To Chilliwack and back for our 17A - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17A
To Chilliwack and back for our 17A

Well I meant to get to this posting sooner as it has been almost a month now since we braved the winter highways and drove to Chilliwack to pick up our new Escape 17A.

My wife Mimi , myself, and our 10 year old black lab Abby left Santa Cruz, CA about 5:30AM on Monday December 7th. We had been informed that our Escape would be ready a few days early so we scheduled for a December 9th orientation and pick up. I set the WAZE app for the Motel Six in Springfield OR and off we went. We cleared the Siskiyou summit about 12:30 with modest rain along the way. Lunch was in Medford and we rolled into Springfield around 4:30. We arrived after a huge rain storm hit there earlier that day.

This was my first time using WAZE and I found it useful for updating road conditions and revising the estimated arrival time at our destination. Once in Springfield I used the "find a restaurant near me" button on the TripAdvisor app and that lead us to the Plankhouse Brewery. It was Monday night and the $10 burger and brew special was worthy of its high rating in TripAdvisor.

Tuesday morning, after a clean but no frills night at Motel Six, we headed north again on I5 encountering pounding rain from the Oregon/Washington border through Seattle. We arrived in Bellingham
again around 4:30 for a pleasant overnight stay at the Guesthouse Inn. Anticipating taking possession of our 17A had us fall asleep that night with high expectations and some anxiety with regards to the weather.

Next day we once again set ourt for an hour's drive to Chilliwack with a welcome break in the wet weather. Orientation went smoothly, Reace set us up with a new hitch ball, and before we knew it we were headed back to Sumas to hook up our new Escape. Waiting in line to cross back into the USA we caught a glimpse of our trailer being towed through the commercial lane.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1830.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	14444

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1823.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	14445

It's about 2PM now and we are hitched and ready to roll.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1819.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	14448

Now I have towed a lowly tent trailer for many years and I was cautiously optimistic that everything would go well with our 2000 4Runner. And well it did go. We stopped at the grocery in Everson to buy soup, eggnog, and whiskey --- all the essentials. Then on to Bayview State Park where so many of you settled in for your first night. We arrived there about 5:30 and it is almost dark so we did not really get a chance to appreciate our surroundings. The rain returned that night but we were snug for our first night aboard "never better", our Escape 17A.

The next day, Wednesday, we pulled out early with our sights set for Devil's Lake state park in Lincoln OR. WAZE sent us around Seattle on I405 but it was slow going as well with intermittent rain. Again, on I5 south of Seattle all the way to Oregon the rain came down heavy. We passed several flooded out fields and roads as we plowed on through record setting rain. We were fortunate to be traveling south as northbound I5 was closed due to a mudslide north of Portland.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1820.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	14447

Now I must say at this point --- this is exactly the weather that I assured my wife that we would avoid. We could have waited until after all this rain to come pick up our trailer. But there we were and that trailer pulled steady and solid. Big rigs would pass us by splashing us with mountains of water as we went. I just kept a steady hand on the wheel and our Escape followed like a dream.

The rain subsided as we made it to Salem and turned right for the coast. It was about 4PM when we pulled into Devil's Lake park to find it closed due to flooding. So onward we go. We made it to Newport where we pursued camping signs that lead us to the Port of Newport RV park. There were maybe a half-a-dozen rigs in there as we promptly pulled into a vacant space near the restroom building. The office was closed but a brief conversation with a current tenant provided us with the combination to the bathroom and showers --- nice and clean. That night there was thunder and lightning as more storms came ashore. The next morning was calm enough for a photo.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1822.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	14446
Once we pushed out of Newport, heavy rain resumed as we headed south again. Fortunately, the further south we got the more the rain subsided. We stopped in Gold Beach, OR for lunch.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1829.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	14449
Past that point the rain was light all the way to Arcata, CA where we overnighted with a close friend.

The next day, Friday the 11th, we cruised down a very familiar Hwy 101, across the Golden Gate and into our home port in Santa Cruz. While it was a relief to be home, it was also the end of a very exciting and memorable adventure for us.

The epilogue to this journey was a quick trip south to the Big Sur coast on Christmas day. We stayed one night each at Plaskett Creek and Kirk Creek campgrounds. Despite the winter season, there were many people out camping and Kirk Creek filled to capacity. We lucked out with fabulous weather.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1824.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	14450
So now we are settling in with thoughts of new travels --- Death Valley in March --- New England next Fall. I expect to be soliciting your thoughts about those destinations. I will also be haunting the modification forum soon as we try to optimize the storage. The first project was the relatively easy task of installing shelves. There is so much more to do --- it is all so exciting.

Name:	3320-albums180-picture1826.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	14451

Now to close out this excessively worded post with an acknowledgment of the debt of gratitude that we owe all of you out there on the Escape forum. It is an honor to count ourselves among you. It was through this forum that it became clear that Escape was the right choice to begin with. And then all of the advice and ideas that helped us through the build-sheet decision process. You are indeed an outstanding group of folks and we look forward to meeting each and every one of you as we travel the roads of our great continent.

All the best,
Allan, Mimi & Abby too
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That is one impressive pantry.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good trip, even with the weather. We loved Newport when we were there in 08.
Congrats on a successful wild ride....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
What an adventure! Obviously you and your rig survived the weather and the miles. Congratulations and welcome back to Ca.

ps: we love Big Sur!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I do love the 17A...it was a coin toss for me was to which way to go. A great trip report. Happy traveling!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21'
We will be picking up our 21 in March from Mill Valley California. It was very fun to read about your trip.
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice shelves, I'd suggest a piece of trim along the front edge to keep things from falling when opening after towing....
Old 01-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Great summary! We are headed to New England next fall also. Perhaps we will cross paths.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Great adventure. You were braver than I to chance the Siskiyou Summit at this time of year. Welcome to another "California Escapee". You may wish to seek out Costco for gas. I know of one in Medford and Eugene, Oregon if you go that way again; also Eureka, Ca.
WAZE has been helpful, especially the vocal part that warns of problems or issues ahead. ODOT (Oregon Deparment of Transportation) has always been an outstanding site for Oregon highway information and has access to border California cams on their site as well. There is now a phone app! It's helpful to be able to view what is going on ahead as well.
Glad you are having fun.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Congratulations on your new trailer! One more Escape in Santa Cruz. Pretty soon, California will have as many as Canada (ha!). Thanks for posting your very interesting trip report.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you so much for posting your story. We'll be doing the trip soon with all the winter hazards too. The WAZE app sounds like a good idea. I'll be so happy when that trailer (and my family!) is home safe and sound!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Pretty soon, California will have as many as Canada (ha!).
Should be entirely possible given California has more population than Canada, a better year round climate for usage and a buck than makes them a much better deal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What a great first trip report! Thanks so much for sharing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Alan and Mimi, what a nice report. Reminded us so much of our experiences picking up - including the rain for days!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
To Chilliwack and back for our 17A

Congrats on your new 17A! Nice to see someone else with an A, rather than the usual B.. Good to see another Californian, too. Good Luck with all your future trips..
56farmerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Allan and Mimi, you folks were on the same factory tour we were. I was wondering when you got your trailer and how it turned out. and now I know! What a way to break in your trailer, driving through all that rain we had. What joy!

Glad you got your trailer just fine and all that. Enjoy!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote