September to Fairbanks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Old 09-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #11
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My concern if caught in an early snowstorm would not be just tow vehicle traction, but trailer tire traction. It doesn't matter that the tug can pull and turn if the trailer is swinging around like a pendulum..
That would be my concern also. It's not the getting up there part but how long the visit is and how much into Oct. the return date would be. Would definitely have to be prepared to sit out some untimely snow dumps and road clearing.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #12
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 to be pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
You may want to have a look at this You Tube video posted br Loloho.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Trailer: 2011 casita sd
By quick visit I meant I would only spend 5 or six days visiting my daughter. I also don't intend to race up an back. Chains would be used on both truck and trailer( cables chains on the trailer). Aekholm, thanks for the road info and always, an eye on the sky.
Starbrightsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I wouldn't do it. Fairbanks is a long trip north and you should expect overnight freezing temps, black ice and snow any time particularly from Dease Lake north. It is a very long haul, unpredictable weather, do it when the days are getting longer, temperatures are warmer and you can enjoy yourself and your new trailer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Heck, if you're prepared to do a full truck and trailer chain up then you've put yourself in a different comfort level zone than most folks. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
For the last decade September and the first half of October is my favorite time to camp in Alaska and the Yukon. Most of the crowds are gone and the fall colors are spectacular, especially on those bluebird days with termination dust (snow) in the mountains.

The biggest challenge will be finding open campgrounds, it seems that the majority of them close and shut the gates after mid September. Check out the websites for Yukon Provincial parks, State of Alaska DNR, BLM. They all keep places open along the ALCAN and Cassiar.

We picked up our trailer after Labor Day and spent a leisurely two weeks coming home to Alaska and had a wonderful time. I would bring a small generator along for backup, you may be using your heater nightly and if you have a week of rain your solar may not be able to keep up, if you end up boon docking. As a bonus you get to visit three hot springs, Chena in Fairbanks, Takahini in Whitehorse and Laird along the ALCAN.

When I came to Alaska in the '80s Halloween meant snow, but thanks to climate change, we usually don't see snow until Thanksgiving. Have a great trip! Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

Scott and Lori
Northern Light
2014 5.0 TA
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote