Southwest Tour Planning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I just never quite made the digital transition. I've threatened to pack along an 8x10 view camera, looking for that one perfect shot each day.
I hear ya. I've had problems making the transition myself; my favorite camera is still a 4x5 Linhof Technika.

I second Jon's recommendation for Island in the Sky at Canyonlands. This is a photo of the Green River Overlook, not far from the Willow Flat campground in Canyonlands. It was taken with the Linhof, as a matter of fact.
Attached Thumbnails
green_river_overlook.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Most fun I had in recent years was when I bought a half dozen rolls of Tri-X and dug out the Leica M4 to shoot a wedding. Taking real pictures, not assembling pixels.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You guys with your handsome fancy sheet cameras!! When they made me the high school yearbook photographer they gave me a 4x5 Crown Graphic to shlep around at the football games. Well it really was instant credibility.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Boy, did I ever lead my own thread off on a tangent! I had a Crown Graphic at one time, which was really fun. Also a 5X7 aerial camera. Those days are past now, I'm sorry to say. It would be fun to tote some kind of large format camera on the trip, though.

I really love all the suggestions so far. This is probably one of those trips that will demand a repeat at some point.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Our absolute favorite camping experience ever was in the Devil's Garden Campground at Arches park. Unfortunately, when we tried to book a site there for September we learned the campground is closed all of 2016 for construction. Love your itinerary, though. I would second seeing Kodachrome Basin, though it is close enough to Bryce Canyon to do a day trip to.

Bob K

SSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob, don't you mean 2017 closure due to road construction?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Camera lens

Okay, since this has gone off topic on cameras, I thought I would ask since some of you still use the old style (non-digital) cameras. I have 2 35mm Minoltas laying around that we don't use and haven't for years. They also have some separate lenses. Is there any market for those? Do people use those lenses on their digital cameras? I looked on craigslist and ebay and it seems those old Minoltas only sell for about 20 bucks. I'm clueless about all that and was wondering what to do with them. Thanks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Sorry, don't know from Minoltas. My prime lens is a 30 year old manual focus, sharp as ever, works fine aperture priority on my D700.
(Keeping this thread focused on trailers...)...I take it everywhere ET19 goes.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I have 2 35mm Minoltas laying around that we don't use and haven't for years. They also have some separate lenses. Is there any market for those?
Yes, there is a market for both bodies and lenses, but it depends heavily on the specific model and the condition. If there is still a shop where you live that repairs old cameras, they are probably a good source of information and may even be interested in buying them.

I took a circa 1981 Nikon FE in to the one place in Ottawa which might be able to repair a missing rewind handle, and the guy there was thrilled to see it - he so rarely gets to work with film cameras now. I was quoted values on that body and other equipment a few years ago, and most of it is worth less now than it was then, since so few people are still interested in using 135 film.

Quote:
Do people use those lenses on their digital cameras?
One reason that we went with Nikon for our first DSLR was that I had some Nikon (Nikkor and compatible) lenses. Those lenses do mount on the digital bodies, but in practice they are not very useful, because they are not electronic. A modern DSLR lens normally has a focus motor and a computer built into it, and communicates with the camera's computer; the ability of the lens to control aperature may depend on that connection. The functionality of a modern camera with old lenses is usually quite limited, even if the lens physically fits on the body's mount.

Quote:
I'm clueless about all that and was wondering what to do with them.
Some art students (I'm thinking of university level) are required to do some work on film, may not have a film camera, and are unlikely to want one enough to spend very much. I "loaned" (permanently) my FE to a niece in this position. Perhaps a school would be interested?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
rbryan4 beautiful rig and scenery thanks for sharing. Can you share your ecoboost towing MPG? Then I will back out and not de-rail the thread.
Not to derail the thread either, but I see Robert didn't get back at least not here, I'm sure he won't mind this quote to me in a PM. We are considering the same F150 with 2.7, here's what he said:

"The 2.7L Ecoboost is newer than the 3.5, but I'm not concerned about the durability. It's made very similarly to the turbo diesel engines from Europe that go several hundred thousand miles with few issues. We love towing with it. Relatively effortless. Passes with ease and plenty of power to spare. Driving it without towing is even more impressive. We average 25.7 mpg on the highway. Towing mileage however would be much closer to the 3.5L. Our towing mileage varies between 13 and 17 mpg depending on the conditions. I love the truck."

To keep on track then I wonder if anyone can advise whether the places Parker mentions in post 1 are Ok to camp at in late March. Are they open? What's the nightly temperatures like? We plan on being in AZ again next winter then will be in northern CA for a wedding April 1 and would like to hear about some places to stop enroute.

Obviously Parker you won't be attending Niagara rally this year since you'll still be in the SW. Was nice to meet you in 2013 when I came for the day, then bought trailer in 2014

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hey, Adrian, great to hear from you! We're just now getting back on the road after a year and a half of buying a new (very old) home, selling our old one, downsizing, renovating....the usual. We're so looking forward to getting away for a few days, hoping to get two or three short trips in before the big adventure to Death Valley.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While in college I had access to a Speed Graphics 4X5 & took it to a parade. All you had to do is start to lift the camera (a feat in itself) and the entire parade stopped, waited for you to walk out to the center of the street, take the photo & get out of the way before they continued on!

It's main use was to shoot slides for scenic projectors.

As to old film cameras, I still have a Hasselblad with three lenses, original cost close to $8K, and I can't get over $1000.00 for it today.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 15B
Bob: We're interested in that campground too. When I went to the website, it said that the campground may be closed in 2017, not in 2016. Hope this helps. Jim
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for the correction on The Arches, Jim. However, at this point there isn't much left to reserve in the campsite.

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Our absolute favorite camping experience ever was in the Devil's Garden Campground at Arches park. Unfortunately, when we tried to book a site there for September we learned the campground is closed all of 2016.
We agree that Devil's Garden Campground is our all time favorite camping experience. It was a joy to be among the formations and to see the arch right behind the restroom. I'm glad we aren't planning to go back this year if it's closed.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
See my correction. The closure is in 2017. My mistake. However reservations for the fall are pretty well gone.

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you leave Zion headed toward Kanab, you can stop in at the Thunderbird Restaurant in Orderville and have a ho-made pie. Well, that's what they call it..
Attached Thumbnails
t-bird_restaurant.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote