Problems crossing the border, anyone? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #61
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
We're still in Canada since the rally. Today we were stopped on the highway from Jasper to Kamloops. The authorities, multiple vehicles and personnel were stopping every vehicle and searching quite a few. The Canadian policewoman asked where we were bound, a straight answer and a courteous yes mam, no man, was all that was required to be waved through in less than 30 seconds. Answer the questions, no joking, no volunteered information and straightforward presentation goes a long ways from my experience. I wondered what they were looking and always will, cause I knew better than to ask.
Dave and Jake, and Rita, our master
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
.... no volunteered information.
This is one that folks are all too guilty of, and I know I have been in the past. Officials are not there to be chatty, and often dislike attempts at it.

I do keep trying to get them to smile though. It is like a life's mission for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Sorry but going to suggest that was your first mistake and may have been why you found yourself going inside.
No. I wasn't joking; I was totally serious. I had just seen two or three other Escapes a few miles south of me and assumed they had already gone through the checkpoint, so I was genuinely puzzled when he stared at my trailer and asked about it. I don't think my comment had anything to do with my subsequent treatment.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
I have found its always best to keep your answer simple and straight and NEVER try and joke with the agent or say anything that makes them think your making fun of their question or authority - even if unintentional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
No. I wasn't joking; I was totally serious. I had just seen two or three other Escapes a few miles south of me and assumed they had already gone through the checkpoint, so I was genuinely puzzled when he stared at my trailer and asked about it. I don't think my comment had anything to do with my subsequent treatment.
Aside from any concerns with joking, volunteering extra information or just making conversation can be interpreted as the behaviour of a person trying to cover their nervousness, raising suspicion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Aside from any concerns with joking, volunteering extra information or just making conversation can be interpreted as the behaviour of a person trying to cover their nervousness, raising suspicion.
Since I have undergone extra questioning all three times I have crossed into B.C., I am certain my behavior at the border checkpoint has nothing to do with it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I expect that the first time was placed as an alert for the second and third.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
wondered what they were looking and always will, cause I knew better than to ask.
Dave and Jake, and Rita, our master
Perhaps this,

Manhunt comes up empty - Kamloops News - Castanet.net
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #68

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Part of the reason I'm not in law enforcement anymore is that I routinely observed officers violating the rights of the citizens they swore to serve and protect. Was it the norm? No. Was it happening all too regularly? Yes.
When we lived in Spokane on 150 acres we caught two guys trespassing and illegally hunting deer on our property. Turns out one of them was a Spokane Country deputy and lived nearby. They didn't have charges filed against them since *we* didn't have enough "no trespassing" signs posted. I guess the one on the gate they walked past (in the snow, so we were able to find their tracks and then found them hiding under a bush) wasn't enough.

I know, not the subject here, but it still boils my blood, even after 15+ years.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
They do ask inappropriate questions and while it's hard not to react, it's totally
the right thing to do. My husband was furious many years ago when they turned to our then young children and asked them if we were their parents because he felt that was scary for them. But we didn't react. And last year when the inspector asked us why we had two houses and what we paid for our trailer -- that was none of her business, but we didn't react. Maybe we had volunteered too much information but we were trying to explain the process of buying a trailer in Canada. It didn't matter that we didn't react -- we still got sent inside, but it would have been a lot worse if we'd informed everyone what we thought about their questions. I wish that I thought this "security" made us all safer -- that would make it easier to comply.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote