Texas to Chilliwac - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Art

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Texas to Chilliwac

Ok, I know I've seen this discussion on here but I can't find it. I would love input on routes from Texas to Chilliwac. Where did you stop along the route, etc. We are travelling with 2 dogs so we need places to stay that allow pets. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...17-a-9286.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...wack-9304.html

La Quinta Inn & Suites are usually pet friendly. You're best bet still is taking I10 to Los Angeles and then I5 to Chilliwack. You may need chains in Oregon.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...17-a-9286.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...wack-9304.html

La Quinta Inn & Suites are usually pet friendly. You're best bet still is taking I10 to Los Angeles and then I5 to Chilliwack. You may need chains in Oregon.
Im posting for Art. We don't go until May. Just trying to be prepared and fill the waiting time.��
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I think I would go bat-crap crazy doing the 10 to the 5 and up. That time of year I would mix it up and the 395 going north to at least the 80 will be both spectacular with all the snow in the mountains and fast without the LA traffic.

You can angle over to it a variety of ways including the 60 that takes you through Wickenburg, AZ.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Once you arrive at Chilliwack, the Best Western, right next door is pet friendly and offer a discount for Escape. Includes free food and other discounts plus there is a Tim Hortons on the parking lot there. We got a room right next to an exit door and was able to exit during the night without going down the halls, it is right next to the laundry area and the staff blocks the door open for smoke breaks throughout the night.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Can't really help you on the pet friendly part. True story: I stay at Hilton owned properties during my frequent business travel, so I have alot of points. So, it was Hampton Inns all the way to Chilliwack, and they're not pet friendly. My solution was to smuggle our dangerous little Yorkie Coco through a side door. [emoji1]
Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Unfortunately Franklin is 80 lbs and Hershey is 50 lbs. neither of which could be sneaked in. Motel 6 is also pet friendly but their premises leave very little pet areas, mainly just parking lots. At least the Best Western had some grass areas for the dogs. In addition, on the day of pick up, they gave us a late check out, allowing us to transfer a lot of stuff from the truck to inside the trailer. Made the first night on the road a lot more easier.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Jim,

Is this all scheduled down to a T?

If you didn't have a late check out, couldn't you load after checkout and have it taken to Sumas when it's loaded?

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Ok, I know I've seen this discussion on here but I can't find it. I would love input on routes from Texas to Chilliwac. Where did you stop along the route, etc. We are travelling with 2 dogs so we need places to stay that allow pets. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Since you are going in May, snow is not an issue. If you have the time, I would take I-40 -> Albuquerque, then US 550 -> Farmingtom, NM, then US 491 -> Cortes, CO. Take a side trip to Mesa Verde National Park to see the cliff dwellings, back to Cortes and US 491/ US 191 ->Moab, UT. Take a day to see Arches & Canyon lands NP. North to I-70 -> US 6 -> I-15 -> Salt Lake City. North to I-84 -> Boise, ID. Stop for dinner at the Bardonay distillery and restaurant continue on I-84 to I-82 North to I-90. I-90 over Snoquamie Pass to Seattle (or bypass on I405) then I-5 to Chilliwac.

This route is 33 hours total driving time not counting time off for National Parks.

Lots of great scenery that way. Then on the way back to the Oregon coast down to at least the SF bay area then wind your way back to Texas.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Jim,

Is this all scheduled down to a T?

If you didn't have a late check out, couldn't you load after checkout and have it taken to Sumas when it's loaded?

Rich
It has to be imported empty by ETI at Sumas and then you bring it back in empty. You can not put anything personal inside until it is yours which does not happen until the parking lot at the burger place. You could do it it then but have to return to Best Western to get your stuff you left in the hotel, like your dogs, your wife, etc. Besides the parking lot is a lot bigger at Best Western. Plus there are only 2 time slots for Escape to import their trailers, one in am and similarly one in pm.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
We went through the mountain states, then Utah, and on up traveling with two big dogs. You just have to plan your route and check hotel policy when you plan. Some Holiday inn's take pets also
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We are heading up to get our 21 this monday (30th)we are 60 miles south of Portland and the weather is going to cooperate thank goodness!That was quite the bout of terrible weather.We also travel with two dogs and we prefer LaQuinta they are super pet friendly.Happy travels
William Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
We left San Antonio yesterday (Thurs) with our two dogs and drove about 860 miles to Farmington, NM and stayed at the LaQuinta. Today (Friday) we drove from Farmington through Salt Lake City to Caldwell, Idaho LaQuinta - about 760 miles with much of it on interstate with 80 mph speed limits. Tomorrow we will drive the remaing 600 miles to Chilliwack and stay at the Best Western. We chose this route (about 400 miles less than I-10 to I-5) only after very closely watching the weather forecasts. I would definitely not do this route if snow was forecast north of Salt Lake City or if it were forecast on I-90 at the Snoqualmie Pass but it looks like it will work for us this trip. Snoqualmie is supposed to be partly cloudy and in the 50s when we go through it. 400 fewer miles AND avoiding California's gas prices along with good weather made the choice for us.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We went through Santa Fe, NM and Salt Lake City, UT (both to visit friends and family). Then we stayed at the Travel Lodge in Pendleton, Oregon (pet friendly - we also had two dogs), and a La Quinta in Kirkland, Washington. (We wanted to have lunch the next day on our way through Seattle, at a young friend's restaurant in Pioneer Square.) After that lunch, we stopped at the KOA in Sumas and reserved a spot for the next night (our first after pickup) - then on to Chilliwack, where we stayed the night before our 8:00a.m. orientation.

Ask ETI for recommendation in Chilliwack. The place we stayed was pet friendly, but I think you can get a better rate if you use one of the hotels that ETI refers you to.

By the way, we had the vaccination records for the dogs with us, but we weren't asked to show them at the border... and we also didn't have any trouble convincing the border agent that we didn't have any guns with us, even though we were from Texas.

Really the trip was lovely - both directions - and the border crossings were not a problem. YMMV
Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Nice; you know what they say about timing! Still, that is quit a bit of marathon driving. Search massage Cilliwack
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Nice; you know what they say about timing! Still, that is quit a bit of marathon driving. Search massage Cilliwack
For sure! One of the first things that's gonna happen when we get back to Texas!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
We left San Antonio yesterday (Thurs) with our two dogs and drove about 860 miles to Farmington, NM and stayed at the LaQuinta. Today (Friday) we drove from Farmington through Salt Lake City to Caldwell, Idaho LaQuinta - about 760 miles with much of it on interstate with 80 mph speed limits. Tomorrow we will drive the remaing 600 miles to Chilliwack and stay at the Best Western. We chose this route (about 400 miles less than I-10 to I-5) only after very closely watching the weather forecasts. I would definitely not do this route if snow was forecast north of Salt Lake City or if it were forecast on I-90 at the Snoqualmie Pass but it looks like it will work for us this trip. Snoqualmie is supposed to be partly cloudy and in the 50s when we go through it. 400 fewer miles AND avoiding California's gas prices along with good weather made the choice for us.
Oh my gosh you are truly a marathon man and your signature about the degree in physical education is very accurate if you can out in days like that....Can you take it a little easier hoing back?
William Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pittman View Post
Oh my gosh you are truly a marathon man and your signature about the degree in physical education is very accurate if you can out in days like that....Can you take it a little easier hoing back?
Most definitely taking it slower on the way home! The thought of an 800 mile day with a trailer .... well that ain't gonna happen with this kid at the wheel! It will take us a couple weeks to make it home. Unfortunately we had a few events that transpired causing us to have to make sprint to Chilliwack.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Sounds like everything is going fine with your trip. I enjoyed reading about your progress. Walter and I are on two days of long driving getting back to Texas. We are looking forward to meeting you and seeing your new is Escae when you get back in Texas. I know we have a lot to learn. Nancy and Walter
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote