The road to Tuk - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The road to Tuk

Here's a new destination for us, though I remember Glenn saying it's a pretty rough town:

BBC - Travel - Tuktoyaktuk: Canada’s last Arctic village?

You go first.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It got a lot more peaceful when Glenn left.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would love to do a trip to Tuktoyaktuk. Maybe part of a Northern trip.

Should get some great capacity for solar charging in the summer there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

If you do you might want to consider two spare tires.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If you do you might want to consider two spare tires.

Ron
For spares total? Two truck and two trailer? Do they allow double towing. Oh man, that means another spare.

Maybe I'll chew bubble gum!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
We took the Dempster to Inuvik then flew to Tuktoyaktuk in 2008, would be cool to be able to drag the trailer there again someday..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
For spares total? Two truck and two trailer? Do they allow double towing. Oh man, that means another spare.

Maybe I'll chew bubble gum!
Bubble gum might not do for a nasty rock cut. There's been discussions before about two spares and some folks think that it's beyond silly to have two spares but when you've seen the results of roads with sharp rocks and folks that have written off two tires, more or less at once, it is something to consider when the road is remote and roadside assistance virtually non-existent.

Ron
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Bubble gum might not do for a nasty rock cut. There's been discussions before about two spares and some folks think that it's beyond silly to have two spares but when you've seen the results of roads with sharp rocks and folks that have written off two tires, more or less at once, it is something to consider when the road is remote and roadside assistance virtually non-existent.

Ron
I have read a lot of that from both sides. I kinda get the idea that the roads are better now, but don't have any experience myself.

Definitely something I will consider. I like the idea of having a spare spare, I don't like the idea of carrying it.
And do you carry one for the tow too?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

I think if you take it slow it's not too bad on the tires... we had a spare on our FJ when we made that trip, didn't needed it. We also didn't see anyone with a flat while traveling on that segment (4-5 days combined).. we did run into people with RV trouble that needed a ride out to get help. We were going to do that for them but luckily another car was on the way out and picked up the passengers.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
We drove the Dempster in a long-bodied Toyota Land Cruiser in 1982. We had unbolted the rear seat and left it at home and made some window screens so we could sleep in the back when the bugs were atrocious. We used a tent when they were merely bad.

Now we have an Escape 21 and would be interested in revisiting the Yukon and travelling all the way to Tuk. Some extra preparations would seem wise, though, especially if your tug is a diesel, as our "Land Bruiser" was. We had to carefully plan our fuel stops in advance. Perhaps there are more diesel pumps and less range anxiety in the Yukon now. In 1982, the only diesel pump on the Dempster was at Eagle Plains, about halfway between Dawson City and Inuvik.

We drove the Dempster during a dry spell, and a roostertail of dust could be seen for miles when another vehicle was approaching. The makes we wonder how we could seal the door of the Escape to make it dustproof. The windows might be OK as they are, but if anyone thinks not please let us know.

We had no flats on that trip, but heard stories along the road of others who did. I don't know if the roads are better in the Yukon now, but the quality of premium tires certainly is. Still, an extra truck and trailer spare in the box mounted on rims would buy some peace of mind.

I look forward to hearing the experiences of others to take on the challenge of driving to the Arctic Ocean.
Attached Thumbnails
dempster highway.jpg   DempsterHwy_Km72_YKsh.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
In 1982, the only diesel pump on the Dempster was at Eagle Plains, about halfway between Dawson City and Inuvik.
In 2008 the only gas station between the start of Dempter and Inuvik was Eagle Plains too.. so you weren't missing much!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
I look forward to hearing the experiences of others to take on the challenge of driving to the Arctic Ocean.
That sounds like a great adventure. I really like your photos, especially the first one.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
In 2008 the only gas station between the start of Dempter and Inuvik was Eagle Plains too.. so you weren't missing much!
The intervening decade has apparently seen a doubling of services ...
From Bell's Travel Guides - Dempster Highway
Quote:
Services are limited on the Dempster. Gas, diesel fuel and repairs are available at Eagle Plains 365.7 km/227 miles, Ft. McPherson 555 km/345 miles, and at Inuvik.
The Dempster Highway and Milepost websites provide more detail about amenities, but list the same fuel locations.

I think it's safe to assume that there are no services between Inuvik and Tuk.

