Route recommendations- new trailer! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Route recommendations- new trailer!

I need your assistance in route planning for my drive from Western Chicago to Seattle. I'm stopping in that area first to see family, then heading up to Chilliwack to pick up our new 19' baby!

I'm looking for a direct, safe route with roadside amenities and good hotels. Can anyone offer any insight or experience?
Are there any towns ( and routes) along the way to avoid?

Are there any particular portions with scary heights, difficult passes, or hairpin turns?

For the maiden trip back home, DH and I desire to stop at a few places along the way. One being Yellowstone, the other is Mount Rushmore. We are strapped for time, but may be able to fit in one more. Any suggestions as to a must-see?

Towing the trailer back home, we don't want to put too much stress on our Chevy traverse V-6. So I'd like to avoid too many steep mountainous areas. So, are there any better routes along these lines?
Thanx!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I-90 would be your best bet. Highest elevation is only 6329 feet at Homestake Pass in Montana. Plenty of decent towns with hotels along the way too.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

6000' isn't too bad...I have a terrible fear of heights.
So, 90 is pretty much the way to go, and it does seem to be the most direct.
Thanx!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 1721
The app inRoute will show you the elevation, road curviness, temperatures, humidity, precipitation, wind speed, distance, and approximate drive time of any route you choose. I've used it on an iPad and it works well and allowed me to alter my route based off factors I want to avoid.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Congratulations on the purchase of your Escape. You will be much safer once you leave Chicago. Don't forget to stop off in the Canadian Rocky Mountains on the way to or back from Chilliwack.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I-90 would be your best bet. Highest elevation is only 6329 feet at Homestake Pass in Montana. Plenty of decent towns with hotels along the way too.
I'll second that recommendation.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We towed our 19 with the Gmc version, the Acadia. Some of the climbs were challenging, but we took our time and the V6 handled it well. For the 7200 miles towed, we averaged over 15 MPG.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Depends on the time of year! 90 to 80 and roads north to SD and Wyoming may be seasonal! We drove 80 to 90 west to east...the only iffy was Elk Mountain in Wyoming! We waited for the weather to clear and made a bee line! Wyoming can be very windy!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Great info and I love the comments!

Will be sure to see the best Canada has to offer as well.
The app is a wonderful idea! It sounds exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks so much, everyone!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Some GPS programs and Google maps will route you on Highway 212 outside of Rapid City SD, Belle Fourche to be exact. This is a two lane shortcut that traverses about 250 miles and saves up to an hour. It is a well travelled route but there are no services on the entire route. It is necessary to fill in Belle Fourche for the trip to Crow Agency.

I have only travelled this route, never the traditional I-90 brain freeze, so I do not have a comparison. Highway 212 is in good condition, has limited hills, good sight lines and used to have a Montana speed limit of wide open. I believe it has since been reduced to 75. As with any road in this area it can be closed due to weather.

If you like to travel the "Blue Roads", this is a good opportunity.

We have stayed in Wall SD and Deer Lodge MT, both have limited lodging choices. Your mileage may vary but we took three full days to make the trip. It did not make sense to do it in 2 1/2 and then sit around in the hotel in Chilliwack. I think the most frustrating thing was having to find and eat at restaurants that fit our criteria. Not a problem on the return trip.

We did take a second route change, taking US 2 out of Wenatchee, through Leavenworth and then over Stevens Pass. Another "blue road", more scenic but two lanes, steeper grades and a higher elevation than I-90 and Snoqualmie Pass. I found the Hampton Inn, several blocks from the standard Best Western, to be modern, clean and priced the same as. Finding a meal in the evening was a challenge as the area is primarily industrial.

For a grocery pickup after the Sumas transfer we travelled the 12 miles to Lynden and an excellent Safeway store.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We just spent three weeks, traveling from CA to South Dakota and back and I've negligently failed to complete our "trip report"; however, maybe I can add a little to the conversation. (Since we had two grandsons with us, we opted for campgrounds that were developed; hence, KOAs were in our plans.) We picked up 90 in Butte (pretty area) and headed to Hardin where we spent two nights. Do visit the Custer National Battlefield but don't take the Crow-led tour ... just drive the access road yourself after listening to the ranger talk (a must). We looked at 212 to SD; however, opted for 90 as we weren't sure about gas stations, etc. Hwy 90 is miles and miles of nothingness, punctuated by clusters of trees now and then. Stayed in the Rapid City KOA due to its proximity to everything and, for that, it worked just fine; however, there are a number of nicer campgrounds to the south (the Custer/Mt Rushmore KOA and definitely the campgrounds within Custer State Park ... Grace Coolidge. etc.). I would suggest not taking the trailer into Mt. Rushmore itself -- it was very crowded when we were there and those with trailers and large RVs weren't having much fun. And do plan a drive through the Bandlands.
Attached Thumbnails
11 Custer Battlefield.jpg   17 Rapid City KOA Camping.jpg   31 Waiting in Line.jpg   52 Custer State Park.jpg  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Paul, re: dining Chilliwack

Best to drive into old town than stay near the malls for a chance at decent food. Depending on your needs of course. I did have one excellent meal at the BW but it was a winery promotion special and not normal menu.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #13

The particulars and advice regarding places to stay and routes are very helpful.

CAdreamin and Fudge brownie, thanks so much for your input. You gave me some great advice, route suggestions, and helpful hints for our trip. I appreciate that so much! Love the photos as well.

I will try to keep a log and photos of our trip, and post it either along the way or when we get back.

I'm so excited about this! Happy to join the Escape family, and look forward to meeting some of you happy campers along the way...
Thanks again!