Requesting 2017 Trip Planning Advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Requesting 2017 Trip Planning Advice

We are trying to sort out which of two 2017 trips to take first and would appreciate thoughts/suggestions. We have two 2017 trips in mind:

1. Vancouver Island extended trip - 3-4 weeks. 2. A meandering trip East along the southern BC route into Alberta/Saskatchewan eventual destination to Grasslands National Park taking about a month.

These trips would be on each side of the camping season (say May and September). During the busier summer months we hope to also squeeze in some camping but our hearts are set on these trips. This year our plans for these trips were shelved due to serious illnesses in our extended families. (That being said we were still out 35 camping nights in 2016 but these were shorter trips).

Grasslands is a huge draw for me (dark sky viewing + natural grasslands and wildlife photography). We don't want to be caught in snow/ice either on mountain passes or on the prairies. The BIG ISSUE for Liz is Mosquitoes and Grasslands has them - apparently quite a lot of them. Although, we will use repellant long clothing maybe those hat/net combos, Liz has sensitivity to both mosquitoes and repellant. We are hoping to spend at least a few days at Grasslands.

The primary question we are pondering is which trip will we take first? When will mosquitoes be the least bad in Southern Saskatchewan, and when is it the best time to visit Grasslands with its' gravel roads but beautiful grasslands and wildlife.

There are lots of variables to be considered. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated and perhaps this thread will be a useful read for other forum members

thanks Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps trying another Grasslands area that has less bugs, like Nebraska Sand Hills mixed grasslands | Ecoregions | WWF
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
Hi Larry
I do not have information on the grasslands; however, Vancouver Island is a wonderful trip and I am sure that you would enjoy it as well. By the sounds of it, both trips are very different.

There are so many things on the island to see. We live on southern Vancouver Island have traveled most of it and still so much more to see.

I am happy to provide some suggestions should you need them.
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We are trying to sort out which of two 2017 trips to take first and would appreciate thoughts/suggestions. We have two 2017 trips in mind:

1. Vancouver Island extended trip - 3-4 weeks. 2. A meandering trip East along the southern BC route into Alberta/Saskatchewan eventual destination to Grasslands National Park taking about a month.

These trips would be on each side of the camping season (say May and September). During the busier summer months we hope to also squeeze in some camping but our hearts are set on these trips. This year our plans for these trips were shelved due to serious illnesses in our extended families. (That being said we were still out 35 camping nights in 2016 but these were shorter trips).

Grasslands is a huge draw for me (dark sky viewing + natural grasslands and wildlife photography). We don't want to be caught in snow/ice either on mountain passes or on the prairies. The BIG ISSUE for Liz is Mosquitoes and Grasslands has them - apparently quite a lot of them. Although, we will use repellant long clothing maybe those hat/net combos, Liz has sensitivity to both mosquitoes and repellant. We are hoping to spend at least a few days at Grasslands.

The primary question we are pondering is which trip will we take first? When will mosquitoes be the least bad in Southern Saskatchewan, and when is it the best time to visit Grasslands with its' gravel roads but beautiful grasslands and wildlife.

There are lots of variables to be considered. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated and perhaps this thread will be a useful read for other forum members

thanks Larry
Hi Larry and Liz,

I can't advise you on your trips in your trailer. But, I would think a spring camping trip on Vancouver would be pretty nice. Years ago I sailed around Vancouver Island several times and enjoyed every minute .... What a jewel of the Pacific!!!!!

Maybe a little earlier trip in the fall would be special to observe the solar eclipse. A bit south of where you were thinking but maybe you could accomplish both trips in one.

AS for mosquitos ..... well I have been waiting for someone to invent a way to turn them into Bio-diesel. You would be a global hero.

Up here in Alaska, I find that a couple buck mosquito drumsticks baked in a basil / cream sauce makes a pretty good meal for a crowd.

Best of luck with your planning .... I'm watching your thread with a lot of interest - thank you.

Tom
Old 12-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hi Larry,

We stayed several nights at Grasslands in early August 2016. Wonderful and beautiful place, but yes Mosquitoes. As expected early morning and early evening the worst. Midday with some warmer temps. and wind allowed for hiking and exploration with minimal problems.

We enjoyed Grasslands and would not hesitate to return.

Jim and Sara
2012 Nissan Frontier
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Yes, Grasslands has mosquitos, but it also depends on the weather.

We were in Grasslands after a very damp spring - so wet that we found cacti under water. And we had heavy mosquitos. If late winter / early spring are dry, expect fewer mosquitos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020147.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	20787

Best memory of Grasslands and mosquito fighting: we were searching for teepee rings, in the heavy bug swarm. My thought was 'where would I set up a tent, to be dry and bug free'. My thought led me to a flat area, just at the edge of the drop into the coulee - sustained wind to keep the bugs away, and great drainage. And behold, teepee rings!

Note: we stayed at a B&B on that trip, as this was before we bought our first trailer (13' Trillium - for sale, btw). The thing we've enjoyed about trailering is our ability to change destination, around the weather, and yes, bugs.

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

thanks Larry
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have never been one to make a decision on where or when to travel based on the probability of encountering an insect. I go where I want to go, when I want to go there. I do bring necessary clothing (long pants with tight cuffs, long sleeved shirts, gloves, and even bug hats on some trips) and a good supply of an appropriate insect repellent. I have travelled in many insect infested back country locations, and although I have been surprised at times regarding the ferocity of the local insects, I have never not enjoyed a trip due to insects. I would suggest that you take the trip you have the greatest interest in, and just go prepared for the conditions.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would think May on Vancouver Island would be best bet weather wise, and Sept. in Sask.
I recall snow early one July in Regina.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Smile

I live in bug country in Northwestern Ontario. The best time to travel in this area, to avoid swarms of pin flies, horse flies, deer flies, mosquitoes, black flies, no-see-ums and wood ticks, is September. I have also been to Grasslands National Park in late August 2010. I really enjoyed my visit to Grasslands. Stayed in a tent and did not notice many insects. I am bothered by insects like anybody else but have a high tolerance due to living in an area that always has something on deck. I would bet that September is probably the best time to travel in Southern Saskatchewan.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Based on what people are posting it looks like we will be planning an early trip to Vancouver Island. We lived in Victoria when in our 20’s (in our pre-camping days). I’ll be posting some questions as we fine-tune those plans. I guess early May is about the earliest date. I’m hoping we won’t have to book sites if it is early.

It will be hard for me to wait till September. But it sounds like we will avoid springtime Saskatchewan mud and hopefully have less mosquitoes during the other end of the season.

I REALY, REALY want to see Grasslands (I may have been born out of time). Liz is interested in Grasslands but not nearly as interested as I am. We’ve negotiated travel to potential mosquito country in Grasslands (Trip Advisor has lots of bug comments) by including looking for some old family Saskatchewan places where our parents once lived some 60 - 70 years ago. Mosquitoes love Liz. So we’ll prepare for conditions.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Make sure the screen door is top notch, and bring an outside fan for the grasslands. And don't forget to stop at Waterton Park!!! It's beautiful!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 E21
If you're able to squeeze in a mini-trip in mid-August, you might consider northern Oregon on the 17th for this: Best places to watch 2017 eclipse | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Here in the foothills of California's northern Sierras, we have mosquitoes, but they are 'T-Ball' compared to what I remember from major league Canadian bugs when on a canoeing trip for a week across the border from Minnesota as a kiddo.

Someone told me to plan to head out into the Canadian boonies right after the first cold snap in September. Predictable? Usual clothing others mentioned here. Stoic/non-judgmental attitude toward the bugs? Small electric fan while sitting outside?

We've tried a Thermacell handheld mosquito and 'felt' like it has helped, but might not even touch Canadian airborne wildlife!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Dealing with bugs

In preparation for our summer tripping to include some "bug" country, we've added two things to our arsenal (Wendy HATES bugs, me they seem to leave alone!?):

1) On several recommendations, including from this forum, we've purchased a Clam Quick-Set Explorer screen shelter.

2) On several other outdoor forums' recommendations, we've purchased a Thermacell mosquito/tick repellant system.

I'll weigh in after using both on our trip as to their effectiveness.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
For dark sky you will want to be in Grasslands the last week of September. If that is too late then the end of August.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We used our Clam at Osoyoos and had little issue with bugs, seems to have helped.