Thoughts on Pacific Rim National Park - Tofino - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Thoughts on Pacific Rim National Park - Tofino

Getting my Escape plans together for spring 2013 delivery.
Have holidays booked for summer 2013.
Thinking of places to go.

Thinking of taking our new Escape on the road and seeing/enjoying some of those marvels that I have heard others talking about for years. Have only ever been to Vancouver Island once, and that was many years ago as a 13 yr old. One of the options we are considering is to spend some time in the Tofino - Pacific Rim National Park area of the Island. Anyone have any opinions/comments/suggestions regarding:
- places to stay,
- things to see,
- things to do (we have a 12 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old son who will likely be with us)
- benefits of staying in the park versus elsewhere.
-

Thinking of up to a week in this area before moving along to see other places. We will likely bring ww canoes and possibly a kayak (lake) for water fun wherever we may be. We are not heavy into fishing but a day on a boat fishing for salmon could be fun. Kids and wife love beaches and sun.

We are open to suggestions.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Trailer: '07 17B
Hi, There are lots of things to do/see over on the west coast of the island. Everything from the regular touristy spots to the wilderness. Kennedy Lake is great for paddling & fishing. Long Beach is fantastic just to hang around. Tofino & Ucluelet have a bunch of neat shops & restaurants. Also guide services.
The only down side to all this is the cost of the ferries & accommodations once you are over there. I would say that, with your Escape, Green Point campground is the best place to stay, but make reservations asap!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Hi Dave.. There a lots of campgrounds there, both private and in the National Park. I would tend to go for the park but check them all out to see what is there. Summers are busy there, so reserve your site well in advance to ensure you get one during the time you want. As for things to do you can go kayaking (Tofino Sea a kayaking or rentals, day trips and multi day trips), charter fishing, whale watching, walk any of the beaches (for hours) and beachcomb, take a boat trip up to Hesquit Hot Springs (you can tie this into a whale watching trip), a trip to Roy Vickers' First Nations Art Gallery, a stop at Catherdal Grove (on the way in just before Port Alberni ... You'll know when you are there by the size of the trees!), surfing (Surf Sisters if you need lessons), the spa at Wickininish Inn (for the wife...a wicked view) just to name a few. Google Tourism Tofino as there will be lots of info there. As for place to eat, we like Sobo's (casual west coast cuisine, killer seafood chowder and pizza), fine dining Wickinish Inn... Did I mention the wicked view?!!!

As it is summer, you might get fog so be prepared. Enjoy your trip to the West Coat, you will love it.

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

I am not much of a fisherman and couldn't see myself spending a big portion of my holiday fishing. ... However, it would be fun to go on a fishing charter for a day with the family to catch some salmon. I have gone on-line to look at what this would cost, and for 3 or 4 of us during summer, it could run in the range of about $1000 or more for a day (excluding fishing licenses, taxes and tip). I don't know if there are any cheaper alternatives. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good charter company, preferably on the west side of the island that provides a quality service at a fair price?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

Dave, there are a number of companies that do group charters on bigger boats for 20 people or so. Most are out of Ucluelet which is 1/2 hour south of Tofino. They take you off shore to fish for halibut and ground fish and then bring you in closer to shore to catch salmon: chinook, sockeye and springs. I am told pretty well everyone gets their fish to take home. I will try to dig up the names of a few companies for you. You will definitely be able to do it for less then the quoted price.

Will let you know.

Scott
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Hi Dave, here is one you can look at

Rates For Vancouver Island Fishing Trips and Wildlife Cruises, BC

A one day saltwater licence is $5.00 for kids under 16.

Scott
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Hi Dave, here is one you can look at

Rates For Vancouver Island Fishing Trips and Wildlife Cruises, BC

A one day saltwater licence is $5.00 for kids under 16.

Scott
Thanks Scott, will definitely check that out.