Route and Campgrounds back to NC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Route and Campgrounds back to NC

Escape 21 ordered and build sheet completed, thanks for all the help. Orientation on August 26. Planning our trip back to NC and would like input on routes, campgrounds, and any other advice/opinions you are willing to share.
We are experienced tent campers with no RV camping experience. Have experience pulling trailers but not RV's. We much prefer non commercial/developed campgrounds like NF and NP but for the first several nights we are leaning towards "easy" campgrounds until we get used to our new Escape. Like many we are planning to stay a couple of nights in the Lyndon KOA campground to be close to Chilliwack while we are familiarizing ourselves with the trailer. From there we are leaning towards a northern route with stops in Spokane area, Glacier area, north or south Dakota area, etc.
Questions:
How easy a drive with the 21 is it from Lyndon to Spokane if we take Hwy 20 or 2 and don't go through Seattle? Campground recommendations in Spokane area?
We will be in Montana for Labor Day Weekend, (I know not the best timing but oh well). There is some availability for the commercial campgrounds outside of Glacier if we reserve soon. Any recommendations? Plan on staying there until after Labor Day and then heading east. Campground recommendations in South Dakota? Might consider North Dakota but South will head us towards home.
Thanks for any information/opinions!
Buddy and Suzanne
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Escape 21 ordered and build sheet completed, thanks for all the help. Orientation on August 26. Planning our trip back to NC and would like input on routes, campgrounds, and any other advice/opinions you are willing to share.
We are experienced tent campers with no RV camping experience. Have experience pulling trailers but not RV's. We much prefer non commercial/developed campgrounds like NF and NP but for the first several nights we are leaning towards "easy" campgrounds until we get used to our new Escape. Like many we are planning to stay a couple of nights in the Lyndon KOA campground to be close to Chilliwack while we are familiarizing ourselves with the trailer. From there we are leaning towards a northern route with stops in Spokane area, Glacier area, north or south Dakota area, etc.
Questions:
How easy a drive with the 21 is it from Lyndon to Spokane if we take Hwy 20 or 2 and don't go through Seattle? Campground recommendations in Spokane area?
We will be in Montana for Labor Day Weekend, (I know not the best timing but oh well). There is some availability for the commercial campgrounds outside of Glacier if we reserve soon. Any recommendations? Plan on staying there until after Labor Day and then heading east. Campground recommendations in South Dakota? Might consider North Dakota but South will head us towards home.
Thanks for any information/opinions!
Buddy and Suzanne
A friend of mine in Washington state recommended that instead of going through Seattle head over to Winthrop and then over past the Grand Coulee dam then Spokane. Highway 20 for sure. My friend pulls a Keystone Montana so an Escape should be no issue. We're doing that route on the way up. Done them both North and South Dakota, definitely South Dakota. After Billings MT on I90 get off at the Little Big Horn Battlefield and take 212 over to Belle Fourche. Then catch I90 at Spearfish. I owned property up in south central Montana for about 20 years and lived there for 15. Oh if you haven't been there drop down to Yellowstone.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
MT. Rushmore is very impressive. Custer State park is near there, and since it'll be after Labor Day, the crowds should be dissipating.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
There is some availability for the commercial campgrounds outside of Glacier if we reserve soon. Any recommendations? Plan on staying there until after Labor Day and then heading east.
The NPS campgrounds in Glacier tend to fill every day, you usually have to get there in the morning to have a chance at a site. On the east side Many Glacier and Two Medicine are both gorgeous areas and have nice campgrounds. On the west side Apgar and Avalanche are both heavily wooded campgrounds.

If you can't get a site in the park, on the east side of Glacier in Saint Mary check out Johnson's of Saint Mary campground. They have full hookup sites all in a row, but up on a hillside above that area they have a wonderful meadow with water and electric sites, ask about it if you call. It's one of our favorite spots, quiet and secluded (this old photo is from that spot). On the west side, our favorite commercial campground is Moose Creek RV, formerly SanSuzEd. It's not bad for a commercial RV campground, older and heavily wooded, tends not to get so many big motorhomes and is close to the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Brighty 03.jpg  
Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Buddy and Suzanne

I picked up our new to us 5.0TA in Spokane then spent two nights just south of Kalispell at Big Arm campground at Flathead Lake State Park. I was right on beach with this great view towards Glacier. I spent a lot of time just sitting in that chair.
Attached Thumbnails
74D18182-8A04-4863-877E-4965170BB210.jpg   4E871ECB-97EE-4D2A-9AA8-71BDA719FA4D.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Looks peaceful.....
Old 05-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Another option if you are willing to forgo the northern route. We also spent the 1st night at Lyndon KOA. 2nd Night was at Deception Pass State Park on Whidbey Island (Gorgeous!). Then for the most exciting part: Take the ferry from Fort Casey to Port Townshend. You can then drive down to the Washington / Oregon coast via 101 all while missing Seattle traffic. Camp along the coast for as much time as you have and then head back east. Loved the Washington/Oregon coast. Definitely want to return when I'm no longer a wage slave. Cape Disappointment State Park, Cannon Beach, Nehalem Bay State Park. Sigh.....

We ended up coming back on I84 through The Dalles, Boise etc.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks peaceful.....
Yes Jim it was lovely and peaceful, the second night (early May 2018) there was only one other trailer in the whole campground, a Scamp! Your trip home wasn't peaceful, lucky you found that hiding spot between semis.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 foot
Check this site out.. great free sites in amazing locations

http://portal.referralcandy.com/XBKV...nk_email_click
Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #10

Trailer: escape 19
Adeline: Have you used Harvest Hosts? We are thinking of joining for our trip back to Florida from Chilliwack.
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
jnfrombigt, Thanks we are definitely leaning towards Hwy 20 and your SD route also. We have been to Yellowstone and Tetons, just didn't make it up to Glacier.
h20wmn, Thanks we have been to Mr Rushmore and agree it is awe inspring.
davidmurphy02, Thanks we may end up using a couple of your suggestions around Glacier.
emers382, Thanks for your suggestion and photos. Suzanne is afraid if I get my chair set up like you had I won't want to go anywhere else
huskersteffy, Thanks that is a great route. We have been down the Washington Oregon and Ca coasts before and hope to do it one more time with the Escape, just won't be this time.
adeline, Thanks for the link. We also would like to hear more about your Harvest Host experiences.
stevemcn, Steve if you find our more about the Harvest Host site we would appreciate it if you would share it with us. We are considering using Boondockers welcome. We have friends who have had great experiences with it.

Thanks again, to everybody. Great ideas for our trip home.
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote