Rt. North from Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
Rt. North from Chilliwack

We will be traveling north from Chilliwack after pick up. Thought we'd avoid the Fraser River Valley as this will be our first experience towing. However, we'd like to stop in Lillooet to visit a winery on the way to our first stop in Clinton. We'll be traveling thru in late June. Are we nuts to take route 1 to Lytton, then route 12 to Lillooet? Our copy of the Milepost suggests that route 1 north thru the Fraser River Valley can be a tough stretch of road. I'd like to hear about other's experiences there. We'll be towing an Escape 21.

Thanks,
Marv
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sometimes getting information before an event helps make good decisions. But sometimes I wonder if the person giving the advice has ever actually done the deed. Honestly, I've driven all those routes in both good and bad, read "horrid" conditions and in June weather is a non-issue. To be blunt, if a persons going to tow a trailer on public highways they should be capable of towing the Fraser canyon route. It's a little more curvy but scenic. Whether to go the Coq., Duffy Lake, or the Fraser Canyon, the decision is never about how difficult the road is compared to other routes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanks Ron. Thats the answer I was looking for.

Marv
Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I view your comment that this is your first experience towing as the most salient detail.

We picked up our baby the fall of 2014 but had taken some towing lessons at the Valley Driving School next door to ETI. We drove the Coquihall Summit in the dark and rain on our first trip without incident. Early in our towing career on another less hilly trip we did however overheat our truck brakes due to not fully understanding the electronic brake control settings (our setting wasn’t aggressive enough.

Since then but still fairly new to towing we ran the Fraser Canyon and then on up the #12 into Lilloet. On the run to Lilloet we experienced some single lane road, lots of twists and turns and hills, some rental RVs with whom we had to share the road who in our view were driving without due care and attention of others on the road. (Of course u find those drivers everywhere. Further we were under impressed with Lilloet when we got there. Nice place for a lunch. Of course we just blew threw on our way east.

My wife says she wouldn’t advise the #12 to Lilloet as a first trip for an inexperienced driver.

I tend to agree with a lot of what Ron wrote. However, I also tend to ere on the cautious side in these matters

Larry

Added. Sometimes I’ve used google earth/maps to get a road’s eye view and spot check areas on the route I intend to run
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
DriveBC is a good resource for highway conditions. Don't let this cam scare you off. Take a look at Highway 1 through Fraser Canyon cams.
DriveBC Southern Interior - Hwy 99 (Lillooet to Cache Creek) Cams
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.46.58 AM.png  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I agree with Glenn.

From my POV, the Fr Canyon and then to Cache Creek shouldn’t scare you off.
However, the #12 to Lillooet seems like a different beast to me at least.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I don't know what you would call a "tough stretch of road" but I certainly wouldn't apply that to the routes mentioned. Both the #12 and the #1 are beautiful scenic drives. Can you go "pedal to the metal"? No. Just take your time and enjoy the view. You might just want to "drive it" using Google maps to get an idea of how the road is. Also if you've never pulled a trailer before I highly recommend you get those lessons, they'll give you some good tips and you'll feel more confident.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I don't know if I would want to do the Lytton to Lillooet highway first time towing--I don't like it with just the car---can be strange around the slide area and narrow...
The Fraser Canyon Highway is just fine...What winery is in Lillooet?

And do you know people in Clinton? My mom lives there and we have a place near there...
Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Our original routing was to Kamloops, Cache Creek and Clinton (we're heading to Fairbanks). The Ft. Berens winery in Lillooet was "more on the way" than others well east of there. However, after monitoring the DriveBC for route 99 (thanks gbaglo for the reference), we've elected to nix that stretch. We'll probably try the route 1 to route 97 instead. The Clinton connection was simply a relatively short mileage first stop (getting our feet on the ground - so to speak).

For those concerned about our "inexperience", I've towed a variety of things in the past. Just not a "home on wheels". We appreciate all the advice from those who've weighted in. Thats why we love this forum.

Marv
Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkshftr View Post
Our original routing was to Kamloops, Cache Creek and Clinton (we're heading to Fairbanks). The Ft. Berens winery in Lillooet was "more on the way" than others well east of there. However, after monitoring the DriveBC for route 99 (thanks gbaglo for the reference), we've elected to nix that stretch. We'll probably try the route 1 to route 97 instead. The Clinton connection was simply a relatively short mileage first stop (getting our feet on the ground - so to speak).

For those concerned about our "inexperience", I've towed a variety of things in the past. Just not a "home on wheels". We appreciate all the advice from those who've weighted in. Thats why we love this forum.

Marv
Hi: Stkshftr... Will we be seeing your shiny new Escape, and you too, at Niagara Wine Escape 2018? Love to meet you there. Lots of neophyte and experienced owners will be camping along the Niagara River Sept. 14-16th. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Niagara Wine Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Stkshftr... Will we be seeing your shiny new Escape, and you too, at Niagara Wine Escape 2018? Love to meet you there. Lots of neophyte and experienced owners will be camping along the Niagara River Sept. 14-16th. Alf
Hi Alf,
Looking forward to this rally. Spent a little time setting my hitch up for the 2018 Highlander and weighing my tongue. It’s gained some weight because of all the exercise it gets. Let’s have an oldest and youngest camper contest. Of course I have a ringer.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How about guess your own tongue weight contest......you are precluded from entering....
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf,
Looking forward to this rally. Spent a little time setting my hitch up for the 2018 Highlander and weighing my tongue. It’s gained some weight because of all the exercise it gets. Let’s have an oldest and youngest camper contest. Of course I have a ringer.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... No fair... entering a "Ringer". My "Spare" has some new bulges, in the side walls, after our trip west.
Bet you my pin wt. is more than your tongue wt. Alf
Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Why Guess?

There are things that can be manipulated in short periods of time. I can never get my tongue weight up to you’re tongue weight. So...... how about just a big boy gets on a Sherline scale contest? Before we go to Betty’s but after the potluck? I can’t manipulate that weight, I know, i’ve been seeing the same numbers for years. We will get a piece of 2x12 and balance it on top of the rounded Sherline top. Ought to be good for at least one broken bone. It’s a weighty issue.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
2BAAAA06-7153-45F9-A127-3D00B730D0A3.jpg  
Old 06-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If I make it there, I might be "youngest". Mine will be 4 months old. Hope it works out!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #16

Wow, those who've said that threads here can turn on a dime was right on! I thought we were talking about routing? No problem.

To those who've asked, we're undecided on the Niagara event just yet. We don't know exactly when we'll be getting back from Alaska (or how tired we might be). Besides, we attended the rally last year as walk about guests (Fred and Dora helped us make our decision on the 21). Many there would probably recognize us as one of us sports a handle bar mustache (thankfully not my wife). So we'll see. It would be good to be able to attach faces to names. The group here sounds like a great bunch.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkshftr View Post
Wow, those who've said that threads here can turn on a dime was right on! I thought we were talking about routing? No problem.

To those who've asked, we're undecided on the Niagara event just yet. We don't know exactly when we'll be getting back from Alaska (or how tired we might be). Besides, we attended the rally last year as walk about guests (Fred and Dora helped us make our decision on the 21). Many there would probably recognize us as one of us sports a handle bar mustache (thankfully not my wife). So we'll see. It would be good to be able to attach faces to names. The group here sounds like a great bunch.
Hi: Stkshftr... On the forum there's no "Steering committee". Handle bar mustaches accepted and all routes lead to "Camping".
After the ETI rally we headed east then south into the "Montana mud". Hwy # 2 was a wash out east of Shelby Mont. Still trying to peel it off "Escape Hatch II". Alf