Towing and trip planning Colorado - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
I should have also mentioned that a small part of RGDN NM extends to the east of the river and gorge and there are some BLM and FS campgrounds like Chiflo, Big Arsenic Springs, La Junta Canyon and Cebola Mesa along the gorge. Here is a link to an interactive map of RGDN Nat Mon that shows locations of them. ArcGIS Web Application
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It has been awhile, but I stayed in site B24 at Lake San Luis when it was a state park (2012) It had a covered picnic table, electric, and bathrooms with pay showers. The lake was pretty much dried up. We drove by last September & it didn't look any different...
Sote B24:
Old 04-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Noticed there is a Wild Rivers Backcountry Scenic Byway that goes into the area just east of the Rio Grande gorge and it has several BLM campgrounds along it. Here is what BLM says about it: "The Wild Rivers Backcountry Byway is located in northern New Mexico, 26 miles north of Taos and 17 miles south of the Colorado-New Mexico state line, near the town of Questa. From New Mexico Highway 522, turn west onto NM 378 approximately 2 miles north of Questa. The Byway is an extension of NM 378 into BLM's Wild Rivers Recreation Area." We have not explored this area at all but after looking at the map really want to get up there to check it out. Apparently Rt 378 is a paved road, somewhat unusual for northern NM backroads.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We really liked San Luis Lake when it was a state park. It is in the middle of the very broad valley floor, under a big sky, and some campsites had a great view of the San Luis mountains and the Great Sand Dunes at the base of them to the east. Since the lake dried up they have downgraded it and it is no longer a state park, no water or showers, no electricity at the campground, but the campsites are still there and it is likely very sparsely visited these days so it is a terrific spot to get away from it all. The campsites are very nice, paved with covered picnic tables and fire rings - a great spot to sit with a campfire and enjoy the solitude of the area.

We stayed there a number of times over the years, our visits timed to go hike on the dunes at night under a full moon....it was cloudy every time

Tomorrow morning we load up and head for Chilliwack to pick up our 5.0TA and begin a new round of adventures, after long anticipation it's hard to believe the time has finally arrived!
Attached Thumbnails
San Luis Valley 2015.jpg   SL Campfire 1.jpg  
Old 04-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

Trailer: Still Deciding
Colorado Springs, Garden Of The Gods, Pike's Peak. I drove to the top of Pike's Peak..went through a thunderstorm, then a snowstorm...........had to wait at the 1/2 way mark for awhile for the snow to stop. Then on to the top. Warning if you have breathing problems be carefull with Pike's Peak, the elevation can be a challenge for breathing issues.Seven Falls.
Big Thompson Canyon..........we were actually through it right after the tragic flood.....still had marks where people were found.
Estes Park is fantastic!!!!! Best scenery ever!!!
Denver Mint is great if you're into coin collecting.
We went on North into Wyoming.........loved it!!!! Laramie on Rodeo Nights
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0
Just returned last week from picking up our new 5.0 and we went across Colorado. Hwy 50 across is beautiful. On the far west is Colorado National Monument, one of the best kept secrets of the US. Worth a drive through. Camped in Colorado Springs at a wonderful state campground, Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Garden Of The Gods and the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs are terrific too
Cary4run00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Monitor your trans temps

Last year we traveled from Toronto area to LA and back. We traveled through Colorado both ways. It was epic. We camped in Moab, Zion and on the Vegas strip as well as many KOA’s.

I towed a Escape 17B with my 2017 4RUNNER. I expect at 9000’ my 278hp turned into 200hp. I was only using third and forth gear at the high elevations. Going over the continental divide at Loveland Pass, I held it in second gear at 3500 rpm to make the summit.

My best advise, use a scanner to monitor your transmission temps. I use a ScanGauge2 bought off Amazon. I had to pull over 3 times to let it cool down. Twice it got to 222 F and once 230 F. At 250 F valves stop shifting and 275 F the oil breaks down. The best part was I learned to drive in OD increasing fuel mileage. Money well spent.

Here is the thread of my towing experience.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/2017-toyota-4runner-4-0v6-towing-my-experience-13422.html

Cheers
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Thanks!!Thoughts on best place to camp? We'll be there a few days.
San Luis State Wildlife Area is a little west of the Sand Dunes. It is on a lake and a short drive to the Great Sand Dunes. It was a state park when we were there five years ago. One reviewer said it was free to people over 65.
Ben
benwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 17B 2019
Hi reading through this post as we are planning a trip to Colorado in June (if we get lucky and the border stays open). Will look at getting a transmission cooler. If anyone familiar with the area has any comments about the plan or the roads, I’d really appreciate it. I want to make sure we can drive with the trailer. The map looks like all highway driving….We are driving down from BC. This is what I have booked in this order:
-3 nights at Green River in Dinosaur NM
-3 nights Saddlehorn Colorado NM
-3 nights Ridgway state park
-3 nights mesa verde
-2 nights Marshall Park near Creede
-4 nights Cheyenne mountain state park
-3 nights at Camp Hale near Leadville
-4 nights at moraine campground in RMNP
Can we drive the trailer around the west side of RMNP through Granby? We are used to mountain driving with the trailer but how stressful is this route to drive.
Thanks
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Can we drive the trailer around the west side of RMNP through Granby? We are used to mountain driving with the trailer but how stressful is this route to drive.
Thanks
I made that drive this past summer towing my 19' with my 4runner. No problems. Amount of stress depends on your gumption. Absolutely stunning scenery. Make sure you acclimate to the altitude before heading across there.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:

This is a very well designed, modern and busy campground, right on the edge (and up high) of a big city. Speaking for myself only, personally I would rather spend more time in one of the more remote campgrounds on your list. But of course you will be in a great position to visit museums, cultural events, fancy restaurants, etc. Enjoy!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Have not camped at the Colorado Monument but have driven through and were impressed. If you have time, drive up onto Grand Mesa as it is unique and the transition from desert to a forested mesa will surprise you.

We live 20 minutes from Ridgway State Park. It's a nice campground and the reservoir should have water in June. The drive from Grand Junction to Ridgway is easy. Continuing south from Montrose, the road is great but gets heavy local traffic. Watch for deer if driving near dawn or dusk. As you approach Ridgway, the views of the San Juans and Cimmarons are stunning. A day trip over Owl Creek Pass to Silverjack Reservoir is worth the time. It's not paved but an easy drive without your trailer.

We have not camped at Mesa Verde but have pulled our trailer twice to campgrounds at nearby Vallecito. There are 2 routes from Ridgway - 550 or 145. Both routes have spectacular scenery. The roads are well-maintained but be ready to pay attention! 550 (Million Dollar Highway) is more "famous" and Silverton is a good stopping point to rest and be a tourist. Both routes have stretches that twist and turn with moderate grades and drop-offs that are intimidating and no guardrails. The challenge for me is watching the road and not the scenery. Traffic is usually not an issue and the geography generally limits the speed.

If you choose 550, a day trip to Telluride is a beautiful drive and the town is fun. The San Miguel canyon from Placerville to Telluride is a notch above scenic. Ride the free gondola in Telluride if you have time.

If you choose 145, don't miss a quick trip to Ouray. The scenery is worth it and it's a good tourist town. They have a perimeter trail circling the town that is fairly gentle. Jeep tours into the old mining districts are well worth the cost. Yankee Boy basin is a good destination if you can swing it.

All the comments in this thread about reduced power, cooling, and effects of altitude are good advice.

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #33

Trailer: NE21
Last summer we traveled from Massachusetts to spend time with our kids in southern Co. We visited the Great Sand Dunes np and camped 2 nights at Zepata Falls BLM campground. Nice sites, first come first serve.... Nice short hike to the falls and beautiful views.
rjetre@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2012 E19
A nice day trip starting from Ridgway: Hwy 62 west to 145 west to Naturita, pick up Hwy 90 west (becomes Hwy 46 in Utah) to US 191 north. At Moab, take Hwy 128 scenic byway NE along the Colorado River until it meets I-70, then back through Grand Junction and Montrose. 62 and 145 drop steadily through various-colored layers of sandstone until you cross the San Miguel River, then you climb quickly and pop out on a grassy mesa with grazing cattle. As you continue west you have views of the La Sal Mountains to your north. Then Hwy 128 has more great views with sandstone. 335 miles, and good luck resisting the temptation to stop and take pictures multiple times.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
CO Monument and Ridgeway

We have camped at CO Monument in 2019 and at Ridgeway State Park in 2020. Coming from Denver, we went to the Monument campground from the more eastern entrance. Big mistake for nerves, it is a narrow and very winding road. Take the other entrance, much easier! It is a beautiful spot and wonderful hikes, gorgeous rock formations. Campground is nice, we did not have hookups and I dont remember the options.

Ridgeway State Park is a dark sky area. There are 3 campgrounds, each slightly different. We were at the one below the dam. Nice hikes, pretty river. That campground is pretty open, at least where we were. If you go there, it is worth a trip to the Ute Museum in Montrose, about 20 miles away. Very interesting for local history. Chief Ouray had a homestead there and his wife Chipeta was an important leader after her husband’s death.
Be aware of going over passes and watch the weather. June is after the snow (usually) but heavy rain could be nasty.
Enjoy!
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I'm basically a sea level traveller but were working on a trip to the high elevations of Colorado, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Great Sand Dunes, Rocky Mtn NP's, and Rio Grande del Norte NM. First, any travel tips and second, thoughts on towing at sustained 10-12000' elevations (21 and a Tacoma).

Thanks,

Greg
First of all, I think you will do fine. I think your Taco will too.

Make sure you know where all the high passes are, there are not that many. Then make sure the roads are good, remembering they deteriorate the higher you go, in weather. Generally the precipitation will increase the higher you go. Cotrip.org will give you road conditions and cameras.

You can easily stay on all paved roads. So not to worry there. When you hit the big downhill grades, I usually put my Tundra in 3rd and let the engine help. I have gone down to 2. Just go easy and don't worry about going slow and keeping someone behind you. It will be alright and slow and steady gets along with Colorado roads really well.

Most of the places you are aiming for, have lots of bail campgrounds and alternate plans nearby. The Front Range of Colorado is not as wild as the rest of the state, but we have lots of campgrounds everywhere. If you can't get in Morraine CG, try for Brainard Lake National Rec Area. Prepare to be blown away. Pawnee Campground is the name, big moose is the game. Stunning mountains.

Check each campground for accessibility. For instance Saddlehorn CG in Colorado National Monument is on my all time **** List. No grading beyond the initial pass with a D9. Everyone there uses all the leveling tricks they have. It totally sucks, and they will rent you campsites you cannot get in!!! Check carefully. But the monument is spectacular. They got a wine district there too.

Instead of San Luis Valley which is totally hot and windy, go a little farther past Antonito to the Conejos River Valley and thank me in beer. The R.M. Fiberglass Group meets up there. The Lake Fork is my favorite. Absolutely the best. Everywhere you go will have something really great close. Keeping asking questions. Study Google maps to start with.

June is a great time. Not quite hot and everything is very green. Still a little snow in the shade, but really my fav.

I think you will love it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and drink plenty of liquids, I suffered from altitude sickness and had to stop for one night to recuperate until I got acclimated.
I suggest moderation. It is myth that "plenty of liquids" helps with altitude sickness. A little extra helps but not too much... Of course, 10,000 ft. is a bit low for really dangerous altitude sickness. I have only worried about it (and started Diamox) when the sleeping altitude was going to exceed 10,000 ft.

Myths About Altitude — Institute For Altitude Medicine
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I suggest moderation. It is myth that "plenty of liquids" helps with altitude sickness. A little extra helps but not too much... Of course, 10,000 ft. is a bit low for really dangerous altitude sickness. I have only worried about it (and started Diamox) when the sleeping altitude was going to exceed 10,000 ft.

Myths About Altitude — Institute For Altitude Medicine
Not to disagree but there have been many times friends came up from out of state (sea level) to ski, or camp or something else and had trouble. There are three cabins at the top of Shrine Pass (Shrine is just off of Vail pass), that have sent some of my friends back to their cars so they can drive to a lower elevation. One guy had to ski his mother out in the middle of the night.

Most of the time, it is just an inconvenience. People wake up in the middle of the night with a headache or feeling like they need air. In the cabins I mentioned, they use old Mica faced wood burning stoves. The Mica tolerates the extreme heat, but those stoves suck all the air out of a room and leave people gasping. So extenuating circumstances can exacerbate an already difficult situation.

So Kavm is mostly right, but if you stay above 10,000 feet, you might begin to feel it. In Colorado, unlike most states, you can drive to 10,000 feet.

And mixing that with too much exercise can be fatal. A good friend of ours, came out and climbed an easy fourteener (14,000 foot peak), got back to his car, had a heart attack and died right there. 42 years old, husband and father of 3.

So just realize that above 10,000 feet is another world. Tread carefully, use sunscreen.

One last thing. Last I heard, the NFL requires their athletes to consume water while in flight. Even for commercial flights. They do this because they know what happens with dehydration at elevation.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #39

Quote:
-3 nights at Green River in Dinosaur NM
-3 nights Saddlehorn Colorado NM
-3 nights Ridgway state park
-3 nights mesa verde
-2 nights Marshall Park near Creede
-3 nights at Camp Hale near Leadville
-4 nights at moraine campground in RMNP
Thanks
Yes you can drive over the mountains, in the park. Hwy 34 turns into Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous paved road in the lower 48. It is a white knuckle drive but entirely safe. It tops out at 12,600 feet and has some of the best scenery in the park. The other side (West side) is the headwaters of the Colorado river and has a nice campground, Timber Creek. Lots of moose.

You can also get there by staying on I-70 until Hwy 40 (Berthoud pass) and arriving at the West side without going over Trail Ridge road. Berthoud is a very impressive pass. That is a great area!

When in Ridgeway, make sure you get into Ouray! Mandatory. Telluride is just over Dallas Divide and also mandatory. Everything there is mountainous, except Ridgeway. Ridgeway is the last of the flat towns coming from Grand Junction.

I like your itinerary. Three days at each place is good. You might wish for more time in a few places. There is just too many things to do.

If you have any special questions, I can try to answer them.

Watch out for Saddlehorn CG. Read my other comments.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Not to disagree but there have been many times friends came up from out of state (sea level) to ski, or camp or something else and had trouble. There are three cabins at the top of Shrine Pass (Shrine is just off of Vail pass), that have sent some of my friends back to their cars so they can drive to a lower elevation. One guy had to ski his mother out in the middle of the night.

Most of the time, it is just an inconvenience. People wake up in the middle of the night with a headache or feeling like they need air. In the cabins I mentioned, they use old Mica faced wood burning stoves. The Mica tolerates the extreme heat, but those stoves suck all the air out of a room and leave people gasping. So extenuating circumstances can exacerbate an already difficult situation.

So Kavm is mostly right, but if you stay above 10,000 feet, you might begin to feel it. In Colorado, unlike most states, you can drive to 10,000 feet.

And mixing that with too much exercise can be fatal. A good friend of ours, came out and climbed an easy fourteener (14,000 foot peak), got back to his car, had a heart attack and died right there. 42 years old, husband and father of 3.

So just realize that above 10,000 feet is another world. Tread carefully, use sunscreen.

One last thing. Last I heard, the NFL requires their athletes to consume water while in flight. Even for commercial flights. They do this because they know what happens with dehydration at elevation.
The link I included and the institute that it represents is very well regarded in the climbing community. I have hiked / climbed to about 19,000 ft following its directions and did not have a problem (when there are annual deaths from altitude sickness in that area). The serious altitude sickness comes in the form of HAPE and HACE (pulmonary and cerebral edema) and roughly 10,000 ft of sleeping altitude is the starting point.

That said, I do know what you are referring to. Once we drove to Aspen and went up to the Electric pass the very first day and spent a bit too long picnicking at the top. Both my wife and I had headaches that were altitude related.

But, this area is also full of myths - which seem to work until they don’t. There are people who swear by garlic, for instance. Drinking water on airplane can be a good thing for any number of reasons - the primary being dry air.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote