Sierra Nevada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Sierra Nevada

Returning from the High sierras and wondering why we came back! any way just to let you know Taigo Pass is open but most of the upper campgrounds like Tuolumne Meadows are still closed. Had a wonderful time even though our frig and water heater died. Turns out the thermo fuse on the frig took a dump and thermo disc reset connected to the heat shield did not reset. The water heater also died, cleaned out the burner assembly and chamber, along with 2 prong electrode still nothing. Gas valve was working fine and could manually start no problem but would only stay on for 3 seconds. 99% sure the Module took a dump. Went ahead and by passed the thermo fuse since there were no signs of yellowing and no ammonia smells, everything looked good. Have scheduled warranty service appointment in two weeks to have both items addressed. Happy Camping
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice campsite....
Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Tin

Thanks Jim, That's one of the many reasons we love our little escape trailer, fits nice and snug in small camp sites, big boys can't even think of fitting in there.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Returning from the High sierras and wondering why we came back! any way just to let you know Taigo Pass is open but most of the upper campgrounds like Tuolumne Meadows are still closed. Had a wonderful time even though our frig and water heater died. Turns out the thermo fuse on the frig took a dump and thermo disc reset connected to the heat shield did not reset. The water heater also died, cleaned out the burner assembly and chamber, along with 2 prong electrode still nothing. Gas valve was working fine and could manually start no problem but would only stay on for 3 seconds. 99% sure the Module took a dump. Went ahead and by passed the thermo fuse since there were no signs of yellowing and no ammonia smells, everything looked good. Have scheduled warranty service appointment in two weeks to have both items addressed. Happy Camping
Tin.
Wow! don't blame you for not leaving ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Tioga pass on Highway 120 closes in dead winter, why would nearby campgrounds be closed now? fire ? Did you return via CA 395 ?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Is that tufa in the photo of the lake? What lake is it, and is it saline?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
There is tons of tufa in Mono lake where CA 120 meets CA 395. Mono has very little greenery but tons of tufa. It seems TIN stayed at a commercial campground in that area, on way out of Yosemite.

Mono is very salty so yes. It's also a pit stop for migratory birds that come to feed, refueling (lots of brine) before continuing. Mono is a critical lake for western hemisphere birds.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Tioga pass on Highway 120 closes in dead winter, why would nearby campgrounds be closed now? fire ? Did you return via CA 395 ?
Hi Santiago,
The reason is to much snow and snow melt in the upper campgrounds. they are looking at first weeks of august to open some. That is what we where told. Yes we always use CA 395 up and back, so many beautiful campgrounds and lakes and of course places to eat not to mention the diversity, -282 sea elevation to 14,000 ft. elevation in one day.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Is that tufa in the photo of the lake? What lake is it, and is it saline?
Hi Mike,
Yes that pic is from Mono Lake's south Tufa area. It is alkaline, with a pH of 10, and almost three times as salty as the ocean. trillions of brine shrimp and flies.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Santiago,
The reason is to much snow and snow melt in the upper campgrounds. there are looking at first weeks of august to open some. That is what we where told.
Amazing, late July and still feeling he effects of the heavy rains that area had. I've crossed passes just south of there on foot with snow late August but that was 9500 feet. Glad it's not due to fires. Welcome back Tin.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #11

I've been to Mono Lake, but only briefly, and before I bought my trailer. I didn't know there was such a nice campground nearby. I'll have to go back.

Hope you didn't have to gas up in Lee Vining. I certainly remember that. Ow.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Tin, Great stuff all around!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Hope you didn't have to gas up in Lee Vining. I certainly remember that. Ow.
Mike, if you purchased fuel at the Mobil at the corner of CA 120 and CA 395 did you eat at the gas station's "restaurant" ? The owner/cook is a trained chef from somewhere in Europe I think and despite the menu being simple the quality and creativity is very good. It does not match the place or location.

Down the road ( south on 395 ) is a fuel station owned by Indians and I believe that patch of land is theirs too. Locals buy gasoline there because the Indians do not have to charge us gasoline sale tax, its a different country type of situation.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 19'
We were there last week and some of the campsites in the campground along 120 going up to Tioga pass (from Lee Vining side) are closed because the rivers are wider this year and the sites are flooded...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #15
Tin

Quote:
Amazing, late July and still feeling he effects of the heavy rains that area had. I've crossed passes just south of there on foot with snow late August but that was 9500 feet. Glad it's not due to fires. Welcome back Tin.
Thanks Santiago,
Yes it is quite amazing and spectacular, Mammoth ski resort is still open.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Mike, if you purchased fuel at the Mobil at the corner of CA 120 and CA 395 did you eat at the gas station's "restaurant" ?
No, I just gassed up. I remember it was the most expensive gasoline I bought on that particular trip, whose details I otherwise don't remember. On a subsequent vacation I also drove through there and noticed the highest gas prices I had seen in California on that trip as well. It left an impression.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks Santiago,
Yes it is quite amazing and spectacular, Mammoth ski resort is still open.
Really !!! people still skiing this late in the year! Amazing.
Years ago in the month of September we hiked the Land of 1000 Lakes loop just northwest of Mammoth. No snow. Sound like this year it would be a no go unless you ski.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #18
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
We were there last week and some of the campsites in the campground along 120 going up to Tioga pass (from Lee Vining side) are closed because the rivers are wider this year and the sites are flooded...
Hi caddoster,
You are so right, Wife and I saw water falls in places we've never seen or knew existed.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Really !!! people still skiing this late in the year! Amazing.
Years ago in the month of September we hiked the Land of 1000 Lakes loop just northwest of Mammoth. No snow. Sound like this year it would be a no go unless you ski.
This was taken July 5th at Mammoth. We tried to do some hiking above Lake Mary the next day but lost the trail in the snow. Our campsite at 8,800 ft had a raging stream running along the edge from snowmelt. It was great to lull us to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
35932992956_b94c77282e_o (1).jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Wow!!!That 2nd pic looks like a sure thing for next edition of Escape calendar. What a beautiful site!! Oh, and the Escape 5th ain't bad either.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote