September to Fairbanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
September to Fairbanks

So my wife and I are picking up a new escape in mid September and were wondering about a quick visit to see our daughter in Fairbanks. Our TV is 4WD and we have chains. My wife is questioning the wisdom of a trip north this late in the year. I know if you are from Texas you will think I'm nuts. I want to know what the folks from British Columbia think.
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What does your daughter say, she probably knows the weather in Fairbanks better than anyone else.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Won't be a quick trip, by road.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

She says go for it and I know the weather in Fairbanks. It's the weather between Fairbanks and Seattle/Tacoma that I wonder about.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've towed my trailer to Fairbanks but in the summer. I'd say that it's doable but the cost in comfort level is debatable given your timing. By the time you get your trailer, get up to Fairbanks, visit and are ready to return the weather may have turned enough that it would be a hard slog back.

Of course you could also bail out most of the driving back by taking the ferry. Expensive but a viable alternative.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Steve
We lived in northern BC and in mid September you would normally be ok for another month or so (Prince George and north).
That said you can get a freak snow storm any time of the year. We always went by the fact that it wouldn't stay normally before November. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Doug
Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0
My wife and I made the trip in September a few years back and quite enjoyed ourselves. It rained a lot that year but when the sun came out it was beautiful. We took the northern route to Fairbanks from the border and went south afterwards to Skagway and then back east. We switched to the ferry from Seward to Valdes both to see the scenery and to escape the badly frost heaved highway. I don't know if it has improved since then.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
So my wife and I are picking up a new escape in mid September and were wondering about a quick visit to see our daughter in Fairbanks. Our TV is 4WD and we have chains. My wife is questioning the wisdom of a trip north this late in the year. I know if you are from Texas you will think I'm nuts. I want to know what the folks from British Columbia think.
Steve
Hi: Starbrightsteve... Remember you'll be in the USA and they always blame the "Cold fronts" coming down from Canada!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013
The road between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek Yukonis rough with several construction area. Number of commercial camp grounds will closed for the season. Its a bout 12+ hours driving to Fairbanks. If go keep one eye on the weather.
Al E Whitehorse Yukon
aekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
What is that - two days through B.C. plus two days through Yukon and Alaska... each way, allowing for an enjoyable pace? Sounds like a spectacular trip, but it would be good to have a substantial allowance for weather-related travel delays. The term "quick visit" doesn't jump to mind.

My concern if caught in an early snowstorm would not be just tow vehicle traction, but trailer tire traction. It doesn't matter that the tug can pull and turn if the trailer is swinging around like a pendulum. I think if the road condition is such that chains have to go on the tug, the trailer doesn't belong on the road with typical trailer tires (which are summer tires, not even all-season).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My concern if caught in an early snowstorm would not be just tow vehicle traction, but trailer tire traction. It doesn't matter that the tug can pull and turn if the trailer is swinging around like a pendulum..
That would be my concern also. It's not the getting up there part but how long the visit is and how much into Oct. the return date would be. Would definitely have to be prepared to sit out some untimely snow dumps and road clearing.

Ron
Old 09-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
You may want to have a look at this You Tube video posted br Loloho.

https://youtu.be/vw4unbfJhYo

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

By quick visit I meant I would only spend 5 or six days visiting my daughter. I also don't intend to race up an back. Chains would be used on both truck and trailer( cables chains on the trailer). Aekholm, thanks for the road info and always, an eye on the sky.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I wouldn't do it. Fairbanks is a long trip north and you should expect overnight freezing temps, black ice and snow any time particularly from Dease Lake north. It is a very long haul, unpredictable weather, do it when the days are getting longer, temperatures are warmer and you can enjoy yourself and your new trailer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #15

Heck, if you're prepared to do a full truck and trailer chain up then you've put yourself in a different comfort level zone than most folks. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

Ron
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
For the last decade September and the first half of October is my favorite time to camp in Alaska and the Yukon. Most of the crowds are gone and the fall colors are spectacular, especially on those bluebird days with termination dust (snow) in the mountains.

The biggest challenge will be finding open campgrounds, it seems that the majority of them close and shut the gates after mid September. Check out the websites for Yukon Provincial parks, State of Alaska DNR, BLM. They all keep places open along the ALCAN and Cassiar.

We picked up our trailer after Labor Day and spent a leisurely two weeks coming home to Alaska and had a wonderful time. I would bring a small generator along for backup, you may be using your heater nightly and if you have a week of rain your solar may not be able to keep up, if you end up boon docking. As a bonus you get to visit three hot springs, Chena in Fairbanks, Takahini in Whitehorse and Laird along the ALCAN.

When I came to Alaska in the '80s Halloween meant snow, but thanks to climate change, we usually don't see snow until Thanksgiving. Have a great trip! Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote