick up my 21. They said it was because I had not been in Canada for a long time so they needed to do some extra checking. They searched me for weapons and took my vehicle keys. I couldn't see my truck and saw no evidence that they searched it. They didn't ask if I had any firearms with me, but instead asked how many firearms I had with me and where were they. I got repeated questions about how much the new trailer cost. I had overpaid because the dollar got stronger while my check was in the mail and wasn't sure how much of a refund I was going to get so I couldn't give them an exact amount. That seemed to bother them. Getting back into the US took less than a minute. Eric
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've always thought the whole "border hassle" issue was way overblown, having had absolutely no issues crossing quickly. Then again, my opinion might be different if I'd encountered what some here are describing. Maybe I just 'look harmless'?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 AM   #43

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Was the OP traveling with a US Passport card or an actual Passport. I understand that dealing with issues of identity such as they described are less likely if one is traveling with an actual Passport. Also the more frequently you cross the boarder the less likely it will happen again. If its the first time for example that you have used the card or passport and they ask questions to verify you are not the party they are looking for they put little notes into their computer system so you don't get asked again.

I do know several people who have over the years had similar issues when crossing borders - most since 9/11 and not just the US/Canada, as their name and birthday match someone on an internationally shared terrorist list or has an international warrant out for their arrest. More than one has missed a flight over it.

Personally cross the border multiple times a year and sometimes I am asked very few questions and neither the back of the vehicle or trailer are opened, other times I am asked lots of questions and sometimes the back or the vehicle with be opened at the booth for a quick look or they will walk up to the trailer and look in the windows. Happens going in both directions.

Sometimes the questions asked make little sense. I always answer them as clearly as possible. Any time you give vague answers you can be sure you will get more questions. Also avoid giving to much info as that can open the door to lots of new questions as well.

Have come to the conclusion that how well the crossing goes depends on how good or bad a day the border guard is having. Can often tell by their face & opening comments. An example of that was on my last crossing into the US. The border guard while taking my passport from my hand asked "Where is it that you think I should allow you to go today". Know right there and then that this was not going to be a fast crossing. Lots of questions and sure enough he wanted to look in the back of the vehicle and asked for the trailer keys and went into it - that was actually the first time in about 25 crossings that any of them have gone into the trailer.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We crossed into the States at Port Angles on Easter Sunday. At US Customs, we gave the Border Agent our passports and he then asked where we were headed. I said, Rodeo, NM. He paused, looked back and then asked me if I was pulling a horse trailer.

Oh boy... I was speechless... The last thing I wanted to do was make him look stupid. We were not going to a rodeo in NM... but how to break it to him diplomatically? Thinking feverishly, I then explained to him what a unique trailer we were pulling... two fiberglass halves glued together... what... if one didn't cut holes in it, it would float... or could use it as a water tank! As he then looked at me with a puzzled look on his face, he asked about veggies, fruits & eggs... Thanks goodness, no more horsies or rodeos... But then my wife said yes, we only have a dozen eggs. Whoops, not good... then came the dreaded words... "pull over there"!

Now I'm carrying a 12" telescope behind the driver's seat that looks like a cannon, going through the same border crossing that a terrorist used a few years back on the way to LA and this guy thinks I'm going to a rodeo in NM

Now the good news... After pulling over to the side, a new agent, after chatting with the first one comes over and asked about the eggs and wants to see them. My wife gets out, opens the trailer, takes out the eggs and the agent asks her if they are hard boiled. She says no, so he says... I'll have to confiscate them. My wife says... I checked on the US Customs website and there is no mention of bringing eggs into the US. His reply... you folks are not allowing US eggs into Canada, so we now not going to allow your eggs into the US.

Now, I'm overhearing their conversation and I'm thinking... has my wife gone mad Give him the damn eggs before he checks the back seat and finds the "cannon"... I'm envisioning twenty years to life in Leavenworth... and she's worried about a dozen eggs...

Well cooler heads prevail and my wife begrudgingly forfeits the eggs... All is good and we can go

As we pull away she is still "pissed" and says to me... I was going to tell him "How dare he take my eggs away from me on Easter Sunday... The Easter Bunny brought them to me"

Leavenworth Baby... Leavenworth... Don't fool with, or try to figure out Customs on either side of the border

Travel Safe,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Stargeezer... To bad you got to the border on "Egg Sunday". We have been there on "Red pepper day" as well as "Garlic day". Doesn't matter the garlic was roasted or the red pepper was washed and bagged. I was threatened with a $300. fine but not prison!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Stargeezer... To bad you got to the border on "Egg Sunday". We have been there on "Red pepper day" as well as "Garlic day". Doesn't matter the garlic was roasted or the red pepper was washed and bagged. I was threatened with a $300. fine but not prison!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
That's good Alf, we don't want you here in Leavenworth anyway. How are your woodworking or metal work skills? Beth went to the "prisoner store" the other day, some great metal and wood pieces, like an oak rocking chair for $90. All you are paying for is the materials. Seems when Claire comes with her truck to visit in July she will have some "goodies" from that store for us. Just hope she gets through Canadian customs OK!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Still wishin' there was a "like" button for these posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Much better answer than "go ahead, make my day".
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #48

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Still wishin' there was a "like" button for these posts!
Add me to the like list
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

There is a like button in the Smilies.
Go Advanced.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
I meant like on Facebook, where I just hit the "Like" right on your post and not have to do the quote/repost thing. In other words: the lazy way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

There is a like button in the Smilies.
Go Advanced.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #51

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
So, basically, what I'm gathering here is that one should not bring fresh foods across the border. That you need to stop at a grocery store after crossing over and do your food shopping then. It seems that boxed or canned goods should be fine if they're not opened.

