Southwest CO, UT, AZ July 2016 advice sought? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Southwest CO, UT, AZ July 2016 advice sought?

I'm able to get away from work for the entire month of July this year, not sure when I will see a window like this again. My wife would really like to see the Grand Canyon and a few other places in the Southwest. We live in New Jersey, so our first few days will be a mad dash out West, which I am ok with. A few of the places I'd like to hit up on our way or return are:

Steamboat Springs, CO - Strawberry Park Hot Springs
Ouray, CO - Ouray Hot Springs
Estes Park, CO - Rocky Mountain, N.P.

Moab, UT - Arches, N.P.

Page, AZ - Antelope Canyon
Arizona - Grand Canyon, N.P. (South Rim)
Arizona - Glen Canyon Dam

Mesa Verde, CO - Mesa Verde, N.P.
Colorado - Great Sands Dunes N.P. & Preserve.

Am I missing anything worth a quick look? Probably 1 1/2 days in most locations.

I've been to Arches and Mesa Verde about 18 years ago in late June, early July. If I recall correctly I stayed in a motel. I know daytime temperatures will be hot, but how about the nights? Should I count on my refrigerator not being able to keep up? Not a fan of reservations, but could I possibly be shutout of a "private" campgrounds because on the time of year? Any campgrounds worth noting on my map? We like to try an grab a swim late in the day. Big selling point for my 12 year old daughter.

This trip will be pretty much a loop, with the Grand Canyon being the most Western stop. Not sure if we should start a Southern route or Northern route first on this loop?

Would love your two cents on anything worth seeing or tips and advice on how to handle this with my Escape in tow?

Or should I just go park it in the Outer Banks of N.C. For the month of July?

-Vinny
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You are headed to my favorite part of the US. I can't make recommendations for places to swim, but I do suggest staying in some of the area State parks. Check out Goblin Valley, Kodachrome Basin & Dead Horse Point state parks in Utah. Even if you don't camp there, Goosenecks State Park north of Monument Valley is worth a visit. In the Moab area (near Arches) Canyonlands National Park is also a beautiful area. The Islands in the Sky section is not too far from Dead Horse Point SP.

If you are interested in photography, at Antelope Canyon take the photographer's tour. More time & more opportunities to take photos without a bunch of people in them. I have a page that has some suggestions for photographers here.

Depending on the amount of time you have, a visit to Zion National Park is worth a day or two. If the Narrows hike is open, it is a unusual opportunity - you hike in a river through beautiful cliffs.

There is so much more, depending on your likes. I have been in the area many times - if you go to my web page & do a search using the Google search box on the main page, you can find photos & some information about my visits to the area.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd hightail it out thru Colorado on I70 and hit Rocky MountainNP on the way. Then onto Utah for the Grand Circle- http://utah.com/national-parks/grand-circle, afterwards head north up to Wyoming and hit Tetons and Devils Tower then start home thru Mt Rushmore and stop in BadlandsNP on way home.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'll concur with Jon. So many beautiful places in the desert southwest and the Canyonlands. Be aware, places like Arches and Zion fill up sometimes many months in advance. We have had good luck in the BLM sites all over the southern Utah area. We also like many of the smaller state parks like Kodachrome Basin. Love Bryce too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bryce_Canyon_2_md.jpg   2015-04-27.jpg  
Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
We love the Grand Lake side of Rocky Mountain National Park. Less crowded and slower paced than the Estes Park side. Plus, the moose tend to be seen more on the west side of the park. There is a great forest service campground--Stillwater--which is on Lake Granby near Grand Lake.

Also, Pikes Peak is a must see and that will also take you near/through Garden of the Gods. Both are in the Colorado Springs area. We typically stay in Woodland Park which is up the mountain from the Springs and take day trips from there.

Also, Great Sand Dunes is wonderful!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Your trip touches many of the places we love. During summer of 2014, we spent three weeks in July staying in National and State Parks throughout the SW USA. We enjoyed every park that we stayed at including Arches NP, Dead Horse Point SP, Kodachrome SP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon North Rim NP, and Mesa Verde NP, amongst a few others. Was scorching hot in the desert during the mid summer, but we had electricity at about 1/2 of the places we stayed to run the A/C, and our fridge worked flawlessly on propane during the entire trip. Even on those nights without power, our 19' Escape was fairly comfortable inside with the Max-fan providing ventilation and airflow.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Too much to do for 3 weeks but others worth a look, Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome, Capital Reef, drive the Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway. If you like animals, the Best Friends compound in Kanab was outstanding.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Too much to do for 3 weeks but others worth a look, Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome, Capital Reef, drive the Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway. If you like animals, the Best Friends compound in Kanab was outstanding.
If you do the Moki Dugway (while some have, I wouldn't pull my trailer up the Dugway - too washboarded, at least the two times I've been there), be sure to drive out to Muley Point at the top of the Dugway. Driving up the Dugway, it will be a dirt road on your left a little after you are back on the pavement. Go all the way to the end for a beautiful, almost 360° view of the area, including Monument Valley.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
We've been there many times but a great memory is a stop on the river at Mexican Hat, UT and lunch or dinner at the San Juan Inn.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Lots of great ideas here. Many that have been mentioned I visited while on a field study in college. I can't wait to retire and really see everything, 15 more years to go.

Vermilye have to drank from, "Matrimony Spring?" Refreshing source IMHO.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Moki Dugway, what's not to love We were a little apprehensive about going up it but ended up enjoying it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
moki 1_resize.jpg   moki 2_resize.jpg   moki 3_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
It's been a long time, but favorite memories from our tent days: the Zion Narrows hike (mentioned by Jon above); the hike to Delicate Arch, especially nearing the arch; hiking down into the Bryce Canyon formations - once on a full moon night. Southern Utah is other worldly…Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
We've been there many times but a great memory is a stop on the river at Mexican Hat, UT and lunch or dinner at the San Juan Inn.
We were heading to a week backpack trip to the Anasazi ruins just north of Mexican Hat in the BLM canyons. We stopped there for lunch and by the time we reached the trailhead I was so food poisoned from lunch that we limped into Blanding UT and spent first 12 hours you know what and 48 more hours nearly unconscious before I was back in this world. Like Chipotle it's kinda a Clint Eastwood thing "You feel lucky," but we've never stopped in MH again. Probly wouldn't be a problem now, but we can't lose the memory.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I would not go across the country in a hurry and then see everything I could see in a hurry. That is the way some travel, but I would just go to the Grand Canyon and a couple of other places and spend a little time at them, instead of in and out. And save the rest for another trip. It's your trip though. Whatever seems fine to you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
There is so much to see, just in Utah, that's you'll just have to pick the spots you most want to see, and then plan to go back for the rest. Capital Reef is a favorite of ours as it is less crowded and offers a big variety of terrains to see.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We were heading to a week backpack trip to the Anasazi ruins just north of Mexican Hat in the BLM canyons. We stopped there for lunch and by the time we reached the trailhead I was so food poisoned from lunch that we limped into Blanding UT and spent first 12 hours you know what and 48 more hours nearly unconscious before I was back in this world. Like Chipotle it's kinda a Clint Eastwood thing "You feel lucky," but we've never stopped in MH again. Probly wouldn't be a problem now, but we can't lose the memory.
I said it was memorable, something you'll never forget!

We like to get a cold brewski and a Navajo taco. Good grub and great scenery.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A month out of New Jersey is really like 3 weeks in CO/UT factoring in to/fro. Since Grand Canyon seems a must see then I can offer a good boondocks site. On the road from Williams,AZ there is a spot on the right just after the state park on the left a mile or so from I-40. We were where you want to go just before & after labor day and it was tight at the campgrounds. Plan on "staging" prior. For example we boondocks about an hour or so east of capitol reef on hwy 12 up on the aspens. got to capitol reef early next day and it was full shortly afterwards.

Ouray is nice...Rigeway SP is a good spot to unwind & reorganize...laundry, etc. From there you can go to Gunnison via montrose then up to crested butte and oh be joyful. Steve in Texas gave us that tip. Liked it so much we cruised over kebler pass down to paonia, back to Rigeway then to telluride, then back to crested butte.

A cool book to read prior to going to Utah is Finding Everett Ruess. He was 20 year old who wandered the 4 corners for several years back in the 1920's.
Canyon de Chelle is very worthwhile and a place less traveled compared to many of the other well known sites. The natives live in the valley and there is an interesting history. you can walk in at the white house trail.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You want to give a 12 yr old the most awesome swimming experience take a night or two at Glenwood Springs, CO. Worlds largest hot springs pool, and where Doc Holiday died in the TB sanitarium. You will need res to get in the RV parks in the area, but well worth it. It's not far to Moab after leaving Glenwood.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Consider the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's never crowded and because it's higher elevation, the North Rim is forested and comfortably cool. The scenery driving in an out from Page, AZ is beautiful!
We were there about six years ago and walked up to the reservation counter at 9:00 AM. An hour later our 12 year old granddaughter was riding a mule down into the canyon! We didn't need reservations!
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Southwest

As mentioned, you want to see the Grand Canyon, for swimming, the Ouray pool is great, naturally hot and the Glenwood Springs pool is a don't miss either. At Glenwood you can camp at the park at No Name exit off I-70. That park allows you to back up to the Colorado River and watch the boaters go by or the trains on the other side of the river. If you have bicycles the path along I-70 is one of the most scenic of bike paths.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote