The road to Tuk - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
I taught school in Tuk in the late 80s. Tough town. Six rcmp constables needed for 950 residents. 1 to 158 ratio. Considered a dry community but the bootleggers did a brisk business. I try not to embellish any stories from that era. Cheers. Peter

2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
Wow. I wouldn't mind going up there again. Love the Dempster Hwy. Thanks for the info Scott. The Airstream is gone now but it would be a good trip for the Escape we get in June.
Len, unless we get drawn for the Denali Road Lottery, Road Lottery - Denali National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) our last late fall trip before putting the trailer to bed for the year is usually the Klondike Loop with a stop at Tombstone Territorial park outside of Dawson. We also have to hit Takhini Hot Springs coming and going. Big German crowd in the late fall, great conversations with some good Rieslings. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are the swiss army knife of bikes.

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Len, unless we get drawn for the Denali Road Lottery, Road Lottery - Denali National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) our last late fall trip before putting the trailer to bed for the year is usually the Klondike Loop with a stop at Tombstone Territorial park outside of Dawson. We also have to hit Takhini Hot Springs coming and going. Big German crowd in the late fall, great conversations with some good Rieslings. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are the swiss army knife of bikes.
That is a very interesting Denali link. Thanks Scott.

My Blog; https://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Driving to Inuvik in 1982

When we drove the Dempster Highway to Inuvik in 1982, we took the BC ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert, then drove the Stewart-Cassiar road up to the Alaska Highway, then went on to Whitehorse and Dawson after a side trip to beautiful Atlin.

We'd removed the rear seat from our Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 and slept in the back of it when the bugs were plentiful, and in our tent when they weren't. Miraculously, we had sunny weather for the entire trip, except for one light shower in Dawson City.

When we stopped for diesel at Eagle Plains in the only gas station on the Dempster at that time, we met five Germans who were about to launch two Klepper double kayaks for a run down the Porcupine to the Yukon, and then to the river's mouth on the Bering Sea. The fifth guy had drawn the short straw and was going to drive their Westfalia to meet the others weeks later. The guys knew exactly what they were doing, and were well-equipped for the challenge.

When in Inuvik, we were tempted to fly into Tuk, but it was very expensive. It will be great to have the option of driving and camping there when the new road is completed.

We returned to Dawson, then headed west through Alaska via the Top of the World Highway, camped at Kluane Lake, then caught the Alaska Ferry in Skagway and then the BC Ferry back to the Island. It was whale soup in Alaskan waters, with the humpbacks putting on a memorable show for us ferry passengers.

We explored a lot spectacular wilderness by road, on foot, and in the canoe we had with us, and experienced vast, silent landscapes and empty skies that are rare south of 60 degrees latitude. Most nights, we camped alone, but the few locals and visitors we did meet were all interesting.

We suggest that you leave yourself more time than the five weeks we had, especially if you are coming from the lower 48. We were glad we reduced our amount of driving by taking the ferries for part of the way, but the cost is likely prohibitive for anyone towing a trailer.
[Photos (stock): Tuk, Dempster near Tombstone, Arctic Circle marker].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TUK.jpg (153.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Tombstone.jpg (392.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg arc-circle-sign.jpg (114.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sounds like one fantastic trip!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
What a Trip! And Good Advice!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Love this thread. It's inspiring me.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wow you guys are amazing! My trip down the Dalton Highway from Prudhoe Bay was in a nice tour bus.

Dynamite road picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlaskClouds.jpg (99.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wow you guys are amazing! My trip down the Dalton Highway from Prudhoe Bay was in a nice tour bus.

Dynamite road picture!
I go bow hunting for caribou every fall on the Dalton. I think that the scenery is actually a little nicer than the Dempster. But, I have never been keen on hauling a trailer up there. Some of the truckers heading up to Prudhoe Bay tend to “push you”, gets old real fast. (We do pull over to let them pass). These days I just take a good tent and sleeping bag, much easier than hauling a camper up there. Couple of years ago got a rock thru the radiator, with the cost of diesel and a new radiator that was some expensive meat. The Dempster is a much more mellow and relaxing drive. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote