Short Wave Radio Question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
All good answers.
Thanks everyone.
I'm thinking that a handheld can't really do much then.

The combination of "handheld", original "rubber ducky" antenna and mountainous terrain are very limiting. But with time & imagination you can build an antenna that can reach out very far.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
All good answers.
Thanks everyone.
I don’t know much about the radio’s but Linda has 2 handheld radio’s , one is 2 meter Wouxun 440 and the other 2 meter Wouxun 220 . She has a Yaesu base station FT-2900R that also can be mobile . Many times she loves her handhelds and we are surrounded by mountains and she uses them constantly . She has different antenna’s that can be used on the handhelds . She also has a Baofeng 30.00 radio that she loves too. Best to speak with a operator and they can help you to get started . There are clubs also . Finally , study and get your license . Linda said you can find the test on line and study before you take it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
All good answers.
Thanks everyone.
If you mean a small portable shortwave radio for listening, get one that has a jack for an external antenna. Then you can buy a wire antenna on a small reel that you can plug into the radio then unreel it, clipping the other end to a tree or something. Those work okay. Many portable shortwaves come with one.

If you mean a handheld ham radio, you can increase the range for transmit / receive by using a magnetic-mount antenna on the roof of your vehicle with an adapter for the radio's antenna connection. This works pretty well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you mean a small portable shortwave radio for listening, get one that has a jack for an external antenna. Then you can buy a wire antenna on a small reel that you can plug into the radio then unreel it, clipping the other end to a tree or something. Those work okay. Many portable shortwaves come with one.

If you mean a handheld ham radio, you can increase the range for transmit / receive by using a magnetic-mount antenna on the roof of your vehicle with an adapter for the radio's antenna connection. This works pretty well.
Mike, Linda has a connector for her handheld radio’s to use any external antenna ‘s if she chooses . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #45

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
In response to the original question posted, for emergency, tracking, and text and email comms look at the Spot Messenger or Garmin InReach. Monthly or annual subscription required, but mostly worldwide coverage, via satellite. Email sent.
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Ed Fong roll up j-pole

I use Ed Fong's roll-up j-pole with my HT. Local repeater group reports me as full quieting. Check this link: https://edsantennas.weebly.com/about.html

Mitchell
W3XE
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19"
For connection off the grid

Quote:
Most of the time we are camped off the grid and out of cell range and no radio or tv.
Does Short Wave radio work for people in this case or does it have the same problem because of mountains and such?
We have a subscription to Sirius XM which we use off the grid. I put out an antennae and use the Sirius boom box with the small radio. I use either batteries or our trailer battery minimally. There are also various portable short wave radios that should work as well.
Selfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
In response to the original question posted, for emergency, tracking, and text and email comms look at the Spot Messenger or Garmin InReach. Monthly or annual subscription required, but mostly worldwide coverage, via satellite. Email sent.
The Garmin InReach Explorer+ is significantly superior to the Spot. but you're looking at a $250/year subscription for 30 text messages/month, along with location tracking/sharing with as fast as 10 min updates. Uses the Iridium satellite network which works anywhere in the world, as long as you have a reasonably clear view of the sky. My daughter carried one of these on her PCT hike last year.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #49

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Ham family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I don’t know much about the radio’s but Linda has 2 handheld radio’s
Mary (K5MCL) and I (KR4K) enjoy amateur radio as our family communications method, especially when using the trailer. Like Linda, we use a pair of VHF/UHF hand-held radios (HTs) when hooking up to our tow vehicle, walking or working around camp, etc. Infrastructure independent radios are especially nice when boondocking or in parks away from cellular service.

For longer range, we have an amplifier and a mag-mount antenna that complement our HTs. We can access amateur radio repeaters throughout our travels.

Adding a shortwave (HF) radio in the US or Canada is a rare emergency need - unlike the outback and other remote places. If so, that's a completely different selection and installation discussion. We can use our HF radio from inside our tow vehicle or trailer, traveling or when parked, and using a control console or our iPhones on the same trailer WiFi LAN.

For long reach anywhere, we also have a Garmin inReach Mini for satellite messaging and SOS service. We find we rarely use it, and there is no voice, around-camp service.

Recommend starting out getting your license, using HTs, and initially reaching out via repeaters.

73/gus kr4k
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #50

Hi,

I know of people who use Satellite Phones. They either buy or rent them.
For pricing see:
https://www.satphonestore.com/tech-b...reme-9575.html
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Prices have really come down. We had friends circumnavigating years ago and they had one. We were read the riot act in advance and told very specifically what constituted a reason to call.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Iridium voice calls were still several dollars/minute last time I looked.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Iridium voice calls were still several dollars/minute last time I looked.
That's to pay for all the new satellites they put up a couple+ of years ago.

(We got to see a couple of the old ones incinerate in the atmosphere one night when we visited the Goldendale Observatory in WA. fyi: that's a good side trip if you camp at Maryhill SP.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote