Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island loop - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island loop

I've been searching to no avail. I'm positive there have been informative posts on camping the loop up the Sunshine Coast and over to Vancouver Island.

Can anyone direct me to previous posts or recommend campgrounds?
This would likely be a two trailer caravan, this spring or fall.
Thanks in advance.
baglo
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the issue maybe the nomenclature "sunshine coast" in the search feature, I had little success myself. Maybe others will chime in.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Glenn is this the post you’re looking for, I googled Powell River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Sunshine Coast is another great drive.
Starting off with a 45 minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Gibsons and Sechelt area. Most of the road is inland from the coast but good road. Lots of twists and turns but easy to navigate with trailer (have not actually towed our trailer up there).
Further up the coast you catch another ferry (this one is free) at Earls Cove to Saltery Bay connecting to Powell River. It traverses Jervis Inlet, a very scenic ride throught the Coast Mountains.

There is a Provincial campground 4 km north of Sechelt on Hwy 101 called Porpoise Bay. Another campground between the Saltery Bay ferry terminal and Powell River called Saltery Bay. Further up Hwy 101 north of Powell River, near the end of the road, is another cammpground called Okeover Arm Provincial Park. That is near the town of Lund.

There are no doubt some private camp grounds available but I have no experience or knowledge of them.

Skoomchuck Narrows is an attraction to visit. It is accessed from the area near Earls Cove. A narrowing in Sechelt Inlet which has some incredible tidal currents popular with the kayaking enthusists. Not so much with the sailing community unless you time it just right!

From Powell River you could do a circle route onto Vancouver Island landing near Comox and Courtney.

Taking a ferry to the Sunshine Coast involves only one fare which is a return fare. There is no other place to go from the Sunshine Coast so you have to come back!! The ferry from Powell River to Comox would therefore already be paid when you boarded at Horseshoe Bay. (Likewise if you returned back the way you came to Horseshoe Bay.) Of course you would then have to pay for ferry to get off Vancouver Island back to the mainland.

This is a great trip to make in September when the holiday traffic has died down and families have returned back to school. Takes the pressure off getting a camp site and catching ferries.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've been searching to no avail. I'm positive there have been informative posts on camping the loop up the Sunshine Coast and over to Vancouver Island.

Can anyone direct me to previous posts or recommend campgrounds?
This would likely be a two trailer caravan, this spring or fall.
Thanks in advance.
baglo
As I live in Powell River, I can give you a few pointers for camping on the “Upper Sunshine Coast”.

South of town is Saltery Bay PP. Isolated location on the Jarvis Inlet. No services.

One of my favourite sites is Inland Lake PP, located 7km east of the city. The campground sites were recently upgraded. Warm lake suitable for swimming and paddle sports. A 17km hiking/biking trail circumnavigates the lake. Reservations available. No local services.

North of town, in Lund is a private operator SunLund and nearby Okeover Provincial Park. Interesting area to explore for a few days.

In town, Willingdon Creek Municipal Campsite is busy over the summer months and usually needs reservations. Beautiful setting in the heart of the city. Sites are not that private.

On Texada Island, Shelter Point Municipal Campground is a gem of a park with west-facing views of Vancouver Island. Reservations available. Limited services. Further along is Shingle Beach forest service campsite, if you prefer solitude.

There are numerous backcountry forestry campsites frequented by the “locals”. However, access is only available on weekends when the roads are open to the public.

Happy camping - Paul
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This time I am watching and making notes, as some time in the future, though likely a few years away, I plan to do this trip, leaving spring and being on the northern part of Vancouver Island for much of the summer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Many thanks guys. That was what I was looking for.

First two words in John B's post are "Sunshine Coast" so I wonder why a Google search of "Sunshine Coast" failed to turn it up.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
https://sunshinecoastcanada.com/
https://www.hellobc.com/places-to-go/sunshine-coast/
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Try John Henry's resort and Marina. Only 4 sites backing on to the marina. Great for kayaks. A pub within walking distance and a great store with fresh baked goods. You will need to make a reservation, about $50 a night. Clean washrooms. These sites are small back into spots. With a grass area with table and view. Not very private but the view and entertainment on the water make up for it.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
sunshine coast . pendar harbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
Try John Henry's resort and Marina. Only 4 sites backing on to the marina. Great for kayaks. A pub within walking distance and a great store with fresh baked goods. You will need to make a reservation, about $50 a night. Clean washrooms. These sites are small back into spots. With a grass area with table and view. Not very private but the view and entertainment on the water make up for it.
I should have said thst this is pendar harbour on the sunshine coast
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

John Henry's appeals to me. Can't handle a 17km hike at Saltery Bay, but our friends might.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Camping BC Sunshine Coast (& elsewhere)

Check out US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Home, also available in apps for iOS or Android. I've been relying on this for years, including last years trip across Canada. Pretty up-to-date, and what you find isn't you can tell them & it's usually updated within a day or so. iOS version in particular (it's what I use) comes with built-in hyperlinks to the website at issue, Google search, Google images . . . Particularly good for USFS & BLM sites.