Dang! I never had to worry about stuff like that when I drove across in just my car. More to be aware of when you're in a trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Was the OP traveling with a US Passport card or an actual Passport.
I used my passport card. I got it specifically so I could travel to/from Canada without bringing along (and possibly losing) my passport. Shouldn't make a difference which one I use imho.

The man at the booth was a bit cranky and asked why I had a trailer, or something like that. I said he must have seen several already on that day; he replied he had just arrived for his shift. The guy inside was much friendlier, was aware of the Escape Rally, and wished me well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #53

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Great forum topic! I am crossing into Canada for the first time on the 16th. I confess I'm a bit nervous with all the comments. I think I have everything in order, just don't want to make a mistake.
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
We've made four crossings recently and have had a great experience each time. Just make sure to have your paperwork ready and organized. The last time we came back in to the US after we picked up our trailer we forgot the registration for the car but had the rest of our paperwork in order so they let us in without a hassle. Not sure if it's because we had a toddler and they didn't want to give us a hard time or not. Either way, it has been relatively easy each time.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #55

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria every few years. You always get asked what you're bringing back and how long you were there. We'd go up for 3 days and 2 nights, which meant I could bring back more than if you're there for a day. So, I'd stock up on my Roger's dark chocolate Victoria Creams. When I'd tell the customs person about getting the chocolates, they'd always smile.

I'd also bring back a few books from Canadian authors that I can't find their books down here. Never had a problem with either the books or chocolates.

Just declare everything you have with you. If you purchase anything you're bringing back with you, keep the receipts, just in case. Be sure your passport isn't going to expire within a few months of crossing. Don't have a DUI on your record as that can keep you out of Canada. Don't take a gun across the border (I don't own guns, but I'm pretty sure you can't take them in, even if you have permits here in the States). Don't have any firecrackers/fireworks on board.

If you're taking a pet with you, make sure you have up-to-date shots and have the appropriate papers stating so with you.

Take your sunglasses off when you cross so they can see your face more clearly. If you have tinted windows, be prepared to roll them down so they can check inside. Or open the doors. I've had to do that before.

Be nice and polite to 'em. You probably won't have any problems, so don't lose too much sleep over it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #56

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

The man at the booth was a bit cranky and asked why I had a trailer, or something like that. I said he must have seen several already on that day; he replied he had just arrived for his shift. .
Sorry but going to suggest that was your first mistake and may have been why you found yourself going inside. I have found its always best to keep your answer simple and straight and NEVER try and joke with the agent or say anything that makes them think your making fun of their question or authority - even if unintentional. Have been a passenger in car more than once when the driver has mistakenly done that and its never gone well! sure fire way to start the ball rolling down hill fast as the agent decides to show just how unfunny the power he has can be.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Yes sir, no sir seems to work wonders.

Little harder to figure out when to use "miss/m'am".
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Mangled is an unusual last name!
Mine is Mangel!
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Sorry but going to suggest that was your first mistake and may have been why you found yourself going inside. I have found its always best to keep your answer simple and straight and NEVER try and joke with the agent or say anything that makes them think your making fun of their question or authority - even if unintentional. Have been a passenger in car more than once when the driver has mistakenly done that and its never gone well! sure fire way to start the ball rolling down hill fast as the agent decides to show just how unfunny the power he has can be.
I agree with this almost 100% - with one tiny little caveat. If I'm traveling to another country, I have no right to question that country's rules, regulations or procedures. The cost of my being granted permission to enter is to follow their rules.

BUT, when an officer or agency in my OWN country oversteps their authority, violates my civil rights or asks me to do something they have no business asking, you can bet your bottom dollar I do question it. I know the topic is crossing into Canada specifically, but I guess I'm just trying to say that I sometimes DO question authority, in the right context. It also depends (at least for me) on whether or not I'm traveling alone. I am pretty compliant when my noncompliance could mean inconveniencing those I am traveling with.

Part of the reason I'm not in law enforcement anymore is that I routinely observed officers violating the rights of the citizens they swore to serve and protect. Was it the norm? No. Was it happening all to regularly? Yes.

I've only ever been treated with courtesy, professionalism and respect by the Canadian authorities. Only wish I could say the same about the US side.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree with this almost 100% - with one tiny little caveat. If I'm traveling to another country, I have no right to question that country's rules, regulations or procedures. The cost of my being granted permission to enter is to follow their rules.
This is a great attitude to have, and shows lots of respect. I wish everyone coming to Canada had the same attitude.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote