Tips on 3,500 km journey - AB to NWT to BC and back - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by deange View Post
Good to know, where did you pick one up?
I tend to pick this kind of stuff up from Amazon. Selection is almost unlimited, easier than going from store to store.

Take a peak under your trailer and picture gravel being flung up the underside. What can it easily hit and damage? And what would happen if that item got broken. I'm ordering a replacement water tank valve myself. Be sure to include the appropriate sized wrench to do the various repairs.

I also take a tarp to lay on if I have to crawl under the truck or trailer.

The other thing I keep is a running paper list of stuff I think I will need. I write it down (before I forget). In my case, I have to add four border crossings, maybe as many as six. Passports, Canadian insurance cards for trailer and truck (US citizens need them), up to date health certificate for the dog, prescriptions for all meds carried, etc. Crossing a border, which is NOT your case, complicates stuff.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Brake wiring

Sounds like a great trip, and lots of good advice and experience being shared. On other threads there have been discussions of the nylon zip ties holding the brake wiring along the axles being broken or worn down on gravel roads leading to brake issues. I would suggest changing the nylon ties with something more substantial.
I did a wrap of bicycle handlebar grip tape around the wire and axle and secured this with a hose clamp. The clamp for wear and strength and the tape to protect the wire from the clamp. I’m not sure this is the best idea, but I had the supplies on hand at the time. I’d be interested in other ideas folks have had.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
Sounds like a great trip, and lots of good advice and experience being shared. On other threads there have been discussions of the nylon zip ties holding the brake wiring along the axles being broken or worn down on gravel roads leading to brake issues. I would suggest changing the nylon ties with something more substantial.
I did a wrap of bicycle handlebar grip tape around the wire and axle and secured this with a hose clamp. The clamp for wear and strength and the tape to protect the wire from the clamp. I’m not sure this is the best idea, but I had the supplies on hand at the time. I’d be interested in other ideas folks have had.
That's a super fantastic idea. I have zip ties in my trailer kit but hadn't thought of a good use for them until now. Perfect!
I sure appreciate the advice and help from everybody here
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #24

Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deange View Post
We are planning our trip this August to explore the Deh Cho Travel Connection using our 2006 Escape 17b. I'll post my questions and then brag about our upcoming journey!
We are assuming we will be mostly dry camping for our adventure.
A. How long will our two propane tanks last powering the fridge?
1. We have solar for our power (and I may have to replace our battery) but am
afraid to power the fridge on DC and then not be able to run the pump or
lights at night.
2. Should the DC, when hooked up to the truck while driving on the road,
charge the battery and run the fridge without losing charge on the trailer
battery?
B. We have amassed a fairly good emergency kit and experience in preparation
-Shotgun, jack, spare tire, instant tire repair (fix a flat aerosol), rubber mallet, socket set, screwdriver set, double sided sticky tape, an extra sewer valve cover (I seem to lose them on gravel roads a lot). Bearings recently greased, new rims and tires, recently updated all bulbs (inside and out to LED). Finally, we've been going for camping trips (up to four hours away, one-way, since May 18). Missing anything?

I will pull either with our 2003 Chevrolet Surburban or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD

Link to Itinerary: http://v5.spectacularnwt.com/sites/d...eitinerary.pdf
Some stuff on the Alaska Highway we will be traveling:
https://www.hellobc.com/road-trips/alaska-highway/
Link to map: https://maps.app.goo.gl/?link=https:...e-9a24bca368ff
I drove the Den Cho to Yellowknife, followed by the Dempster to Inuvik in 2011. And that was before the new bridge was finished. It is a beautiful drive and the gravel is well graded. If you have any mechanical trouble someone will stop and help you, which is the Rule of the North. The blackflies were horrendous!
I was in a 2007 17B Escape towing with a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The Alaska Highway is a piece of cake. The Den Cho is an adventure. Have fun.
rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Bug spray and ( bear spray , one for trailer and one for the tow ) .
Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
We were asked this trick question two days ago on our US boat in Canadian waters. “Where do you keep your firearms?” Correct answer: “We don’t have any.”

I do have another lethal and legal alternative...a flare gun. Purchase at Fred Meyer for $70 with 4 shotgun shells. It is part of my flare/signal kit on my boat and would scare the hell out of a bear or do some serious damage to someone threatening me.
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbawden View Post
I do have another lethal and legal alternative...a flare gun. Purchase at Fred Meyer for $70 with 4 shotgun shells. It is part of my flare/signal kit on my boat and would scare the hell out of a bear or do some serious damage to someone threatening me.
Are we talking about the basic Olin ga. flare gun? I've had them for years and years and carry one in the trailer as part of my kayak's safety equipment. I always thought that it'd be a deterrent in other situations. Then I test fired it at some misc. stuff and it basically has no omph at all.

But if we're going off into bear country I carry bear spray and a shotgun. No problem to do it legally in either country. Of course I had to promise my wife that I wouldn't shoot a bear unless I had no other choice.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
You might check the expiration date on the shells. They can be underwhelming if old. Check out the utube videos to get an idea what they can do.
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #29

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I echo bug spray (the stuff with DEET at least 25% works best) and at least one bear spray with belt holder. I would include a good flash light or head lamp (handy having your hands free). Purchase the bear spray when in Canada at an outdoor store or Canadian Tire. Read the monograph to understand how to use it and keep the bear spray with you in remote areas even if close to campsite.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I suggest a plug kit for tire repair to go along with the air compressor.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
A spare fresh water tank drain spigot/cap would be a good back up. 150 miles on Nevada gravel road taught me that one.

Is there a standard size for these, or is there a size I should ask for? I'd like to pick up some spares while I'm on the road.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd sent an email to ETI to obtain that info, Mike.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd sent an email to ETI to obtain that info, Mike.
Very kind, looking forward to the reply. We leave tomorrow for our trip
deange is offline   Reply With Quote