Toronto to Los Angeles and Back, Advice needed. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
If you and the boys have never been to the Grand Canyon, go there.
Even if you only spend an hour there I think it is worth seeing.
Have fun!
It was in 1974 that I made that round trip drive and it was on Route 66 then. I guess that is I40 now. Route 66 went through towns, I40 avoids them.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Pikes Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is Pikes Peak a road you want to tow a trailer with?
We're staying at Cheyenne State Park for 2 nights, the start of the pikes peak road is about 20 minutes away. We'll be going up to the peak on a rest day. Our campsite is right near NORAD, the famous military entrance into the mountain base seen on movies.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
At Zion- especially that time of year with the boys - make a plan to rise very early to get on the first tram to The Narrows. It takes about 45 minutes to get there. Have some good water shoes and hiking stick or pole. Amazing experience!

At Moab check out the #1 place to eat: a food truck called Quesadilla Mobila. Also there is free drinking water at the sporting goods store.

Lastly- on the way to Vegas is Valley of Fire SP that we have enjoyed camping and checking out the Petroglyphs.
Thank You, yes, planning on doing the narrows, yes going to look for Quesadilla Mobila, I saw references to them on Tripadvisor, Valley of Fire, pretty awesome, did that last year.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
If you and the boys have never been to the Grand Canyon, go there.
Even if you only spend an hour there I think it is worth seeing.
Have fun!
It was in 1974 that I made that round trip drive and it was on Route 66 then. I guess that is I40 now. Route 66 went through towns, I40 avoids them.
I want to do the Grand Canyon, but I figured it was going to be to hot.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We're staying at Cheyenne State Park for 2 nights, the start of the pikes peak road is about 20 minutes away. We'll be going up to the peak on a rest day. Our campsite is right near NORAD, the famous military entrance into the mountain base seen on movies.
That place is on my bucket list, nice to know where it is now, thanks.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Thank You, yes, planning on doing the narrows, yes going to look for Quesadilla Mobila, I saw references to them on Tripadvisor, Valley of Fire, pretty awesome, did that last year.
FYI, July is storm season out west and there can't be any reported storms N of the Narrows to hike it at that time of year. Flash floods are deadly in slot canyons out here with nowhere to escape. The park will have warnings and conditions posted for it and will close it if they deem there are any storm conditions from Zion up to Wyoming. Just stay aware and check with the ranger station on the morning you want to hit the Narrows.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Don’t rule out the Grand Canyon. The South Rim, which is the easiest to get to, is at significant elevation and might be fine temperature-wise. Just very crowded
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If we were going then (or any time) it would be Desert View CG. 25 miles away from the sh** show.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm with bill. The canyon is too spectacular to drive by. Find a camp spot, reserved if possible, for two nights, preferably weeknights. Arrive in the evening. Go up the the south rim EARLY the next morning, to arrive right at opening. You won't be alone but the madness will be less at that time of day. Stay a few hours or longer, walk along the rim, take some photos. Go back to your campsite, leave the next day.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
South Rim

We visited the Grand Canyon in 2013. We camped in a US Forest Service campground about 15 miles south of the park if memory serves in Ponderosa pines. I am fine with crowds in this type of situation so we took the leapfrog busses along the south rim at sunset. The people were nice, we enjoyed the way the park service had it set up. The sky was hazy but it was still fun. The toughest part was finding my Highlander in the large parking lot. Camping was great. Although we were headed south from there we went back to the park in the morning and checked out the overlooks and scenic areas to the east the next morning and then took a two lane cross country towards Phoenix. It was a good experience. It was pretty warm but there were drinking fountains available with good water. You can’t drink too much water in the desert. Crowds and all I’d go back some day.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
That would be wrong. South Rim temperatures are mild, as it is at around 7,000 foot elevation. Now the bottom is very hot in the summer, but unless you do the hike to the river, you won't see those temps.

The North Rim is even higher elevation, so temperatures there are lower, and the crowds are much smaller too.

I love the North Rim, although facilities are limited. South Rim tends to be very crowded, still worth it!

Zion in the summer on the other hand, is VERY hot, and very crowded.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
North rim hint... if you're only there for a short time and don't have time or strength for an strenuous and extensive hike, take a horse or mule ride down the canyon! The guides on these 'dude strings' are great fun as well as quite knowledgeable, all you have to do is sit and relax while the beast does the work, and enjoy the views.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote