Spokane to 100 mile house - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD
Spokane to 100 mile house

I'll be making this trip come spring. I'm Casita folk, but I figured you Escape folks would be in the know. I'll make the trip to 100 mile house in 2 days. Where to stop over? Walmarts along the way? Do Canadian Walmarts allow such over knighting. Over nighting at rest stops allowed? I'll meet up with the rest of my crew at 100 mile then head to Gustafsen Lake for some fishing. My thanks in advance.
lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Walmarts in Canada have effectively the same overnighting policy as in the U.S.: okay, within the usual rules of courteous behaviour, except where not permitted due to laws or other local conditions.

I assume that rest stop rules also vary by location. We have stayed overnight at three in B.C. where that is explicitly permitted, although they have a time limit; however none are in the target area, and I don't know what's available there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15A
There are Walmarts in Penticton and West Kelowna which is about half way between Spokane and 100 Mile House. Have never stayed in a Walmart parking lot so cannot comment on their policy.

There are a number of very nice provincial park camp grounds in the area as well that would be much nicer to stay at than a Walmart parking lot. I believe the park camp grounds in the Okanagan usually open about April 1. You would have to check on the individual site to see when they open.

Here is a link to the BC Park web site and one site along Okanagan Lake between Penticton and Peachland.

Okanagan Lake Provincial Park - BC Parks

Further along the way in Kamloops there is another Walmart.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
According to Google Maps the most direct route from Spokane to 100 Mile House would take you through Osoyoos, Summerland, Merritt, Kamloops.

I don't know of any rest stops on the route that allow overnight camping. My suggestion would be to spend one night in either Haynes Point Provincial Park (near Osoyoos) or Okanagan Lake Provincial Park (near Summerland). Reservations in BC open at the beginning of March and you should make your reservations as early as you can if you intend to travel in the summer.

Here are some photos of Haynes Point and Okanagan Lake Provincial parks. There are no services at either of these parks, but you can fill your tank with fresh water.
Okanagan Lake Campsite Sept 2013 - a set on Flickr
Haynes Point June 2013 - a set on Flickr

You can contact the Walmart stores in Penticton or Kelowna to see whether overnight camping is allowed. I would recommend staying at one of the parks instead.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

You might want to explore the other parks in the BC Parks website as well. We stayed at Vaseux Lake one night, and although it is right on the highway it is a pleasant little place. Not only were there no services, we were there when they were not open (in the fall), so there was not even an outhouse available... but the sites were fine and our trailer was self-contained anyway. There are also private campgrounds on the same road... Highway 97 through the Okanagan is tourist country.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

The most direct route shown by Google maps shift from the Okanagan valley highway (#97) to the Coquihalla and Merritt using Highway 97C (called the "Coquihalla connector"). There are substantial grades on this road and the Coqhihalla, so it may be preferable to just stay on 97 (the highway which you will eventually use to reach 100 Mile House either way) through Vernon instead. 97 can be busy and slow, but is much more level... and with a trailer you are unlikely to take advantage of the Coquihalla's higher speed limit (110 km/h instead of mostly 90 km/h) anyway. There is essentially no distance difference.