Towing and trip planning Colorado - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #41

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Thanks so much for the helpful tips. Feeling more confident. Will let hubby do the scary driving, heights make me feel a bit dizzy and will take it easy on the hiking for the first few days and drink lots in case that helps and not just beer. I think I’ll keep the itinerary as planned as so hard to book sites even this far out. Watched a YouTube about someone driving a large RV with a tow so certainly looks doable. Might leave the west side of RMNP for when we aren’t towing. Really hoping the pandemic cooperates and we can do this trip as really excited. I keep booking these trips and then having to cancel. Booking national park sites is time consuming! I booked this trip and cancelled last September. Also have cancelled Oregon coast, grand Tetons, Newfoundland, Olympic peninsula since Covid started. We are lucky lots of beautiful camping in BC and Alberta I guess.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Bcescapist- a couple of thoughts on your itinerary (from someone who has camped at nearly every location on your list):

- As others have mentioned, there are a lot of great places between Ridgway and Mesa Verde. I would consider cutting out a Mesa Verde/Ridgway night or two in favor of at least a night or two in the vicinity of Telluride/Ouray/Silverton (depending on your stomach for Red Mtn Pass). It's one of the most beautiful parts of the state, IMHO, and deserves more than just a driving day to Mesa Verde.

- Is there a particular draw to Cheyenne Mountain? That seems like an unnecessary exit from the mountains for four nights when there are a lot of incredible places between Creede and Camp Hale. I would work my way north to Camp Hale via Gunnison or Salida. PM me if you want specific suggestions.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 21
When up at Creede make sure you do the loop that goes by all the old silver mines. Beautiful scenery up there well worth the drive we stay in Southfork every your for a month backed up to the Rio Grande river
Old 02-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I'll mention one of my favorites: Trappers Lake, second largest natural lake in Colorado. The campground rarely fills with the possible exception of 4th of July and Labor Day. The campground has no electricity, cell service or sewer connections, but you can fill your tank with great rocky mountain spring water if you bring a long hose. Moderate to heavy shade in most sites so a portable solar panel is helpful. Trailer dump is available and a near-by lodge has good things to eat and local information.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Great feedback. Am going to stay an extra night at ridgway and do day trip while not towing. Thinking about taking the trailer down 145 instead. Interesting the negative feedback about Cheyenne mountain. I thought it looked interesting around there but will see if I can rearrange things for one less night. Wonderful to hear from Colorado folks, thank you.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 E19
Excited for you; it's beautiful out that way.

The Million Dollar Hwy from Ouray to Ridgway is more challenging than the route past Telluride, yet it is not to be missed IMO, especially the section between Ouray and Silverton. For someone who's not as experienced towing trailers, it might be more comfortable to drive that section without the trailer as another partial-day outing, and then use the western route past Telluride to go to the cliff dwellings. You could soak in the hot springs at Ouray, drive up the hill to Amphitheater NF CG and park at the overlook (great view of the town below and you can see the waterfall from there also), then on the drive to and from Silverton you could take turns driving the two directions so each person will have a chance to gape at the views while the other pays minute attention to the driving.

Plan to drive into Telluride and see the waterfall over there, too. Just south of town, stop to take a photo of Trout Lake with the mountains in the background; I managed to get a nice pic (on slide film) of a fly fisherman doing his thing, for foreground interest.

If you go through Pagosa Springs and head north to Wolf Creek Pass, there are a couple of scenic spots. First you'll have a turnout on your right for a nice waterfall, then a half mile later a turnout on the left with a fabulous view of the valley floor.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:51 AM   #47

Yep beautiful country around South Fork we stay in South Fork every September exploring the area
Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Ridgeway means hot springs! Make sure you go. Ridgeway has a nice one.

Ouray has two sets. I like Orvis H.S. because it's hotter but also nakie optional. The hot springs downtown don't get hot enough.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #49

Ughhh no one would want to be around to see this beached whale in it birthday suit ��������