Quote:
... Some extra preparations would seem wise, though, especially if your tug is a diesel, as our "Land Bruiser" was. We had to carefully plan our fuel stops in advance. Perhaps there are more diesel pumps and less range anxiety in the Yukon now. In 1982, the only diesel pump on the Dempster was at Eagle Plains, about halfway between Dawson City and Inuvik.
Given the vehicles which are used in the north, I would expect to find diesel everywhere there is gasoline. In this case, that's true.

Our van has enough range while towing to make each of the steps along this highway, but not with enough reserve for me to be comfortable with the Dawson-Eagle Plains leg. I would have to mount portable fuel tanks on the trailer, or strap some to the roof of the van.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:

Yeah, I could be talked into a trip to Tuktoyaktuk sometime, maybe after the Escape rally next year or in 2020.

The town is more than 2,000 miles north of Osoyoos! I'd be a long way from home. Not that I care.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21
I'm planning a trip to Tuk this summer with my new escape 21 and 2015 toyota tacoma, and would welcome anyinformation.

I drove up and down the Alaska highway and all over the Yukon, in 1977, in a Volkswagen bug. At that time the roads were all gravel. I carried two spare tires on rims, in the back seat of the bug. I had three flats, but two of them happened at the same time, so I was happy to have the two spares. It was a challenge to jack up the bug with two tires down, as anyone who owned one of those bugs would appreciate. We ended up using poles we made from nearby trees, to pry up the bug.Since then the roads and tires are much better!!

I havent decided how may spare to carry for my trip this year, but am upgrading to AT tires for the Tacoma.

But what about the stock tires on the Escape trailer? how good are they for extended gravel roads? My apologies if this has been discussed in another forum.

Also Jim thought that that solar power would be good because of the long days in the summer. I'm not sure of that, as the sun is very low in the sky even at noon, and so the overall solar energy is not very high. In addition I have my solar panel mounted horizontally on the roof of my escape so not much sun exposure because of the low angle of the sun.

just a few thoughts.
jascah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jascah View Post
Also Jim thought that that solar power would be good because of the long days in the summer. I'm not sure of that, as the sun is very low in the sky even at noon, and so the overall solar energy is not very high. In addition I have my solar panel mounted horizontally on the roof of my escape so not much sun exposure because of the low angle of the sun.
True - the far north is definitely a place for a portable or tiltable panel. If you can pick the direction your trailer faces when camped, vertical on the side of the trailer would work better than horizontal on the roof up there!

I found this calculator and visualization tool very helpful:
3D Sun-Path
Slide the controls to match the target location and date: about 69° latitude and -133° longitude, in time zone GMT-6 (in the summer) for Tuk.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #17

It is a point to consider. Carrying two spares, especially one for the tug and one for the trailer certainly is extra weight and takes up a lot of space. With my Ford Ranger already pretty much maxed out it'd be difficult for me to carry double spares. But I've seen enough of other folks problems to know that it is a reasonable consideration, depending on the area and services available.

Strangely, my trailer tires have held up remarkably well in both Alaska and Baja. But this fellow, carrying double trailer spares wasn't as lucky. The "spare", under the cover was on the trailer behind the badly damaged tire. Evidently the flailing wires cut into that tire and it wouldn't be safe to use. Don't know if that happens to other with tandem axle trailers.

I had a nasty cut on a truck tire on the "Top of the World" highway. The town of Chicken does a roaring business in folks coming in with cut tires. I was surprised that it was a truck tire that was damaged rather than a trailer tire.

If I get an F 150 and I'm going to Tuk it'll be two spares for me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Baja Feb 2016 025_resize.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I once had two flats within minutes of each other on Heckman pass driving in to Bella Coola for some salmon fishing. The pass had been recently graded. I did have a small air compressor and was able to limp down into the valley using the better of the two flats and refilling it every 4 or 5 km.

Neither puncture was in the sidewall and if I’d carried a plug kit I would’ve been able to make both of them useable. I now carry a plug kit.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #19

I have a plug kit also. I had one at home. It cost about 5 bucks. Somehow it wasn't with me when I had my tire problem near Chicken. They had them in stock. Only cost me 29 dollars. It's a good reminder to make sure I have my usual spares and maintenance stuff with me.

Ron
Old 06-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21
Ive been away from the forum for awhile. Thanks for the link.
I have a portable solar panel kit, that I used before I bought ny escape. You can change its angle< but its bulky and would take up a lot of space in my escape, and my Tacoma is pretty well maxed out as far as carrying capacity. I will just have to see how it goes with the permanent horizontal panel on the escape.
jascah is offline   Reply With Quote