Rand McNally gps for RVs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Rand McNally gps for RVs

Anyone use the Rand McNally gps for RV's. Just interested in how well it works. You can view it on Amazon. Just punch in Rand McNally gps for RV's. I would post the link, but can't figure out how to do it. Thanks
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Cheap like borscht on amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/Rand-McNally-RV...mcnally+rv+gps

More sensible on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-7...mcnally+rv+gps
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
They also sell one, (Garmin) that has a wireless back up camera monitor. Amazon.com: Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera: Automotive. Sorry, couldn't resist. Scott

Scott, Lori and BC bound Fritz
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have and used one until I got a factory GPS in the truck. It had a lot of rv POI's including vets in your area and access roads limited by your total length towing. Anyone want to buy one used?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
goes to show Canadian dollar's value.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
While we're on the subject, Magellan makes a GPS that has a built-in dashcam-- Magellan RoadMate 6230-LM. It will also work with Magellan's wireless back-up camera. I saw these in Best Buy recently and today their website has them on sale for $155.99 (without the backup camera).

I might buy one of these before my next trip. Then maybe we can start a thread "What's Out Your Windshield?" Bet that would be interesting.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We purchased the Garmin RV (without the backup camera) for our trip around the US last fall. We really liked it. You enter your RV stats (height, length, weight, etc.) and will get warnings like 'sharp curve ahead, steep incline, narrow bridge, etc. You can choose an option that shows icons on the map for gas, groceries and more. It gives warnings of traffic problems ahead. Also, on freeways in cities a split screen comes up and tells you what lane to be in for your exit, ie '2nd lane from the left'. That feature was our favorite, gave us plenty of time to change lanes.

Happy Trails,
Kathie

RV GPS | Garmin RV 760LMT

PS Don't buy directly from Garmin, cheaper at places like Amazon.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We purchased the Garmin RV (without the backup camera) for our trip around the US last fall. We really liked it. You enter your RV stats (height, length, weight, etc.) and will get warnings like 'sharp curve ahead, steep incline, narrow bridge, etc. You can choose an option that shows icons on the map for gas, groceries and more. It gives warnings of traffic problems ahead. Also, on freeways in cities a split screen comes up and tells you what lane to be in for your exit, ie '2nd lane from the left'. That feature was our favorite, gave us plenty of time to change lanes.

Happy Trails,
Kathie
Our current Garmin has the same features regarding the exits and which lane you need to be in, etc. Our previous one didn't. Just love it! Dirk's been using the older one and he's thinking of upgrading.

I've thought about getting the RV version for when I use the trailer and I was wondering if it was worthwhile since we're not pulling big-ass trailers around the country. Wonder if that'll be a feature the in-board GPS will incorporate at some point. Wouldn't that be nice? I know the Tundra we're going to get has GPS.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I know the Tundra we're going to get has GPS.
My buddy bought 2015 Highlander and it has GPS.
The maps were already out of date in the area around his home.
The cost for a map update from Toyota was $250 for western US and Canada. It cost another $250 to update eastern US and Canada. Updates are only available once a year.

I paid $130 for my Tom Tom with lifetime map updates ( the device's lifetime, which isn't forever ). I often get email alerts that there is an updated map available.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My buddy bought 2015 Highlander and it has GPS.
The maps were already out of date in the area around his home.
The cost for a map update from Toyota was $250 for western US and Canada. It cost another $250 to update eastern US and Canada. Updates are only available once a year.

I paid $130 for my Tom Tom with lifetime map updates ( the device's lifetime, which isn't forever ). I often get email alerts that there is an updated map available.
Holy Cow! I was not aware of that! With our Garmin we got the lifetime updates and we get frequent emails about updates.

Um yeah, I think I'll stick with the freestanding GPS. Holy cow! Thanks for that info.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I were buying a Toyota, I would make free map updates a condition of the sale ( or at least try to ).
Old 03-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
I've thought about getting the RV version for when I use the trailer and I was wondering if it was worthwhile since we're not pulling big-ass trailers around the country.
That's what I was thinking. If I had a big Allegro motorhome (MSRP $440,000+) like the two I parked between last week, I'd have a GPS for RVs. But our trailers aren't very big and for the most part will go where our tow vehicles will go. I think that if the RV-specific GPS costs more, it probably isn't worth it for us.

BTW- for those of you who have Android devices with a GPS feature and external storage, there is a GPS navigation app called CoPilot that works pretty well. It has its own maps that are downloaded onto the device, so you don't need an Internet connection to use it. The maps take a couple of gigabytes though, hence the need for external storage. CoPilot has an RV mode but I don't think I've used it. I bought the app several years ago for $20. I bought it initially for a smartphone but now I use it on a Samsung tablet mounted on a floor mount in my pickup when traveling.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #13

Clarification: By "external storage" I meant an SDcard slot, so I should have said "removable storage".
Old 03-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Holy Cow! I was not aware of that! With our Garmin we got the lifetime updates and we get frequent emails about updates.

Um yeah, I think I'll stick with the freestanding GPS. Holy cow! Thanks for that info.
I just updated my Nissan and Silverado. Something like $160 each. Ripoff. Still doing it every 2 years. Nissan finally shows Ohio speed limits at 70 mph after 3 years of having changed.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
GPS on the Android phone with Google maps has been working fine for us. Used it on the Phoenix to Chilliwack trailer PU with no issues. No addl costs for app or updates.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
GPS on the Android phone with Google maps has been working fine for us. Used it on the Phoenix to Chilliwack trailer PU with no issues. No addl costs for app or updates.
I think you need cell service for Maps to work. I think you can save maps to make it work, but you have to do some special saving. Not so good in the boonies. Have not tried it.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #17

I don't know for sure, if you need cell, it worked the whole way up n back and we were on 93 in Eastern NV for quite a bit which doesn't get much Boonier den dat. Maybe someone has a more definitive answer, but I would think it runs off of embedded gps and satellite like any of the devices.
I did find this fairly recent article on maps that is interesting:
http://www.outsideonline.com/2038406...ely-seamlessly
Old 03-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
When I was at the Quartzsite rally everytime I mentioned WAZE to people (a couple of times) the people consistently had not heard of WAZE

It is free, and runs on smartphones.

We really like WAZE as it routes you around traffic..... and also gives you all sorts of user supplied info (verbally... it talks to you) such as "object on road ahead" or "car parked on shoulder ahead"

In areas on no cell service it does what all smart phones do.... relies on GPS tracking to know where you are.

Highly recommended.

here is an older but informative article about WAZE

Everything You Need to Know About Waze

One really doesnt need to do ANYTHING to use WAZE. You do not have to log in, or create an account, or anything. You can just start using it. Free

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

John,

I tried WAZE on a recent trip and had to shut it off. Mostly I think it was because I hadn't spent the time to learn the app, but it seemed more concerned with telling me where other WAZE members were. Since we were on I-10 heading to LA it kept chirping away about WAZE members so I canned it and went back to maps. I hear a number of people that recommend it so I probably need to spend more time with it and find out how to can the other WAZE people function.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
(snip) One really doesn't need to do ANYTHING to use WAZE.
Well, I would! I'd have to purchase a smartphone and pay the monthly bills! Which we're not in any great rush to do. I hardly ever use my cell phone. Heck, half the time it's run out of battery power after sitting in my purse unused for days on end. We still have clamshell, flip phones and pay $100 a year for a 1000 minutes, which hardly ever get used up.

Yeah, we're part of the one third or less of phone owners that don't have a smartphone.