Pros and Cons of staying at "posh" RV resorts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Pros and Cons of staying at "posh" RV resorts

My beloved and I are planning to spend a few weeks on Vancouver Island.

I just came across this website: Surfside RV Resort - Parksville Bc Canada - Five Star Oceanfront RV Resort (via the Forum ads) which claims to be a Five Star RV resort in Parksvile on Vancouver Island. The resort has a pool, hot tub, clubhouse with fireplace. You have to have a newish trailer.

Check out their website Surfside RV Resort - Parksville Bc Canada - Five Star Oceanfront RV Resort
And amenities page: Surfside RV Resort Amenities - Parksville Vancouver Island

I'm imaging our little 17b in between all the huge trailers and me out there grilling a burger on my wee portable grill perched on its collapsible table while I sip a few beers. We also have a little laundry wheel we hang off the front window rock gaurd upon which we hang towels and dish cloths (so far no underwear).

My beloved (aka upper management) has announced that on long trips every 10 days she wants a real bed and hot bath. I'm wondering if this option will suffice. Our camping style leans towards Provincial Parks and most recently towards more austere BC Recreational sites.

I have noted that Escapers tend towards minimalism and away from 5 Star Resorts. Even so, I'm wondering if other Escapers have enjoyed staying at places like Surfside.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I think it won't hurt to try it. Do what feels good to you and don't worry what other Escapers do. Best advice I have received since I started my trailer camping was to drive my own drive and don't worry how others do it.
Same with camping. Some days you might want a little extra, other days maybe you won't.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
In addition to what Sandy said, sometimes I book, say two nights then decide if I want to pony up for x more nights or choose to hit the road.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Larry, guessing your better half may not go for that idea but she may decide that she would like that for the other nine days.

Please report if you go!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some of the posh resorts in FL have a 20' or 21' minimum rule, might want to check on that aspect.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I far prefer state (provincial), county, and city parks, along with Forest Service, BLM & other minimal campgrounds, but sometimes end up in "Resorts". To me, a resort campground means the utilities will be on the wrong end of the site, probably no picnic table, finding ones self parked between two 40' motorhomes, often too close for comfort, and an extra $10.00 or more for the term.

One also has to be careful of campgrounds with "Resort" in the name - I've been in more than a few that were a long way from my idea of what the term implies...
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I far prefer state (provincial), county, and city parks, along with Forest Service, BLM & other minimal campgrounds, but sometimes end up in "Resorts". To me, a resort campground means the utilities will be on the wrong end of the site, probably no picnic table, finding ones self parked between two 40' motorhomes, often too close for comfort, and an extra $10.00 or more for the term.

One also has to be careful of campgrounds with "Resort" in the name - I've been in more than a few that were a long way from my idea of what the term implies...
Hi: Vermilye... We've usually found "Resort" in the name adds $$$'s to the game. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My idea of a posh "resort" is a place that's well lighted, has sit-down fast food, and simple trailer amenities, restrooms, even shower rooms, and reasonable rates. Oh wait, I just described a Flying J.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
To me, a resort campground means the utilities will be on the wrong end of the site, probably no picnic table...
Maybe this is some weird eastern U.S. thing - the vast majority of campgrounds, including the "RV parks" that I've seen, have the services at the driver's side rear of an RV backed into the site... and a table.

The RV parks usually have the sites very close, essentially laid out as a parking lot, due the cost of running services (underground wiring and plumbing), maintaining nice roads, and buying property in the convenient locations where they are usually found.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My idea of a posh "resort" is a place that's well lighted, has sit-down fast food, and simple trailer amenities, restrooms, even shower rooms, and reasonable rates. Oh wait, I just described a Flying J.
Hi: MyronL... We stayed at Inverhuron Provincial Pk. last year. It had only been reopened a few years and had all new power posts. They were twin posts and 90% located along the roads of very deep sites. If you didn't have 200' of extension cords you were powerless!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... We stayed at Inverhuron Provincial Pk. last year. It had only been reopened a few years and had all new power posts. They were twin posts and 90% located along the roads of very deep sites. If you didn't have 200' of extension cords you were powerless!!!
Idiots building facilities... they're not just for RV parks anymore.

The park web site says
Quote:
The large private sites may mean that you need to bring an extra long extension cord to reach the electrical outlet.
No, you need the long cord because the site is poorly designed, not because it is large.

A savvy entrepreneur would buy a set of extension cords sized for these sites and rent them out - maybe $20/day, with a three-day minimum on weekends. Payback in the first summer, and piles of profit after that.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A savvy entrepreneur would buy a set of extension cords sized for these sites and rent them out - maybe $20/day, with a three-day minimum on weekends. Payback in the first summer, and piles of profit after that.
Would you have to reserve one?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Would you have to reserve one?
No, reservations would be optional... for a non-refundable fee of course!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
My beloved and I are planning to spend a few weeks on Vancouver Island.

I just came across this website: Surfside RV Resort - Parksville Bc Canada - Five Star Oceanfront RV Resort (via the Forum ads) which claims to be a Five Star RV resort in Parksvile on Vancouver Island. The resort has a pool, hot tub, clubhouse with fireplace. You have to have a newish trailer.

Check out their website Surfside RV Resort - Parksville Bc Canada - Five Star Oceanfront RV Resort
And amenities page: Surfside RV Resort Amenities - Parksville Vancouver Island

I'm imaging our little 17b in between all the huge trailers and me out there grilling a burger on my wee portable grill perched on its collapsible table while I sip a few beers. We also have a little laundry wheel we hang off the front window rock gaurd upon which we hang towels and dish cloths (so far no underwear).

My beloved (aka upper management) has announced that on long trips every 10 days she wants a real bed and hot bath. I'm wondering if this option will suffice. Our camping style leans towards Provincial Parks and most recently towards more austere BC Recreational sites.

I have noted that Escapers tend towards minimalism and away from 5 Star Resorts. Even so, I'm wondering if other Escapers have enjoyed staying at places like Surfside.

Larry
Looks like it's a gated community RV resort . Which means you need a membership. I maybe wrong.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Looks like it's a gated community RV resort . Which means you need a membership.
Yes, they describe themselves as a "RV membership resort"... but
Quote:
Visitors with full hook-up RVs are welcome year round.
Advance reservations are recommended.
The reservation information explains requirements, and links to a rate chart. I don't see any explanation of the membership, such as what it gives you that a "visitor" might not get.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I couldn't find rates -- but they sound pretty strict -- cancellations less than 30 days don't get a refund. What I like is that it is on the water and it says one can walk to the beach. That would get me to pay premium, but you're only going to find a bathtub in a hotel.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I couldn't find rates -- but they sound pretty strict -- cancellations less than 30 days don't get a refund. What I like is that it is on the water and it says one can walk to the beach. That would get me to pay premium, but you're only going to find a bathtub in a hotel.
Not so, we have the infamous Jack F who built his wife a bathtub in a Scamp 16

Bathtub in a Scamp 16! | Scamp Owners International
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Looks like it's a gated community RV resort . Which means you need a membership. I maybe wrong.
Yep I looked again at the Website. They sell memberships. I guess we'll just press our dirty faces against the fence and ask if they can serve us some gruel. I don't think we would have liked it anyway.

I guess we will head for a hotel/motel for a bed and tub. But I remember once, years ago pulling off the highways with our kids, booking a motel room and the bed was still rumpled, faint smell of cigarettes in the air, from what we suspected was a recent "by the hour" rental ( we went back to the office and asked for a different room). Maybe if I remind Liz of that event, we can stick with why we like our cute little 17b

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We went to a whoopee do timeshare in Tahoe last January and our takeaway is our bed in the 21 is way better(we built our own mattress).
Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Qualicum First Nations has a RV park on the water just a half hour up the highway. It has wild life. Parksville ( in my opinion ) is just a strip mall and no night life.
Attached Thumbnails
eagle again - 1.jpg   Qualicum First Nation.jpg