Route recommendations- new trailer! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
We just spent three weeks, traveling from CA to South Dakota and back and I've negligently failed to complete our "trip report"; however, maybe I can add a little to the conversation. (Since we had two grandsons with us, we opted for campgrounds that were developed; hence, KOAs were in our plans.) We picked up 90 in Butte (pretty area) and headed to Hardin where we spent two nights. Do visit the Custer National Battlefield but don't take the Crow-led tour ... just drive the access road yourself after listening to the ranger talk (a must). We looked at 212 to SD; however, opted for 90 as we weren't sure about gas stations, etc. Hwy 90 is miles and miles of nothingness, punctuated by clusters of trees now and then. Stayed in the Rapid City KOA due to its proximity to everything and, for that, it worked just fine; however, there are a number of nicer campgrounds to the south (the Custer/Mt Rushmore KOA and definitely the campgrounds within Custer State Park ... Grace Coolidge. etc.). I would suggest not taking the trailer into Mt. Rushmore itself -- it was very crowded when we were there and those with trailers and large RVs weren't having much fun. And do plan a drive through the Bandlands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 Custer Battlefield.jpg (325.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 17 Rapid City KOA Camping.jpg (218.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 31 Waiting in Line.jpg (148.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 52 Custer State Park.jpg (308.1 KB, 14 views)

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Paul, re: dining Chilliwack

Best to drive into old town than stay near the malls for a chance at decent food. Depending on your needs of course. I did have one excellent meal at the BW but it was a winery promotion special and not normal menu.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Trailer: 19' Escape- 2017 model
The particulars and advice regarding places to stay and routes are very helpful.

CAdreamin and Fudge brownie, thanks so much for your input. You gave me some great advice, route suggestions, and helpful hints for our trip. I appreciate that so much! Love the photos as well.

I will try to keep a log and photos of our trip, and post it either along the way or when we get back.

I'm so excited about this! Happy to join the Escape family, and look forward to meeting some of you happy campers along the way...
Thanks again!

Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote