Route from Sea-Tac to Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Route from Sea-Tac to Chilliwack

We're finally making our visit to ETI on 10/28 and 10/29. Arriving Seattle at 10:30 a.m. on Friday. Any suggestions on the route from the airport to Chilliwack on Friday or the return to downtown Seattle on Saturday afternoon? Also any Seattle tourist suggestions - we're there until Wednesday afternoon. Staying in Pioneer Square.
We ended up having to reschedule this trip from last year, so I still have the recommendations from a post I made then. Just trying to stay current.
Thanks in advance!
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
At 10:30 AM on Friday you should be able to get into a car and just shoot up I5 until you see the signs for the Sumas crossing. There shouldn't be a lot of traffic at that time. Returning Saturday should not be bad, either.

Tourist suggestions- Pike Place Market. Underground Seattle. If you still have a car- Museum of Flight. Take a ferry to Bremerton and back (don't take the car.) If it is clear and you have no fear of heights, the Space Needle is great.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
One thing that could booger up traffic are any sporting events, but since I don't follow sports I could not tell you what's happening that weekend. Check the schedule for the Seahawks and UW Huskies. I think we're through with marathons and baseball for the year.

Snoqualmie Falls is always fun to see. Higher than Niagara Falls!

If you're staying in Pioneer Square, you're near one of my favorite book stores - Seattle Mystery Bookshop, on Cherry Street, between 1st and 2nd streets. Very knowledgeable staff with a large selection of mystery (duh!) and suspense/thrillers. I've been a customer since the early 90's.

Seattle Mystery Bookshop | For Mystery Lovers Who Know What They Want, And For Those Who Haven't A Clue.

But, yeah, the drive from SeaTac (I'll wave when you drive by!) is rather easy. And maybe you'll see the snow geese by Mt Vernon! Always cool to see them in the fields when you drive by.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
PS, make sure your rental car is able to cross the border. Probably shouldn't be a problem since so many folks cross all the time, but best to double check ahead of time. I haven't rented a car in years, but I remember some had restrictions on that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I'll put a second vote on the Underground Seattle tour! It's not too be missed!!!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If you like Greek food, don't miss Mr. D's in the Pikes Street market. It is located across the street from the fish market in a little triangle. The address is 1518 Pike Pl. I think the little triangle I am talking about is at the intersection of Pine St. and Pike Place which is the street that the market is on. It is a take out food place with the best Gyro's I have ever eaten.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Don't know if you have made car arrangements yet, but If you are staying downtown I would rent the car from downtown and take the light rail from the airport to downtown. Parking in Seattle can be a bear and expensive. If you rent the car downtown you can just rent it by the day and return it at night to the rental place. The light rail is great, we have taken it to downtown from the airport when we had a long layover at SeaTac. Seattle is really easy to get around in, just make sure your luggage has wheels. We stay at the Red Lion downtown when we stay downtown and just walk from the light rail station.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Great recommendations - thank you!
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Chuck, I will be doing same trip soon. I hope you will be posting news/info when able regarding 2017 5.0TA for the rest of us waiting!

Have a safe fun trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
We're finally making our visit to ETI on 10/28 and 10/29. Arriving Seattle at 10:30 a.m. on Friday. Any suggestions on the route from the airport to Chilliwack on Friday or the return to downtown Seattle on Saturday afternoon? Also any Seattle tourist suggestions - we're there until Wednesday afternoon. Staying in Pioneer Square.
We ended up having to reschedule this trip from last year, so I still have the recommendations from a post I made then. Just trying to stay current.
Thanks in advance!
Chuck
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
If you are driving through N/B, how early to you have to hit, say, Tacoma, to successfully exit the Seattle traffic at the north end? i.e. is 6:00 A.M. good enough?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
If you are driving through N/B, how early to you have to hit, say, Tacoma, to successfully exit the Seattle traffic at the north end? i.e. is 6:00 A.M. good enough?
No. You'll hit Seattle around 7 and get in the middle of traffic. Well, I should say it depends somewhat on weather and the day of the week, but it takes about 30 minutes from S. Tacoma to Federal Way on clear freeways, so you might luck out. I really hate Seattle traffic. You can get Seattle traffic estimates here: 95% Reliable Travel Times

As you come in to Seattle you'll see the sign for 405 right about where the SeaTac airport sign is, and it will tell you travel times to Seattle and Bellevue. If they are equal, or a few minutes apart, either works, but if one is much longer take the other one. With clear sailing they will be within a minute or two of each other.

If you are coming from the south and don't have to stop in Tacoma, consider going up 101 to Port Townsend, taking the ferry there, and continuing on 20 to Burlington where you can pick up I5 again. It misses all the cities (Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, and Everett). Plus the ferry takes reservations.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #12

Thanks, Bobbie.
The WS DOT tools give us something to go on.
On our trip to pick our Escape, we guessed (correctly) about 405, and missed some of the mess. On our way back we took the Coupeville ferry, which was great. The cost, w/trailer, wasn't: about $45-50 as I recall. We may do that, though. We'll be coming from Longview, short stop in Mt. Vernon to visit my old boss (their new Fire Chief), then on to the magnificent Hwy 20 east.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

Yeah, I hear you about the ferry cost, and it only goes up. For me it is only half again as much as taking the Mukilteo ferry so I factor it in to using the trailer. (Though it's what I'll miss most about the Campster, which went very cheaply!) But it does add cost especially with bigger RVs and trailers.

If you are going through Mt. Vernon you'll want to stick to 5 with or without the 405 bypass (it used to be a bypass, anyway!) But traffic into Everett is a hassle in the morning, too, so missing traffic altogether is the best bet, by hitting Olympia after 8 am. If you go to dot.wa.gov and look at the Seattle traffic maps you'll figure out where and when the worst spots are.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I have a young friend with a restaurant in Pioneer Square. "Manu's Bodega." His specialty is Dominican food. Alas, it's mostly just a lunch place, and I don't think he does Saturdays.. But if you need an exceptional, light lunch before you head out to Chilliwack... It's at 100 Prefontaine Pl S. Tell him I sent ya!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #15

I just looked at traffic (9 am Friday) and there were still two slow spots NB (one each on 405 and 5) but overall was looking good by 9.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
If you are into cars check out The LeMay Collection- America's Car Museum in
Tacoma. 30-40 minutes south of Seattle. About 20 minutes from the airport.

https://www.americascarmuseum.org/?g...FU9afgodWzYMnA
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I just looked at traffic (9 am Friday) and there were still two slow spots NB (one each on 405 and 5) but overall was looking good by 9.
Thanks for the report. We have until next spring, so I'll start doing periodic checks. Maybe, we can just 'follow' the rush NB, as long as we're through it before lunch break. (Have to check that, too.)
Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
If you are into cars check out The LeMay Collection- America's Car Museum in
Tacoma. 30-40 minutes south of Seattle. About 20 minutes from the airport.

https://www.americascarmuseum.org/?g...FU9afgodWzYMnA
plus, they have a slot car track from the late 60's you can play with!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
plus, they have a slot car track from the late 60's you can play with!
I still have my slot car, a ford GT replica
Old 11-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #20

Trailer: August 2017 17b
https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

A magical place!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote