State towing speed limits - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
State towing speed limits

Site named "RVNERDS" provided this info. While towing I'm a 60 mph kind of guy so most don't affect me. I'm the guy slowing everyone down but for those with the heavier foot

https://rvnerds.com/resources/speed-limits-and-towing/
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Well ain't I the lucky one. I've long chaffed about the CA 55 while towing speed limit and since I drive the length of CA it's especially irritating. But now I find out that CA is the only state with this silly limit. I'm much more comfortable towing somewhere over 60 but every mph over 60 likely increases the chance of getting a ticket.

So I stick to 60ish, all the while most trucks go flying by me.

We had several spped limit wars on a local road. Seems traffic studies show that if an unrealistic speed limit is placed on a road that traffic will flow at a speed that the public deems reasonable. I think that's pretty close to the CA situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Well ain't I the lucky one. I've long chaffed about the CA 55 while towing speed limit and since I drive the length of CA it's especially irritating. But now I find out that CA is the only state with this silly limit. I'm much more comfortable towing somewhere over 60 but every mph over 60 likely increases the chance of getting a ticket.

So I stick to 60ish, all the while most trucks go flying by me.

We had several spped limit wars on a local road. Seems traffic studies show that if an unrealistic speed limit is placed on a road that traffic will flow at a speed that the public deems reasonable. I think that's pretty close to the CA situation.

Ron
My daughter lives in San Diego. Otherwise, I would NEVER go to California. 55 mph speed limit, over $4 gal gas, all my guns are illegal there, and my favorite - motorcycles are allowed to split lanes.

The first time I was stuck in traffic and had a motorcycle fly past me between lanes, I almost had a heart attack. He had to clear my truck and the car in the lane next to me by inches. Did I mention that he had to be doing at least 60 mph in stopped traffic?

When I visit my daughter, I drive in and leave by the most direct route.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Towing back from San Diego once I groaned, but maintained that 55 mph limit well into AZ, granny lane on I-40, and then a jackass with NM plates decided to pass me with two wheels --in my lane.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is there a reason for the low speed in CA or is it just the nanny state thing?
Old 08-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Towing back from San Diego once I groaned, but maintained that 55 mph limit well into AZ, granny lane on I-40, and then a jackass with NM plates decided to pass me with two wheels --in my lane.
Took a short break off I 40 at the Khe Sanh Bridge on the return trip. Had to stop! I sure wish New Mexico would open some of their I rest stops. Last time I had to stop at some place with the name Khe Sanh I was running short of JP-4.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
all my guns are illegal there, and my favorite - motorcycles are allowed to split lanes.
Yah, mine too.

I've ridden bikes all my life. One thing that I can say that I absolutely would never do is lane split. I cringe when I see it done. Oh well, some pay the price.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Yah, mine too.

I've ridden bikes all my life. One thing that I can say that I absolutely would never do is lane split. I cringe when I see it done. Oh well, some pay the price.

Ron
I started riding motorcycles when I was six. First time I lived in California I was duly freaked out by the lane splitting thing. In time I found it was a very convenient way to keep moving when faced with the horrific traffic to be found around any of the major urban centers. I was always hyper-aware of what was going on around me whenever I did it, and was pretty good about sticking to the speed differential limit of 10MPH between you and the traffic you're "sharing lanes" with. It still freaks me out to see people who lane split at higher speeds, as if they have a death wish. An ER doctor I used to know referred to such people as Donorcyclists.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Where in Washington is the speed limit 75?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Although the maximum posted speed limit in the state is 70 mph (113 km/h), state law allows a maximum posted speed of 75 mph (121 km/h) (for possible raising of speed limits in the future) on rural freeways.

I had to dig for that one
Old 08-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Yah, mine too.

Ron
Agree if we’re talking about splitting at speed on highways, but after nearly being rear ended on my bike on two different occasions, I would consider it at stop lights if it were legal here.

Edit- giving this a bit more thought, I think what I’m referring to is called “filtering”, not lane splitting.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Back on topic... higher speeds need more tongue weight to keep the trailer stable.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

Note, Article was originally in Jalopnik and called “This is why you need a big truck to tow big things in America”.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
80 miles an hour across South Dakota and those big boys with the F350 King Ranch, Power stroke, 357 magnum, Humpty Dumpty pick em up Trucks, pulling a Big Sky Montana High chaparral, Tip top Sierra, Rocky Mountain Dominator with 6 slide outs and Towing a boat will run that and more. As my Dad would say, “they will pass anything but a gas station.”
Ridiculous.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
From a practicality point of view, there are only two states, CA & WA where one needs to go slower than 65MPH that is the speed rating of stock tires that come on a new Escape.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
80 miles an hour across South Dakota and those big boys with the F350 King Ranch...
Iowa Dave

I think you're describing the trailer I saw strewn among the trees alongside a two-lane highway near Rock Creek, BC.

No sign of the tow vehicle. It probably was towed to the wrecking yard in one piece.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On the way to Fort Wayne yesterday I saw a new stick built being towed out of Elkhart by a dually truck with the delivery company sticker on the fender so I knew it was new. The fender flare on the rear tandem of the trailer was flapping away in the breeze. Probably had a spare inside the trailer. They were running an easy 70 MPH. 10 highway patrol in speed check mode on I80 in about 180 miles. And all the chicken coops were open too. Glad I wasn’t towing the Escape, took about an hour to go through Chicago and a few miles into Indiana.
Hootie and the Blowfish in Indy tonight.
Iowa Dave