Route input requested - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Thanks for all the input. Several points made to consider. The northern route is 200+ miles longer, but perhaps worth it given that I will likely not be up there again real soon. Not a real good reason, but my better half wants to make a return visit to Betty's Pies, which would put us on the north side anyway.
Another question I would ask.....
I haven't been to Canada since I lived in NH. Used to go all the time. That was before 9/11. Just how much of a hassle is it to cross the border (either way) now, especially pulling a trailer?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It's a new day. Have your passport ready.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hi Carl: can only give you my experience. We had purchased our Escape in Winnepeg a year ago and it was already snowing north of Lake Superior, so we returned home through northern Michigan. We were concerned about crossing the boarder with a trailer with no plates, and ownership only partially transferred. We entered the US from Manitoba with no problems aside from showing proper identification, and returned to Ontario through Port Huron and again needed identification and had to produce our travel permit for the Escape. Could not have been easier!

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #24

Trailer: sold it
We take our trailer over the US border a couple of times each year and haven't had any problems. We, being Canadian, are going the "other way" compared to you. We just have passports. They have inspected our trailer on several occassions - maybe half the times we've crossed - but there's never been a problem other than the brief delay. We suspect that they like the Escape and want to see the inside. Once the border guard was just about to send us through and an agricultural inspector ran out to the booth and told the guy he wanted to check out the trailer. We didn't have any fresh food at all but he spent 5 minutes in the trailer - no questions or anything.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape
Based on OP original question the choices are to go from the Black Hills to Detroit (presumably on I_90 via Chicago) or veer north to Duluth and along the north shore of Lake Superior. Southern Wisconsin offers quite a lot, the Driftless area, Frank Lloyd Wright, small towns. But I would recommend the northern route without question. The Canadian Shield landscape goes on and on, so take the time to stop along the way.

If a third choice is to go to Duluth, then through the Michigan UP to Sault St. Marie, that is a toss up. Let us know how you fared and what you found.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I thought it was this thread that the question was asked, but maybe another.

Anyways, the campsite does have rentals of RVs available:
https://www.campingosoyoos.com/camps...abins/rv-days/
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
You could stay north a little more and take in the Trans-Canada or Yellowhead hi-way. Closer to the US the Crownest pass will take you to Waterton National park which is connected to Glacier
Lots of great places to see up here too
Maybe a zig zag route
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I thought it was this thread that the question was asked, but maybe another.

Anyways, the campsite does have rentals of RVs available:
https://www.campingosoyoos.com/camps...abins/rv-days/
Maybe you were thinking of Rally in May - motel. You found the answer (right on the campground website) to the rental source that I mentioned in post #26 of that thread. Good find!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote