snow chains? Thule? weather Dec Jan Pacific NW? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #41
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I'm picking up my trailer on Jan 9 and the weather forecast doesn't look good. The tire chain requirement has me spooked so I ordered a set for my truck. They would be kept in the truck for the "signs telling you to carry chains" that might be up on the trip going to Chilliwack. I don't plan to use them but if a trooper asks for them - I have them. On the way back with the trailer, I would just wait it out or divert to another route.

I really didn't want to buy them but you never know. I guess they could come in handy for mud - we have plenty of that down in Texas.
TDF - We are in the same boat, I carry chains for the truck but went ahead and ordered some for the trailer just in case. plan A is to wait it out, plan B reroute to 101. I knew the mountain passes through California and Oregon could be problematic this time of year but the weather in Oregon and Washington did not expect that.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I went up from central California late last March and picked up my 5.0 ta. I saw numerous signs thru Oregon stating it was a requirement to carry chains just in case they were needed.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Whenever I am packing or loading up and there is a question, I always go by by better to have and not need instead of need and not have. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If you buy a set of chains make sure they fit and you know how to put them on. Have an old timer or truck driver show you how and practice. Chains really are not rocket science, but they can make a vehicle unstoppable. I like the V -bar cross link myself. Remember if you have to use them to not drive more than 35 or40 mph. Chains are like a spare tire, if you don't know how to put one on it's useless. I used to have a Ford Pinto that I chained up to go skiing, there was more than one time I passed a stuck 4x4 pickup with that Pinto all chained up. I put them on at the bottom of the hill in just a few minutes.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #45

Just last week we had a day where chains were required on i5 in OR between Salem and Portland and that's not even a mtn pass.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Plus I'm sure it is cheaper to purchase chains before hand versus paying for them up in snow country where I'm sure there is a premium price to be paid.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I completely agree with Dave and Jon. In my 25 years driving about 25 miles each way to the school I taught in, I saw far too many serious accidents in the winter on slippery roads. I always had 4 ice/snow tires on and still drove far slower than many 4WD pickups and SUVs that flew past me. Too many times I would then see that same vehicle in the median, or upside down on the side of the road. Coming north on I35 in Iowa shortly after it reopened after being closed for a day due to snow and ice, we were carefully crawling along in our car. Ahead of us a truck towing a small sticky hit a patch of ice at the same time a large gust of wind hit him from the side. If you ever wanted to see a demonstration of what extreme trailer sway looks like - that was it.

If you need to pick up a trailer in winter, please built extra days into your schedule and let the road crews do their jobs to get the road cleared and safe for you while you enjoy a nice rest day somewhere. You might do everything right, drive completely safe, but the reality is that there are a lot of idiots out there that may suddenly be in your lane going the wrong way.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A lot depends on driving experience and competency as to comfort levels and ability while winter driving, towing or not.

It may sound trivial, but the countless hours spent as a new driver in parking lots, back roads, etc, practising doing drift corners and stuff like that really paid off for having a better reaction while driving in winter conditions. I find that too much emphasis is placed on avoiding potential dangerous conditions (which you certainly should do), and less is put on training on how to deal with them when the conditions take over.

I love heading into snowy curves on a back road, nailing the accelerator, and drifting sideways around the corner. As it is a controlled drift, I feel more in control than just trying to do a regular turn. We used to do the same all the time when racing snowmobiles, on corners the rear end would swing out away from the corner, and your skis would actually turn the opposite way from the curve. Lotsa great fun. Of course, this worked way better with rear wheel drive, or four wheel drive, and with front wheel drive it is a total different strategy in doing it.

Seeing I am towing a trailer almost daily in winter conditions, I do take extra precaution, especially while cornering, but have really never had an issue. I do have to watch out for all those jerks who feel they need to fill the big gap I leave between myself and the vehicle in front of me, but that's another story....

If for some reason it is blizzard or other severe conditions when I pick up my trailer next month, I will be either proceeding with caution, or waiting for a better break.

My name is Jim, and I am a winter road terrorist.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #49

Used to be that chains purchased at Les Schwab could be returned (with receipt) at the end of the season if unused. If they still do that it's the cheapest way to have them just in case.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...I love heading into snowy curves on a back road, nailing the accelerator, and drifting sideways around the corner. As it is a controlled drift, I feel more in control than just trying to do a regular turn. We used to do the same all the time when racing snowmobiles, on corners the rear end would swing out away from the corner, and your skis would actually turn the opposite way from the curve. Lotsa great fun. Of course, this worked way better with rear wheel drive, or four wheel drive, and with front wheel drive it is a total different strategy in doing it....
I used to enjoy practicing drifting as well, as it really helps a driver learn how to better control their vehicle under adverse conditions. Unfortunately, the traction control system on my FJ does not like it when I try to drift and will automatically and selectively use single- or multi-wheel breaking to stop the drifting from happening. Takes a lot of the fun out of things, but does make for a very stable ride.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #51

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Kind of hard for someone living in the south to get much practice driving and playing in the snow.

I recall as a new driver how I looked forward to the first snows so we could go goof around in parking lots. I wonder if someone in their 60's would have as good a time learning.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It may sound trivial, but the countless hours spent as a new driver in parking lots, back roads, etc, practising doing drift corners and stuff like that really paid

I love heading into snowy curves on a back road, nailing the accelerator, and drifting sideways around the corner. As it is a controlled drift, I feel more in control than just trying to do a regular turn.
Me too. I belong to a drift car group, Dori Kazi, crazy bunch of guys that love nothing more than hanging out the back end of the car. It's a skill that comes in handy at times and adds to the comfort level driving on icy roads.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote