Rand McNally gps for RVs - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My monthly bill is $48 CDN.
This month I have used 31 of 400 MB allowed. Used 26 of unlimited messages and 25 of 300 minutes airtime.

If I yakked on my phone, it wouldn't matter if it was a smart phone or not. The charge is for airtime; not for being smart.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a Tracfone account. I think it's a good deal for someone who doesn't talk on the phone that much. It's a "pay as you go" service, and my total cellphone service cost last year was $156.25.

In January I bought a Samsung Galaxy Stardust smartphone to use with the Tracfone service. Target had it on sale for $50. It is an Android phone that works on Verizon's network. Besides the phones they offer like the Stardust, Tracfone will now also let you "bring your own phone" to use with their service, but you have to do some research to see which phones are allowed.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #43

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Guess we are in that 1/3 then because we both have flip phones and really don't want a smart phone and the charges. (snip) Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a Tracfone account. I think it's a good deal for someone who doesn't talk on the phone that much. It's a "pay as you go" service, and my total cellphone service cost last year was $156.25. (snip)
My dad has a Tracphone account and he pays about the same per minute that I do. However, he doesn't like anyone calling him on that phone as it costs him minutes (and money), so it's kind of a pain when he's not home and being a snowbird in AZ.

Pat, we pay $100 a year for 1000 minutes through T-Mobile. If you don't use them all up in a year, they will roll over as long as you pay for it before your year is up. If you miss it by one day, you lose those minutes. And, of course, they never tell you when your year is up, so it's up to you to keep track of it. We did buy our phones through them and I don't know if they support all types of phones. Outside my area of expertise.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would be totally lost without my smartphone. Both for work, and for my personal use.

With it I not only phone, but messaging is a huge thing for me, whether text, email or Facebook messenger.

I also;
- Keep To Do lists
- Keep track of beer and wine purchases
- Use Google maps a lot
- Find homes for sale on Realtor.ca
- It is my construction calculator, the single best app I ever bought
- It is a flashlight
- I try to keep up on Facebook and some forums
- I check the weather forecasts, at home and where I intend to go
- I play silly games, mostly Scrabble type with friends, and a few card games too
- I take pictures, though mostly at work. Very valuable thing to have for that.
- It is a flashlight
- I keep track of all appointments and other happenings
- I surf the internet, searching and researching
- I do purchase orders for work
- I use Soundhound to figure out what song I am hearing, and save it to my list of songs
- I access files stored in the cloud for personal and work use
- I monitor my favourite sports teams
- I use GasBuddy to find good fuel prices
- I read local newspapers
- I look works up in the Dictionary
- I use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop
- It is my clock in the trailer
- I shop Kijiji
- I tune my guitar
- I have a bunch of different health apps I use
- I use Microsoft apps, like Word and Excel
- I use it to scan documents to PDF
- I have a horde of great RV and camping type apps
- I use Audubon Birds to ID ones I don't know
- It makes a great level
- And on, and on, and on........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
My dad has a Tracphone account and he pays about the same per minute that I do. However, he doesn't like anyone calling him on that phone as it costs him minutes (and money), so it's kind of a pain when he's not home and being a snowbird in AZ.

Pat, we pay $100 a year for 1000 minutes through T-Mobile. If you don't use them all up in a year, they will roll over as long as you pay for it before your year is up. If you miss it by one day, you lose those minutes. And, of course, they never tell you when your year is up, so it's up to you to keep track of it. We did buy our phones through them and I don't know if they support all types of phones. Outside my area of expertise.
Thanks for the info . Think we need to keep some kind of Att because of the mobile to mobile with kids in Washington . The Verizon could go though . Forgot on my I-pad have a free grandfathered in magic jack which comes in handy calling Canada . But I think they have a 800 number now which is a free call too. Will look into something else for replacing Verizon . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I like the way it knows what I'm thinking.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #47

Quote:
I would be totally lost without my smartphone. Both for work, and for my personal use.

With it I not only phone, but messaging is a huge thing for me, whether text, email or Facebook messenger.

I also;
- Keep To Do lists
- Keep track of beer and wine purchases
- Use Google maps a lot
- Find homes for sale on Realtor.ca
- It is my construction calculator, the single best app I ever bought
- It is a flashlight
- I try to keep up on Facebook and some forums
- I check the weather forecasts, at home and where I intend to go
- I play silly games, mostly Scrabble type with friends, and a few card games too
- I take pictures, though mostly at work. Very valuable thing to have for that.
- It is a flashlight
- I keep track of all appointments and other happenings
- I surf the internet, searching and researching
- I do purchase orders for work
- I use Soundhound to figure out what song I am hearing, and save it to my list of songs
- I access files stored in the cloud for personal and work use
- I monitor my favourite sports teams
- I use GasBuddy to find good fuel prices
- I read local newspapers
- I use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop
- It is my clock in the trailer
- I shop Kijiji
- I tune my guitar
- I have a bunch of different health apps I use
- I use Microsoft apps, like Word and Excel
- I use it to scan documents to PDF
- I have a horde of great RV and camping type apps
- I use Audubon Birds to ID ones I don't know
- It makes a great level
- And on, and on, and on........
Jim just about everything you have on here I use my I-pad for . Love to still write things down and have a quitar tuner . Got to admit I use this I- pad a lot . Still only want phone as a phone even though I could hook up to Internet with it , if I was willing to pay more for the phone usage . Do have wifi because have a Roku on TV , but have found I also can have freeTV with a antenna on roof . Without Sat for 5 years now and don't miss it a bit . Pat
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Jim do you use Zomato to check out restaurants, it's pretty good.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Jim just about everything you have on here I use my I-pad for . Love to still write things down and have a quitar tuner . Got to admit I use this I- pad a lot . Still only want phone as a phone even though I could hook up to Internet with it , if I was willing to pay more for the phone usage . Do have wifi because have a Roku on TV , but have found I also can have freeTV with a antenna on roof . Without Sat for 5 years now and don't miss it a bit . Pat
I don't have a tablet, thus the use of my phone. What do you use for connectivity with your tablet when on the road, and without wifi? Or do you find wifi a lot. I know though available at lots of places now, it never seems to be where I am with my laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Jim do you use Zomato to check out restaurants, it's pretty good.

Cheers
Doug
No I haven't. Except for this past extended weekend in Vancouver, we don't eat out a lot, though I imagine we might once we start travelling more. I will have a look at Zomato, I have heard about it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I like the way it knows what I'm thinking.
Oh yeah, my phone uses autocorrect a lot too.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #51

Quote:
I don't have a tablet, thus the use of my phone. What do you use for connectivity with your tablet when on the road, and without wifi? Or do you find wifi a lot. I know though available at lots of places now, it never seems to be where I am with my laptop.

No I haven't. Except for this past extended weekend in Vancouver, we don't eat out a lot, though I imagine we might once we start travelling more. I will have a look at Zomato, I have heard about it.
Jim McDonald's , Starbucks , many places . My I-pad also has phone free Magicjack , can even call Canada for free . I don't know if can still get I am grandfathered in . Also have portable GPS . Just don't want to pay for lot's of this stuff . Guess because I have lived in a time without any of this . Got to watch funds very careful now . Pat
Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
I have to admit that last time I tried this was with a old Iphone 5 but in Northern BC where we did not have a signal the maps would not load. So in remote areas a Garmin is still your best bet, where a cell signal is not available. Right?
Yes, that's my thinking. I routinely use my Android phone's Google Maps directions to find unfamiliar locations in the city (using only spoken instructions, not the display) because I have the phone with me anyway and it is is synched by Bluetooth anyway (no digging out the GPS), but I would not depend on the phone exclusively in a remote area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
For kicks and giggles, on my way home from work, IPhone 6.

Turned of data, maps worked fine.

Turned off cell service, lost maps after 5 kilometers or so.

Since a lot of our trips have multiple days of no cell service I will continue to take our Nuvi with its bean bag dash mount. Cheers, Scott

Scott, Lori and BC bound Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I love maps made out of paper. They never go out of range.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Got lots of those too in color ! Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Old printed maps are cool, I get it. In fact my great grandpa was a cartographer and photographer. However, I just find digital maps so much easier to use when driving. Who wants to be disoriented with a gigantic folded map when your in the driver seat? Even if you don't have cell service, there are apps like topo and maps.me that will help guide you offline. I would definitely still carry a printed map if backpacking out in the boonies, but the solar chargers and battery packs for smart phones are also cheap.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #57

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
(snip) Forgot on my I-pad have a free grandfathered in magic jack which comes in handy calling Canada . But I think they have a 800 number now which is a free call too. Will look into something else for replacing Verizon . Pat
We have Magic Jack on our computer and I use it for most of my long distance calls as I hate using my cell phone for calls - hurts my hand to hold it for any length of time (tendonitis). At least with the phone we got for the Magic Jack I can tuck it under my shoulder if need be. Or shove a pillow between it and the shoulder to save the neck muscles. Cell phone is too small to do that with.

One big advantage to our old phones - you won't catch us playing games or checking email on 'em while out to dinner with others! Gawd, that drives me nuts. I recently told a young gal next to us to eat and put down her phone as she was screeching too loudly into her phone for us to enjoy our dinner. Yep, got yelled at and told to "shut up".
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
And the Trip Tiks from AAA - love those and love turning over a page as my journey is progressing.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We have Magic Jack on our computer and I use it for most of my long distance calls as I hate using my cell phone for calls - hurts my hand to hold it for any length of time (tendonitis). At least with the phone we got for the Magic Jack I can tuck it under my shoulder if need be. Or shove a pillow between it and the shoulder to save the neck muscles. Cell phone is too small to do that with.

One big advantage to our old phones - you won't catch us playing games or checking email on 'em while out to dinner with others! Gawd, that drives me nuts. I recently told a young gal next to us to eat and put down her phone as she was screeching too loudly into her phone for us to enjoy our dinner. Yep, got yelled at and told to "shut up".
Yep our pet peeve too . Our kids can't live without having the phone attached to their body somewhere . Constantly checking things on them when you try to have a conversation . Drivers too on the road on their phones not paying attention . Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Old printed maps are cool, I get it. In fact my great grandpa was a cartographer and photographer. However, I just find digital maps so much easier to use when driving. Who wants to be disoriented with a gigantic folded map when your in the driver seat? Even if you don't have cell service, there are apps like topo and maps.me that will help guide you offline. I would definitely still carry a printed map if backpacking out in the boonies, but the solar chargers and battery packs for smart phones are also cheap.
Some of those old maps are works of art . Pat